Chapter 2

The City is Mine

Two thoughts hit Ravi as he jogged along the sidewalk, weaving and swerving through the steady pedestrian traffic who clearly had better time management skills than him and therefore didn’t have to rush. One, it was ing winter, why the hell hadn’t he grabbed his jacket in his morning stupor? And two, he had the greatest rhyme ever running through his head and if he stopped thinking about it then it would surely leave him forever never to return. So, it was not with the steadiest concentration that he barreled along, offering a quick grin and apology to those he might bump.

 

For whatever reason, he lived the perfect distance from his work so that he could either wake up early to catch the subway and get there without worrying. Or he could sleep longer and run and still make it there on time. To be fair, he’d honestly tried the waking up early thing for about two weeks before he knew it was never going to happen. Hongbin had laughed himself stupid the first time he’d asked to set the alarm earlier than they usually had it, complete with his stupid adorable little foot stomps. And well after that grievous insult Ravi had been forced to retaliate with a pillow to the face, from there it just deteriorated into a very intense pillow fight and destroyed bedroom.

 

And he still hadn’t been able to wake up in time for the stupid subway. Mornings were lame.

 

Legs with a mind of their own turned him down a side street that was a 50/50 shot of either delaying him or cutting his run by five minutes. It all depended on if the refuse truck was taking up the full alley when he happened to come by. He dashed down the first street keeping an ear out for the sound of the truck before skidding around a corner to see a gloriously empty alley way. He definitely wasn’t going to be late this time he thought as he did a leap frog over a trash receptacle.

 

A part of him, a part he wasn’t about to admit to, really enjoyed the morning rush to work. Even if he could leave to get there on time, he’d miss the endorphin high that came from sprinting there. And maybe he’d miss racing the clock too, but that was such a ridiculous notion. What kind of person liked tempting fate and racing the clock? Certainly not Ravi, no sir. But the run did wake him up.

 

With a couple of minutes to spare before the start of his shift at a corner convenience store he came sliding in through the door, waving a frantic hand at his boss while rushing to store his bag in the back room. He kicked his pack under a table and donned the apron that was the standard ‘uniform’ for the shop; it was basically just passed between all the part timers. As such it wasn’t all that surprising to find a new stain on it or a slight hole.

 

“Good morning Wonsikie.” Behind the main register counter his boss, a kind man who had taken pity on a rain drenched Ravi years ago, updated his tally. ‘Days Wonsikie hasn’t been late’ changed from 14 to 15, he was creeping up on a new record. “Did you have breakfast?” Seo Eunchan was more like a father away from home to Ravi than he was his boss. Maybe that was why Ravi had never gone looking for another morning job despite the low pay.

 

“Yes, thank you,” Ravi replied, wasting no time in getting to work organizing the aisles and rows of snacks and convenience items. It didn’t take too long because it wasn’t a very big shop, but no one was going to accuse him of not being diligent and a good worker. For most of the morning he just picked up around the shop, made sure to dust the counters and wash the windows at least from the inside as well as restock any of the items they were getting low on from the boxes piled up in their storage room.

 

There was a companionable quiet in the store, except when the odd customer dropped by; it gave him lots of time to think. It was a good time to work on his rhymes, and he did so with a thoughtful face, sometimes scrunching up in concentration as he mentally flowed through some verses. He had a couple days until the next gathering of rappers for a throwdown happened. The night before had been one of his good nights, despite getting home so late he’d been on point all evening. Even smoked a few of the other contenders much to the crowd’s pleasure if the ‘ooooo’s and rabble had been any indication.

 

The only problem was, he didn’t particularly like the battles. Insult after insult slung through a mic to jeers and cheers. The dirtier the grime the more the people got fired up and that’s what made a rapper’s name rise to the top, at least around the crowd he ran with. But Ravi just wanted to rap, he wanted to craft lyrical masterpieces that could stun the world and make everyone stop for a moment to listen. He wanted to be able to send a message that was more than just himself, he wanted to send a projection of his ideal self and views through his music. But until he gained more acknowledgement, it was still nights of battle raps and disses.

 

Something of his thoughts must have shown on his face since Eunchan paused in arranging some kimbap to peer at him. “Wonsikie, come here.” Ravi jerked out of his thoughts and straightened his posture before following the order. “Here”, his boss held out a plastic wrap covered kimbap triangle, “eat this before your nap, you look a little tired.” A protest died on his lips before he could even utter it. “Listen to your boss, Wonsikie.” Eunchan wagged his finger at him before giving him a pat on the back. “You’re a good boy, I’m sure you’ll figure out whatever problem is on your mind.” Eunchan never pried, even though he could see when Ravi was concerned; he was only ever supportive. “Thank you for your hard work today.” The older man smiled and plopped the kimbap into Ravi’s hand before ambling back toward the register.

 

‘What hard work?’ Ravi thought as he tugged the apron off over his head. This was by far his easier job and it never really felt too much like labor rather than helping out a family member. “Isn’t that right, kimbap-ssi?” he asked the seaweed wrapped food before snickering to himself. Strictly speaking he probably shouldn’t have used the back room of the store for a nap, but Eunchan never seemed to mind, in fact he mostly encouraged it, always telling Ravi he didn’t get enough at night.

 

In short order Ravi had devoured the kimbap, a smile spread across his face because it had been his favorite fillings. Of course his boss would know. Somehow, he was in a better mood when he laid his head down on the table in the back, his backpack clutched to his chest. That must have been his boss’s plan all along. It was a matter of seconds until soft snores were echoing quietly in the room.

 

And it was a good thing he’d got his rest, because his second job was as busy as ever. Coffee House was a cute independent cafe that stood out even against the big company chains that seemed to permeate the streets of Sangeu. They were known for friendly service, perfectly roasted coffee beans that never left a bitter taste, and excellent pastries. The atmosphere was chic but homey at the same time. Warm wood tones and soft music kept the place feeling cozy while also looking a touch classy. It was a favored haunt for highschool and college kids but didn’t seem to turn away young professionals either.

 

Depending on the day Ravi could work the register or make coffee or switch between the two at the drop of a hat. Customers loved him and he was pretty good about remembering orders for their regulars but even more they loved his latte art. Nothing extravagant, he just liked adding little touches to make people smile.

 

“Put a pokeball on this one!” Hyuk, one of his co-workers called over to him from the register, indicating the receipt he’d pinned to the order board. It made Ravi laugh but he nodded and gave the thumbs up to acknowledge the request. Trust Hyuk to find the one customer who’d want a pokeball on their latte. He was a good kid though, still in college and trying to earn some extra cash when he wasn’t studying. More than once Ravi had spotted him nose deep in some text book during his breaks. Sometimes Ravi wasn’t sure if he was too smart for his own good since his mouth would run at times thinking he knew better.

 

With his trusty stirring stick in hand, Ravi crafted his art, grinning his face off and telling himself he absolutely must not start laughing or else he’d probably ruin the drink. It was lucky for him that the shape was so simple. Reading the name off the receipt, he set the drink on the service counter, “Pokemon Trainer Donggeun-ssi!” The student who’d ordered it got a chuckle out of it and they high fived briefly. People like that made the job actually fun.

 

“Ravi-hyung, can you take over register?” Hyuk turned to him with a devilish smirk being sure to keep his back toward the line of customers, one in particular, the one at the register.

 

And then there were people like him that made the job so very, very interesting. Ravi nodded and felt his mouth automatically tip up into a grin. The man at the register merely continued to stare at the pair of them with a serious expression. His dark hair was down and swept just along his eyebrows, high and wide cheekbones, and the cutest cupid’s bow lips Ravi had ever seen. And then there his eyes, long and narrow and a little dangerous, they reminded him of a stalker jungle cat.

 

The man had no name, at least not one Ravi knew. He’d been coming into the cafe for months and never once had given his name for the order, silently just shaking his head no when he was asked. And he always paid in cash too, never used a card so that was a bust as well. It was always the same, he’d come to the register, quietly with the softest voice order a double shot latte to go and then pay with cash and wait silently at the service counter. As it stood, Ravi had dubbed him ‘Tall Double Shot Latte with Cat Eyes’ and never failed to add a ‘=(^ㅅ^)=’ as the art to his drink.

 

Sometimes he’d stick around, find a table to sip his drink a while still just watching the room with his intense gaze. Other times, the bad times in Ravi’s opinion, he’d leave just as quietly as he came in. No matter which it was, the mystery of the stranger pulled at him and all Ravi had been able to do was hang back and hope that he’d still be there when he got the courage to go speak with him. But he never was.

 

“What can I make for you?” Ravi asked easily, already knowing the answer before the other man could speak with that soft voice. ‘Double shot latte to go.’ Ravi thought along with him as he answered. Just as he’d expected. “Happy to,” he offered a large smile to the man but was met with the same serious expression as always. “What name would you like us to use to call out your order?” Ravi phrased his question in a way that meant the man didn’t need to give his actual name but still only received a head shake in answer, the other’s intense eyes never leaving Ravi’s face. “Alright, maybe next time,” but they both knew that wasn’t going to happen, “your total comes to…” but he couldn’t even finish as the man across the counter was already setting out the exact amount. “Well I guess you already know,” Ravi laughed so his eyes crinkled. “It’ll be right up.”

 

As the man left to wait at the service counter Hyuk tugged on Ravi’s sleeve. “Hyung, I can’t do latte art like you, take over that?” Bless this boy, it wasn’t as if he couldn’t see what he was trying to do. Hyuk didn’t wait for an answer, simply gave his hyung a tug toward the espresso machine while he took up his post at the register again. Furtively, Ravi peeked over toward Tall Double Shot Latte with Cat Eyes to see if he’d witnessed their obvious display but it looked like he was just staring at the floor.

 

He wouldn’t say that he spent extra care on the latte, he was just a little more aware of it while he steamed the milk and brewed the double shot. Carefully he etched on the same cat face he’d been using for all of the months that the man had been coming to the cafe while Ravi was working. If he ever noticed that he had the same art each time, he never mentioned it, but that didn’t stop Ravi from grinning at the cute little mouth on the cat. The store had ordered clear to go cup lids just for occasions like this. Even the coffee drinker on the go could appreciate their artistry.

 

“Double shot latte to go.” Instead of using a name Ravi called out the drink order. He didn’t need to since the man was standing right there, but it gave him an excuse to meet his eyes and hold out his drink to him. All he got for his trouble was a nod and… was that a slight upturn of his lips? Could it have been a smile? Ravi wasn’t sure since it had been there for all of a microsecond, he very well could have imagined it.

 

It was hard to not watch him go, so he didn’t. Ever so casually, Ravi leaned back to see if the man would stay this day. But he didn’t.

 

After that and a few playful teasing barbs from Hyuk, the rest of the day was so much less interesting. The busy hour hit and he could barely remember his own name among all the drink orders let alone wonder about Tall Double Shot Latte with Cat Eyes. The cafe was quite figuratively swimming in people and neither he nor Hyuk got a breather until the rush hour was over. They both just leaned back against the counter, a slight sheen of sweat on their brows from all the steam.

 

“You look beat,” a familiar voice called out from the counter and Ravi looked up to spy Hongbin beaming at him, his face eating smile wide. God, why were there so many handsome bastards showing up in his shop today? He was only one Ravi, he could only handle so much. Never mind that he had been the one to tell Hongbin to come visit. “Rough day?” Hongbin asked.

 

“His boyfriend showed up.” Hyuk replied with a grin before prancing out of reach just in case Ravi chose to retaliate.

 

“Oh, Tall Double Shot Latte with Cat Eyes?” Hongbin asked, eyebrows rising high on his forehead. “Did you get a name this time?” He’d been hearing stories about the mysterious Latte guy with cat’s eyes for months. It would be a lie to say he wasn’t interested in learning the newest chapter of the saga.

 

Ravi sighed and hung his head shaking it from side to side. “Sadly no. But there’s always next time right?” He chose to keep the maybe could have been a smile to himself. “You want a drink? I’m about to go on break.”

 

“Boba milk tea please.” Hongbin grinned teasing out his dimples.