Sweet dessert

The Scarecrow's Necklace

 

  The girl's mother smiled as she surveyed the corn her daughter had picked.

  "Good job sweetie," she said, leaning in to kiss her daughter on her cheek.

  The girl beamed up at her mother. 

  "There's alot, isn't there? And it's all good," she gushed.

  Her mum nodded, then pushed a bowl of dessert to her.

  "Mango paste with aloe vera, that aloe vera is fresh from our garden," she said, smiling at her daughter.

  The girl nodded, picked up a spoon, and shovelled it down . No sooner had she eaten half the bowl did she set the spoon down.

  "What's wrong honey?" her mother asked.

  The girl shook her head.

  "Can i go out to the fields to eat this?" she asked.

  Her mother laughed.

  "Really sweetie, eat this in the fields?" she asked.

  The girl nodded eagerly.

  Her mother stared at her wistful face and sighed, amused.

  "Oh well then, go on," she said, returning back to scraping the corn to sell.

  The girl grabbed the bowl and spoon, then rushed out the door towards the fields. Reaching it, she found the boy waiting patiently for her to return.

  "Here," she said, pushing the bowl and spoon into his hands.

  "What's this?' he asked, hesitantly sticking the spoon into the dessert.

  "Its mango paste with aloe vera, and the aloe vera's our very own home grown. My mum made this, go on, eat it!" the girl urged him.

  A slow smile spread across his face.

  "She must have liked the corn we picked," he said, turning to her.

  She nodded, smiling back at him.

  The boy grinned once more, then started wolfing down the dessert.

  "Good?" she asked anxiously.

  "Awesome," he replied.