Him, back again

The Scarecrow's Necklace

 

  The tink of a bell rang as I pushed open the glass door of Latte Delight Cafe.

  "~~~! How was it?!" a voice gushed as I was enveloped by my best friend's arms. I pried her arms away from me, shaking my head as I recounted the morning's goings to her, how it was just false hope, how I had apologised for wasting his time, and how I had finally left his house disappointed.

  She sighed as she watched me tie the white frilly apron all employees had to wear around my waist.

  "It's okay, just keep trying," she said rather half-heartedly as she handed me my pen and notepad.

  "Yeah, and one of these days I'll rush into the shop shouting to the world that I FINALLY found him," I said sarcastically as I took my materials from her.

  She frowned at me.

  "Yeah, yeah, I know Miyeon. I'll just keep searching, what else can I do?" I said dully.

  She blew me a kiss.

  "Faith, girlfriend," she said, winking at me.

  "Yeah, i need it, its slowly deflating," I muttered as I pasted a smile on my face for our day's first few customers.

 =====================================================================================

  "One more latte for table 6," Miyeon said rather breathlessly, and I nodded, drawing up another cup in addition to the one I was already attending to. It was in the late afternnon, and the cafe was having one of its good days. I got ready the two lattes and brought them to table 6.

  "Enjoy!" I said cheerily, and turned to go back to the kltchen. Whirling around, I stood frozen to the spot. Minho was pulling open the door, looking just as wonderful as ever. Letting out a little shriek, I grabbed Miyeon and pulled her to the kitchen.

  "That's Choi Minho!" I told her in hushed tones.

  She stuck her head around the counter, then ducked back down.

  "Girl, he's hot!" she exclaimed.

  "I know! And he probably doesn't have a good impression of me, after this morning's fiasco!" I groaned.

  Just at that moment, the bell at the counter rang.

  "Anybody?" someone asked.

  "Its him! Go!" I hissed, pushing Miyeon up.

  "Um, hi, what can I get you?" I heard Miyeon say cheerfully.

  "I'm er, actually looking for your colleague? ~~~?" I heard him ask.

  My heart froze in place. Looking for me? How did he know I would be here?!

  "Um, hold on just a second," Miyeon told him, then she ducked down beside me.

  "Go!" she whispered, pointing up.

  "No! I can't!" I protested helplessly.

  "You have to! He's looking for you!" Miyeon said.

  This time, I was the one who earned a hard push.

  "~~~~?" Minho asked, surprised.

  I smiled weakly. He cast a curious glance downwards.

  "Er, we're just looking for some supplies," I mangaed lamely. It wasn't surprising that he found it weird to have waitresses popping up from below the counter.

  He nodded warily.

  "Anyway, I just decided to drop by since you left this at my house," he said, handing over a piece of paper.

  It had his name and address written on it. And it was a piece of paper from my notepad with the faint imprint of "Latte Delight Cafe" written on it.

  Oh. So that's how he knew I worked here.

  I blushed, furious with myself for leaving it behind. It just made things more awkward between us.

  "Er yeah. That. You shouldn't have bothered to come all the way here over that," I said, flustered as I took the paper from him and stuffed it into my apron pocket.

  He smiled.

  "Just thought I'd drop by to see you too," he said.

  My heart started springing wildly all over my chest. I forced myself to smile back.

  "Why don't you have a seat then? I'll get you a latte and cookies. On the house of course," I promised, gesturing to the nearby tables which were still available. He grinned, then sauntered over to the nearest table.

  My hand shook with excitement as I prepared the latte and shook out the cookies onto a clean plate. Miyeon sprang up beside me, grinning.

  "What's that about not having a good impression on you again?" she teased.

  I felt the shade of red rising to my cheeks again.

  She laughed gaily.

  "He's interested in youu-uuu!" she sang.

  I shushed her although I was slightly pleased and took the latte and cookies over to Minho. I could feel her eyes on me as I placed the food on his table and waited as he took a sip of the latte. he gave me a thumbs up. I managed a smile before rushing back behind the counter.

  I clutched at her.

  "Isn't he just wonderful?" I gushed.

  She nodded, gazing thoughtfully at him.

  "Hey, he's mine," I said playfully. She giggled.

  "Oh, I've set my sights on someone else," she said.

  I raised my eyebrows at her.

  "Oh no, he's here already!" she moaned, frantically running her fingers through her hair and smoothing down her dress.

  I looked up at the door, and guess who?

  Delivery boy.