Epilogue

The City is Mine

“How do I look?” Hongbin grinned from ear to ear, dimples on display, holding his arms out to his sides to show off the cut of his new suit. His arm span nearly took up the whole of available space in their apartment living room and he spun around slowly to give off the full effect.

 

“Handsome.” A pillow sailed through the air to fwoomp against Ravi’s face followed by the infectious giggle of his boyfriend. His cheeks pulled up in a matching grin and he walked over in his own brand new suit to place a soft kiss against Hongbin’s forehead. “The most handsome of handsome men.”

 

Hongbin’s lips pursed into a mock pout, “Can’t you ever think of another word for me? I’ve been ‘handsome’ since high school with you.” But he didn’t sound too upset by it. “Can’t I be ‘ravishing’ or ‘intoxicating’ or…” he couldn’t even finish saying it without cringing, fingers curling into his palm. “Nevermind, handsome is fine.”

 

“Wait,” a teasing smirk pulled at the corner of Ravi’s lip, “who said you weren’t intoxicating?” He slipped a hand around his waist and pulled him closer. “I think you’re perfectly intoxicating.” It was still thrilling to get to kiss him, the gentle glide of lips and the soft little gasp that he wasn’t sure which of them gave, so drawn up in the touch.

 

It was only the hand on his chest giving a gentle push that stopped him. “We’ll be late, and then I’ll get in trouble.” But Hongbin gently his lips before giving another grin. “Don’t forget to bring your overnight stuff.” Ravi was already way ahead of him though, hefting up the too bright backpack that clashed terribly with his charcoal grey suit. “Good.” Hongbin shouldered his own black duffle bag and slung his camera across his front. “Ready to go be the two most attractive men on the subway?”

 

“Hopefully it ends better than last time.” Ravi opened the door to their apartment, swiping the pad for the lights. For a moment the boy stood at the doorway, bathed in the lights from the hall while seeing the city through the far window. “You know, I think I’ll miss this place when we’re out of here.” A slightly misty smile curved his lips; there were so many good memories there, and some not so good ones. But it’d been… it’d been their place, and while they were certainly glad to be moving up. It was bittersweet in a way though, closing the page on a chapter in their lives and moving forward.

 

---

 

The re-opening night of “Once Forgotten, Twice Removed” at the Victory theatre was every bit as glitzy and glamorous as it had been the first time around. To Ravi, it felt a little too familiar when Hongbin gave his hand a brief squeeze, eeking out a dimple smile before leaving with his camera bag to take a few pictures for the theatre. He couldn’t help but feel like they were all tempting fate a little too much, but what could be done about it? Of course the theatre was going to re-open and the production continue.

 

Briefly he considered going backstage to visit Taekwoon but just as a general rule he’d decided that maybe that was tempting fate and he’d rather avoid that again. Besides, Taekwoon had already expressed his sentiments that he did indeed know how happy and proud of him Hongbin and Ravi were.

 

“Hyung!” At least that was new, Ravi turned to see a brightly smiling Hyuk waving him down, eating up the plush carpet between them with long strides. For a punk kid, he cleaned up pretty well, though the tux he wore was obviously rented it fit his tall frame. “This is something else, huh?” In one hand he held a glass of wine, in the other a theatre pamphlet, but his eyes were pure wonder. A bright and scrunchy smile never once left his face.

 

After the case had cleared up, and that had been a trial in and of itself, Hyuk had received official recognition from the Police Department praising his quick thinking and assistance in apprehending Himchan. Due to his call tip off they made it in time, and Ravi was never going to stop being thankful for that. Even the lead officer had sent him a personalized thank you letter, which had let the younger man strut around the cafe all day filled with importance.

 

More than anything though, it had validated Hyuk’s drive to become a detective and he’d eagerly asked the officer for tips on the civil service exam. Ravi hadn’t thought it possible but it had only served to increase Hyuk’s need to spend his free time studying and preparing, but as he did it with a smile he didn’t worry too much about it.

 

“Some case solved celebration party, right?” Ravi grinned. They’d decided that since they were all going to be attending the re-opening they’d get together afterward to share a drink. Hongbin hadn’t exactly been in a celebratory mood following his time on the roof that day, but had said he wanted to do this, for all of them. “You know this musical’s about a criminal, right? You’re not going to try and arrest anyone, are you? Especially not Ken-ah, yeah? He’s a crook in this too.” Ravi winked at his friend.

 

Hyuk merely offered up a bland stare before rolling his eyes. But it made Ravi think, since he’d said it. It was a show about a criminal, who did every terrible thing there was to protect the ones he loved. It had seemed romanticized before but after learning the truth behind the murder, it struck a more sombre chord. Himchan had gone over the line, no question, but how far would anyone go at the expense of a loved one. The thoughts it brought didn’t settle well with him.

 

“Come on, let’s go find our seats. Hongbinnie’s gonna be taking pictures right until the curtain so no use waiting for him.” Ravi put an arm around his friends shoulders and led him toward the grand doors to the auditorium and stage.

 

---

 

It was just like that night and also it wasn’t anything like that night in Hongbin’s mind. Suddenly it seemed like everyone knew who he was, whereas previously he’d just been that photographer. As he took the steps in the lobby up to the second floor he noted a few cast members wave at him, all smiles and already dressed for the performance. Snapping pictures of them was almost like taking candids of friends than his job; it was strange.

 

Leaning against the railing of the balcony, Ken spoke animatedly with Yoona, the two of them smiling for the people gathered close by, occasionally waving down to those below. It looked so effortless for Ken, as opposed to Taekwoon’s preferred method of a moment of quiet backstage to prepare. Hongbin had maybe thought to go back and join him, but then he’d just be an interruption to that precious solitude so he thought better of it.

 

Instead, he wandered closer to the two at the balcony edge, and reminded himself that he wasn’t in danger of falling over it. There was no need to be so nervous, but it wasn’t a fear he was sure he was going to get over any time soon. Pulling his viewfinder up, he centered the shot and snapped the lens just as Ken and Yoona were both starting to turn around from smiling at the people downstairs. A picture of genuine happiness and enthusiasm for their night.

 

He always thought that once he started making headway on his own pictorial he wouldn’t take as many of the ‘polaroid’ style jobs as he called them. The ones where you just try and take as many pictures of people as he could. But even though Manager Hakyeon had put him into contact with someone interested in his work, he could already see that he’d miss the vibrancy of life candids left.

 

“Binnie, you better be getting my good side.” Ken teasingly ran a hand down his cheek and grinned unabashedly. “Ah, Hakyeon-hyung has you working tonight too? He should be giving you a break because of…” but he cut off at the slight pleading look Hongbin sent him, “because you should have one. You’ve worked so hard already!”

 

“Not as hard as you’ll both be working tonight, I’m sure.” Hongbin bowed slightly. He really was looking forward to watching the musical in full. Until the incident last time he’d been completely wrapped up in the performance, he couldn’t wait to see it again. Though of course they’d had to replace some cast, he was still looking forward to it. And due to some shifts because of the date change, he’d been able to score a better seat than previously as well, sitting with Wonsik and Hyuk.

 

“Ah, true, true,” Ken sage nodded and framed his face with thumb and forefinger in a ‘v’. “We’re very hard working too. Very, very. We had so many extra rehearsals, but you know I think it was worth it. We’re going to give even more effort than before!” A huge grin split Hongbin’s face, Ken’s enthusiasm was so catching. He couldn’t believe how well Ken had handled the police investigation after the fact. It was a whole new side of him, professional and cool, answering all the questions posed to him. Later on he’d claimed it was his routine with interviewers but all Hongbin knew was that he’d been a stammering mess when he was interviewed.

 

“Oh Binnie,” the cute name had been what Ken called him almost exclusively after the incident. “Did you hear? I was cast in a movie adaptation of my very first starring role. They didn’t even approach other actors about it, just me!” It was exactly the ‘break’ Ken had been looking for, and Hongbin had learned that even with his boastful talking, Ken had poured his soul into the audition. With  talent like his, Hongbin would have been surprised if they could have even thought of giving it to someone else.

 

“That’s great!” Hongbin gave him a brief but tight hug. “Aw but the stage will miss you when you’re not there.”

 

“Who says I won’t be? You underestimate the power of Ken, my friend.” Maybe he was, as he’d learned, it was hard to predict just what Ken would do next. They shared a laugh, grinning and holding to the railing before Hongbin remembered that he was being paid to do more than chat.

 

“We’ll talk more about the mysterious powers of Ken at drinks later, okay?” It was a promise even as they parted ways.

 

---

 

The show was a sell out, if the hype for it before wasn’t enough, the murder had all but sent the show to immediate fame. Even with the tickets that had to be refunded the previous opening night, Manager Hakyeon had said they’d sold out in one day for the re-opening. Together, Hongbin, Ravi, and Hyuk sat in the floor section, Hongbin choosing to sit between them to, as he put it, ‘keep their whispers to a minimum’.

 

Everyone hushed down as Manager Hakyeon took to the stage in front of the red curtain, holding up his hands for silence. Nervously, Ravi and Hongbin glanced toward each other, flashbacks to the last announcement they’d heard on the stage dancing between them. After a few more moments, Hakyeon cleared his throat. “Welcome everyone to my humble theatre.” He bowed low, but the shining smile on his face never dimmed. “It’s been a long road to be here, but I am filled with happiness that I can finally share the love we’ve put into this production with all of you.

 

“We haven’t been without our trials, but I feel like that has only made us more dedicated to bringing our show to you. But not only is this a time of joy but also a time of remembrance.” Hakyeon bowed his head solemnly for a moment. “The theatre world lost two stars recently, and we will miss them. To which, I dedicate this performance to Kim Woobin. Even though he is no longer physically with us, his star still shines brightly in our hearts.”

 

A small round of applause started somewhere in the crowd before catching on, and Hakyeon waited, hands clasped as it ran its course. “I’m also pleased to inform you that the Victory theatre will be donating a portion of revenue from tonight’s show along with the rest of the run to the Study of Suwok’s Disease.” More applause, and Hongbin felt his lips tip up in a sad smile. It felt right. “Now please,” Hakyeon held up his hands again for quiet, “enjoy the show that we have poured our soul into bringing you.”

 

---

 

It felt so strange, even after the rehearsals, Taekwoon had grown use to the rhythm of working with Woobin and Himchan. Finishing the first act with Woobin’s replacement felt a little wrong, not that he’d ever go ahead and say it to them. But he was glad for the quiet of his dressing room during intermission. Everyone was already on pins and needles because of the ‘ghosts’ as some of them called it, but also flying on the adrenaline that performing brought with it.

 

Out of habit, he checked in all the little spaces of his dressing room. There was no reason anyone would plant something there again, but he only felt he could breathe easier after he’d gone through the routine. To be honest, Taekwoon wasn’t sure he’d ever break the habit. If it was all the same to the rest of the universe, he only wanted to go through being a prime suspect for murder once in his life.

 

Some might argue that it was because of the case that he’d become close with Hongbin and Ravi, but he rejected the idea outright. No one had needed to die. He’d been getting along fine with both of them before the premiere. No, as a rule, he found it to be extremely unnecessary, but it was behind him. He hoped.

 

Draining the bottle of water he’d grabbed, Taekwoon tugged at his tie, loosening it around his collar. It felt strange, they were only just going to be performing Act 2 for the first time… hopefully. He could all but feel his stress rising. Everything was going to be fine. Maybe in a few performances he would believe it.

 

Yet, at the sound of the door opening slowly he felt his adrenaline spike as he whipped around. “It’s okay.” Hongbin lifted his hands to show himself unarmed, beside him Wonsik stood with his bright backpack slung over his shoulder, eyebrows high on his forehead. “It’s just us.” A sweet smile cross Hongbin’s face and Taekwoon let himself sigh.

 

“I told you that you shouldn’t come back here during intermission.” It was decided that they’d be asking too much to try again, but he didn’t shoo them away. “I have to get ready.” Still, the two only came further into the room, Wonsik dumping his pack along with Hongbin’s duffle onto Taekwoon’s couch. A small smile curved Taekwoon’s lips as they just made themselves comfortable there with him. “I have to change.”

 

“Don’t mind us.” Wonsik smirked and settled down on the couch, legs crossed and eyes alight with mischief. “We’ll watch.”

 

“Ravi-yah!” Hongbin elbowed him in the side before rolling his eyes.

 

“Ouch, Hongbinnie hit me.” But Taekwoon could hardly make out his words over the laughter as the two dissolved into giggles. He did like his quiet, that was true, but he didn’t mind the noise of their laughter either. Somehow it brought him a peace he didn’t notice. “We’re moving in together, we should probably get used to dressing and undressing in front of each other.” The news was still shiny and new enough to bring a knee jerk grin. Taekwoon had always valued his solitude but he valued the love he had more.

 

“Yah, and you have to get used to waking earlier!” Hongbin nudged him again but grinned, “now that you’re going to work with Taekwoon-ah in his studio you’ll have to wake extra early!” It pleased Taekwoon to be able to hear the glee in Hongbin’s voice, it was possible he was more excited for Ravi’s collaboration with Taekwoon than either of them were.

 

It wasn’t strange after all, how familiar the chatter of his two boyfriends seemed to become a comfort to him. He let them rib each other as he changed for his second act starting costume. At the most he heard one or two ‘ohhhhh’s that he was pretty sure came from Wonsik, though at least one sounded deeper than the others. Cute. They were both so cute.

 

“Do you know?” Taekwoon started quietly, letting them quiet down before continuing. “I’ve felt like my life was on pause a lot. I met you both and I didn’t know that I was going to love you both.” Taekwoon leaned up against his make up counter to face them. “It scared me at first, but I liked it. I didn’t know I liked it, sometimes I wouldn’t see you just to see if it would go away, but then I hurt.”


Hongbin reached down to grip Wonsik’s hand, lacing fingers while they both looked at the man they loved with affection. “And then the case happened and I couldn’t hold onto anything. Everything just spun around madly, but you both were there.” He paused and moved to come kneel in front of them, head bowed, hand reaching out to clasp their joined ones. “Now, I feel like we can finally move on, and I’m glad you’re there with me.”


A/N: And so it ends.

I want to take a moment to talk. I honestly, truly, appreciate every single person who even glanced at this fic let alone read it in it's entirety (which is about 91,000 words by the way, if you read it all congratulate yourself for making it!). I started it on a lark and I honestly can't believe I've finished it. I've never finished a novel before in my life. And I'm a little shell shocked that I was able to. It's been a real rollercoaster for me, and I'm so grateful that so many of you were along for the ride. I hope that I gave you an entertaining story, I hope you enjoyed the characters and the mystery. I'm never going to forget all the warm and nice comments that people left. Or how my heart jumped in happiness when I got a new subscriber or upvote. They certainly weren't expected and I must thank you all, humbly, for making this something that would stick with me forever. I can't believe I get to mark this story 'complete'. I know it's not much for some people, but for me, this is a huge triumph.

Thank you all so much.

-dangerkittyn

PS. I'll definitely be writing more wontaekbin some time in the future.