Eomma

Stay At My House

 

"Eomma!" I cried out. The nurses pushed me out of the room while my appa pulled. "Eomma! Please! Wake up!"

Her frail body shook uncontrollably and doctors and nurses were crowded around her. I continued to yell for my eomma. I needed her to wake up. I needed her to come back home happy and healthy. I tried to pull myself out of the nurses and my appa's grips, even hitting a nurse in the process. But my fourteen-year-old body wasn't strong enough and I was probably just wasting energy. I gave up and let my teary-eyed appa drag me away from the traumatic scene-- and also the last time that I would see my eomma.

"Eomma…" I sobbed as she disappeared from my sight.
 

"Hello?" Key said, flinging his arms around in front of me and trying to gain my attention. "Listen when I'm talking!" He scolded.

"Mianhae," I said. I was surprised that I was thinking about that horrible day my eomma left us.

"As I was saying…" 

Oh please, I wasn't really going to listen to his nagging. It didn't take long before my mind trailed off again… 
 

I watched my appa and Nurse Choi outside of my eomma's room from the set of seats about ten metres away. 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Park," the nurse began sadly, looking down. "It was just her time to go."

Emptiness ran through my body, I felt like I would just collapse right there. My eomma was gone.

Appa fell to the ground on his knees, cupping his face in his hands. His beloved was gone.

Tears streamed down my face as I slowly realised how real this situation was; that my eomma really was no longer of this world. I could hear my appa's wails of despair. Almost inaudible words but all begging for my eomma to come back.

Nurse Choi bent down to comfort my appa. "Think about it, at least now she won't be in pain. She is watching over you and your daughter in peace and happiness."
 

Suddenly a hand covered my eyes, stopping my flashback. "Hye Sun, I know what you're thinking about whenever you zone out," Key said, taking his hand away.

"Yeah, I know right, food's always in my mind," I covered up.

"No, your eomma is," he looked sadly at me. I sighed.

"How did you know?" 

"You always think about her, I can tell. Unless someone has you really focused on something else. You do realise I only nag you so that you'll get your mind off her, right?It's unappealing seeing you when you zone out, you look sad, and when you're sad you're ugly."

"Thank you Key, really," I said sarcastically.

"Smiling would make you pretty," he said, lifting my head up by my chin. "I'd probably be ugly like you too if my own eomma passed away… but seeing you like this really breaks my heart," he said quietly.

He was right. My attitude  must really kill the happy aura of a room. I quickly lightened up my facial expressions.

"Hey look!" Another student hanging in the school quad, undoubtedly in a younger grade, called and pointed at me. "Eonni is smiling!"

… Obviously this little is judgemental. I smile a lot, she's just never around. I glowered at her.

Jae Mi looked up from her book. "It's true, you know," she said, "It's nice that you're smiling. Especially today."

I realised why I was remembering that day. Today was my eomma's death anniversary. I had tried to not take note of this day, it was only a painful memory. I slumped and I was pretty sure a tear fell.

Everyone in MBLAQ and Key must have noticed because they all gave Jae Mi a 'why-did-you-say-that-goddamit' look. 

"I try to get her mind off it and then this," Key pointed at Jae Mi.

"I'm so sorry Hye Sun," she looked very apologetic. I wiped my face, surely enough a few tears had escaped.

"It's fine, Jae," I smiled at her. 

My phone started ringing. ~Unknown number~ it read. I answered unwillingly. 

"… Yeoboseyo?" I spoke into the speaker. These calls were usually prankers, telemarketers or someone I didn't want to talk to.

"Hye Sun-ah," a familiar voice responded. Sure enough, it was someone I didn't want to talk to. I quickly excused myself from the group and went somewhere quiet.

I lifted the phone to my face and spoke. "What do you want, Oppa? I thought you didn't want to talk to me anymore."

"Not altogether, I just wanted to keep our relationship low profile," he corrected.

"Whatever, what is it?" I sighed.

"You know what today is."

"Yeah, I know."

"I'm coming over, let's go visit Eomma."


 

Keke, wondering who 'Oppa' is? You shall find out next chapter, which I'll post tomorrow or earlier :) Because turns out I have internet connection during my holidays :D i can probably update normally ^^

Please subscribe and comment ^^ <3