Chapter 27

The City is Mine

~ Taekwoon’s POV ~

 

The Victory Theatre stood tall and proud in the afternoon sunlight, the windows sparkling with a crystalline quality enhanced by the bite of the cold. Somehow it looked different to Taekwoon, from all the times he’d taken the steps there, it had been familiar before, comforting even in its age. But this time it felt foreign, imposing and out of place. It didn’t feel right. Something was off but he couldn’t place his finger on it.

 

It should have felt like they were getting closer to the answer but the more time dragged on the more it felt like it was slipping through his fingers. Or maybe it felt more like the noose was tightening around his neck. Taekwoon didn’t have any blinders on in that regard. He knew that without finding the true culprit, he was the only logical suspect. The thought left a bitter taste in his mouth. Maybe he wouldn’t get convicted, maybe the case would go unsolved, he’d always wonder what had really happened. And on a more practical note, he wasn’t sure how he’d weather being a supposed murderer for the rest of his life, even if he wasn’t convicted.

 

He’d already avoided the calls from his parents and family, instead relegating to himself to e-mails and text messages. Perhaps it was cowardice, but he’d decided to not tell them of the investigation into himself. Why give them the worry? What would they say once they found out? The disappointment in their eyes was clear to him, even in his mind. No, they’d believe him, wouldn’t they? Doubt bubbled up in his mind, it’d been so long since he was home, did they feel they knew their son still?

 

A hand nudged his shoulder pulling him out of his own dark thoughts, he glanced over to see Hongbin’s worried face. They’d stalled in front of the theatre entrance. “You okay?” He wasn’t, but he didn’t want to worry the other man further so he nodded silently. Somehow Hongbin looked unconvinced. “If you just tell me what I’m looking for, like what secret areas I should be looking in, I can take care of the rest you know?” But he knew that wasn’t true. Hongbin had looked all but lost the previous day when he’d thought of searching the theatre by himself. Taekwoon wasn’t about to leave him to it.

 

Besides, there was no reason to be apprehensive. He’d been to the theatre since the murder, why would it be any different? Squaring his shoulders, he shook his head and took the step forward to have the entrance doors sliding open before him. Hongbin followed after him and maybe he felt it too because they both stood silent for a moment. That was until the clack of rapid footfalls drew both of their attention toward a grinning Hakyeon.

 

“Ahh you’re here, I’m so glad!” His face seemed to radiate happiness and it almost set Taekwoon out of ease. Had there been a break in the case? How come he hadn’t heard of it? Had he already found the prop and disposed of it? Taekwoon didn’t think Hakyeon was the killer but he didn’t like the overly cheerfulness. “Taekwoonie, I didn’t know you were coming too. Did we have plans? Have I forgotten?” What was he supposed to say? He didn’t want to admit that they were there to search the theatre. His face remained blank while he thought.

 

“Oh, I asked Taekwoon-ah if he would come with me to be my assistant.” Hongbin’s voice cut in and he gave sheepish smile. “I want to cover a lot of ground today but don’t want to set up all my stands at every location so I asked if he’d come and help out.” Taekwoon wasn’t sure about the validity of that statement but only nodded to try and cover it up.

 

For a moment Hakyeon just peered at the both of them suspiciously, eyes narrowed and face drawing closer to try and suss out their lie. Taekwoon kept his face passive as Hongbin busied his eyes elsewhere. It went on for what seemed like minutes until the manager pulled back with a satisfied expression. “You just want to make out in the empty theatre, don’t you?” He gave a knowing smirk and patted them both on the head. “Ah, that’s so cute. I’ll allow it then. But don’t be too obvious, I told a few of the cast and crew that the theatre is open now because they wanted to come pick some stuff up. You never know who might drop by, unless you want to give them a show.” He winked and grinned again before patting them both on the shoulder and sauntering away. “I’m in my office if you need me.”

 

They both stood stock still. Hakyeon hadn’t bought their excuse at all but he didn’t seem to realize why Taekwoon was there either. It amounted to the same thing, but that didn’t stop the air from turning slightly awkward. “So,” Hongbin was rubbing the back of his neck and staring at the ground, “should we start then?” Taekwoon could only nod his silent thanks in return. It wasn’t strange that they’d done just that before, but rather that Hakyeon was so cheerfully okay with the idea. It made him feel like a teenager all over again and his parents were suddenly having the talk about condoms with him again. Eugh, Taekwoon shook his head to remove the thought.

 

True to his word, Hongbin did have him holding reflectors and light sources for him as the man snapped pictures of certain settings. There was a certain eerie quality to the not quite pristine theatre, almost a scene frozen in motion sans all the people. When he’d deemed that they’d had enough to satisfy Hakyeon they began their search in earnest. “Like this,” Taekwoon gestured to the one of the intricately carved wood wall panels before glancing around to be sure they were alone. He slid his fingers along a ridge until he found the slight dip in the frame. Pushing up, a faint click could be heard before a portion of the panel popped out and he swung it open.

 

Half of him was wishing that the prop would just be sitting there, waiting for him to find it. But the small space hidden behind the wall was empty except for a fine layer of dust. No one was really sure why the theatre had been built with so many little secret hideaways or even how many there were. The cast had made it into a sort of game during breaks of rehearsals to find however many they could. “They’re all over the theatre.”

 

“We could do this for days and not have enough time to check every wall though!” Hongbin’s face said it all, doubt and pre-emptive disappointment written all over it. And well, he wasn’t wrong, but it was the only idea Taekwoon had. Sure it was long shot but at that point, anything was better than nothing. “Any hints? A certain marking to look for? Something like this.” The photographer pointed toward a knot in the wood that looked almost framed by work around it.

 

Was there? A sigh passed Taekwoon’s lips as he hung his head. If there was some indication he either wasn’t told or couldn’t remember. Maybe this was an impossible task. A dark mood descended around him. It was foolish to think they were going to be able to find what the police hadn’t. As foolish as it was to keep dragging Hongbin and Wonsik into this mess, foolish and selfish. And while he’d never admit to calling himself foolish, he was fully aware of and okay with just how selfish he could be.

 

So, why did he suddenly feel like he needed to tell Hongbin to go home, to give up? To call Wonsik and ask him not to try anymore? Was it defeat?

 

“It doesn’t matter.” The gentle glide of fingers down his arm brought him out of his own thoughts. “We’re here right?” Hongbin’s smile was soft, the worry wasn’t gone from his eyes but crowded with it was an affection that still caught Taekwoon off guard. “Let’s look. Maybe I’ll get lucky, you know?” The words ‘don’t bother’ were on the tip of his tongue but they wouldn’t fall. Everyone was doing so much for him, and maybe they’d come so far that they couldn’t turn back. “You want to start on different floors or just take different sides of the building?”

 

They’d decided to split the building since the first floor covered a much larger area than the second. The first few secret hideaways he’d opened had brought a rush of adrenaline with every one, his body would brace for finding the prop but each one had been as empty as the first. His energy was starting to dwindle and soon he’d have to leave to meet up with Wonsik and the rest of the crew. Interviewing Yoona was going to be interesting to say the least, to be honest, he wasn’t sure how well it was going to go over. What authority did they have? But Hyuk had been sure that they’d be able to get something from it.

 

All things considered he’d made a decent enough check for the time he had. Most of the first floor taken care of except for the theatre proper and backstage. But there were a lot less hidden panels in the flat walls of the backstage, at least from the things they’d found previously. The second floor still needed a search but he was running out of time. Leaving it all to Hongbin had Taekwoon slumping his shoulders. No doubt the other man was having a lot slower time with his search.

 

“...did you know my son well?” Taekwoon paused in his tracks as voices filtered back to him from around a pillar. Carefully, he glanced around it to see who was there. It surprised him when it shouldn't’ have, Hongbin’s back was to him but he recognized the woman who was speaking. Woobin’s mother. What was she doing there?

 

“Ah, I met him a couple of times while working here.” Hongbin ducked his head once. “He was a fine man, always kind and generous.” Taekwoon felt a hard wave of awkward roll over him, somehow feeling like he shouldn’t be there but having no where else to go. Had Hongbin even hand one conversation with Woobin? He couldn’t remember. “And very dedicated.”

 

“This was what he really wanted to do.” A slight tremor ran through her voice as she glanced toward the stage. “Even though he tried to avoid it, I knew that he wanted to be on the live stage. The screen jobs just weren’t the same for him. Ah as a little boy he would get so into his school roles. A mother’s pride is in seeing her child smile, you know?

 

“I had twice the pride in him than anyone else. His father wasn’t in the picture, you see.” Taekwoon stepped back quietly, to press his back against the pillar, Hongbin only stood silent, listening. “That gutless coward was never around for my baby, but maybe he was better for it. Maybe it was twice the work to raise him, but you know, it was twice the pleasure seeing him grow into the strong young man he was. Maybe if his rotten father had been in the picture he wouldn’t have been the man he was  and that would have been the worst shame.” Her voice spiked before breaking on a sob.

 

“Ah, but listen to me. It’s in poor taste to speak ill of the dead, I should respect that more than anyone now. Woobinnie’s father passed away recently without ever meeting his precious son. He probably saw one of his movies and didn’t even know it was his child. Life’s funny like that sometimes.” Soft sniffling punctuated the silence. “I’m sorry, dear, you’re kind to listen to a poor woman like me.”

 

“It’s no trouble.” Hongbin’s voice sounded quiet, sad nearly. Perhaps he’d spent more time talking to Woobin than Taekwoon had guessed.

 

“You’re sweet. I’m glad my son had a friend like you.” One last sniff came before she sighed. “I wanted so badly to see him on this stage you know? But I couldn’t make it for opening night, work and I already had a trip planned for closing night to surprise him. Do the whole thing, bring a giant bouquet of flowers. Ah, I can imagine how red he’d get in the face, my sweet boy. But, it wasn’t to be. I, at least, wanted to see this theatre before I left though. He would always call me to tell me all about it.

 

“I promised the manager I’d stop by his office, but bless you for taking the time to talk with me. Many blessing upon you.” Taekwoon glanced around the edge of his pillar to see her patting Hongbin on the head before moving his way. Panicked slightly, he straightened up and tried to look casual as he strolled around the corner. He offered her a brief nod that was returned with a small bow.

 

“Taekwoon-ah,” Hongbin’s eyes looked downcast, a hollow sort of sadness filled up their depths. “That was Woobin-ssi’s mother. She…” Words failed him though and he just looked miserably at the floor. “We can’t give up, Taekwoon-ah.”

 

Silently, Taekwoon reached out and pulled Hongbin against him in a short but firm hug. The words weren’t there, but he agreed. “I searched the first floor on my side except for the stage and backstage and the second floor.” He wanted to stay longer, he wanted to make sure Hongbin was okay, he didn’t want to leave it all to him. “Have you been making it okay?”

 

“I’m getting used to it.” Hongbin pressed his cheek firmly against Taekwoon’s shoulder before pulling back. “I found a couple of them, but I hope I haven’t missed many. It’s getting easier to find at least. I might not finish the whole theatre today but I’ll talk to manager Hakyeon about coming back tomorrow.”

 

“I’m sorry to be leaving you like this.” Taekwoon wasn’t sure if he was apologizing just for that or for everything.

 

“Don’t worry about it. Ravi-yah’s gonna need your help. I’m sure you’ll be much better off with your interview then I’ll be here.” The smile he offered was small and soft but it eased the clamp around Taekwoon’s heart.

 

“Call me if you need help with anything.” He was going to be late. “Don’t work yourself to the bone. Like you said, there’s always tomorrow, so don’t stay late. And when you’re done, come back to my place, okay?”

 

“Got it.” Hongbin gave another smile, a little brighter. “But I promise you, I’ll just be here boring myself mindless while you guys have the fun, so don’t worry about me. Get lots of good evidence.” He laughed and it had Taekwoon nodding. “I’ll see you later. And Taekwoon-ah,” he paused and looked up to lock eyes with him. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

A/N: >_> soooooooo sorry about the long wait. Between work and then a crippling bout of writer's block and an unhealthy addiction to otome games it's been a while. I'm almost embarrssed to actually post this because it's been so long. I'm so sorry about making everyone wait. So now it is late and I'll just leave this here and scurry off to bed now. Sorry again!