The Accidents That Led Up To

How to Love

The next week, Zitao goes back to the Kappa Gamma House.

The girls are waiting and as soon as she steps into the house, they all chorus, “Welcome, Huang Zitao!”

Zitao looks around. “Am I the only one coming today?” she asks hesitantly.

“Yes.” A small girl with light brown hair and pretty skin steps forward and extends her hand. “Kim Junmyeon, Kappa Gamma Chapter President.”

Zitao shakes her hand and feels self-conscious, towering over the sorority’s leader. In fact, she towers over pretty much all of them. “I-I’m the only one accepted?”

Jummyeon smiles up at her. “Yes.”

“Oh,” Zitao squeaks, and is even more shocked when Junmyeon asks, “Would you like to see your room?”

“My room? I thought only third and fourth years live in the house.”

“Not in the biggest sorority on campus,” a girl with squishy-looking cheeks boasts.

“Second biggest,” the tall one next to her, wearing a ‘Pink Princess: KG’ shirt, corrects.

The previous rolls her eyes. “Whatever. Nobody likes the GGS anyways.”

“Except Sigma Upsilon Pi,” a voice chirps up.

“That’s because they’re all ing,” Kyungsoo says blatantly.

Junmyeon gasps and reaches up to try to cover Zitao’s ears. “Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo shrugs.

Zitao smiles (she thinks she'll really like it here) and says, "Yes, I'd like to see my room please."

Junmyeon beams up at her and she leads the way up the stairs, down a little hallway, into a room at the end. She opens the door and Zitao gasps. The walls are a sky blue and gold, there's a white desk and dresser and wardrobe, and a bed with a gold overhanging canopy and pink bed sheets. "It's so cute!" Zitao breathes. Junmyeon beams even more.

"I'm glad you like it. We'll help you move your stuff over later, if you'd like."

"Please." Zitao crushes Junmyeon into a hug and Baekhyun yells "Group hug!" And everyone joins.

 

-

 

The next day, Baekhyun and Yixing are driving over to help Zitao gather her things from her dorm to move into the sorority house, when the car in front of them stops suddenly and Baekhyun has to slam on the breaks.

Yixing gasps in shock and Baekhyun looks over worriedly. "Xingxing, are you okay?"

Yixing nods wordlessly and Baekhyun gets out of the car, slamming the door behind her.

She walks up to the car that stopped and knocks on the window. It's a handsome, childish face that answers her, a blinding wide  smile and elfish ears poking out under dyed gray hair. "Can I help you, Miss Byun?" Wow his voice is deep.

"Yes." Baekhyun sticks her nose up haughtily. "Why did you suddenly stop in the middle of the road, may I ask? And how do you know my name?"

The boy smirks. "I realized it was you behind me. Anyways I have a lecture to go to, so I'm off. Baekhyun, see you around." He winks and starts his car up and drives away.

Baekhyun looks after him in shock. And then she sees the Kappa Pi Beta sticker in his rear window. And freaks, because Kim Junmyeon has spies everywhere.

 

-

 

"Is this all you have, Zitao?" Baekhyun asks when they've packed Zitao's belongings in cardboard boxes.

Zitao nods, blond bun bouncing on her head and Yixing giggles.

"Thanks for helping me," Zitao says as they're carrying the boxes out, one at a time each. "I'm really glad- oof!" She's cut off when someone runs into her, knocking the box from her grip.

"Ah, sorry. I didn't mean to," a voice with a slight lisp speaks up. It belongs to a tall boy with dark brown hair and a blank face. He reaches to help Zitao up.

"I should wushu your for that," Zitao hisses in Chinese and Yixing laughs.

"Sorry." The boy raises a hand and runs off.

They gape after him and aren't shocked to hear a crash a few seconds later and another apology.


 

-

 

Jimin is just out of the shower when her phone rings. Wrapping her fluffy blue towel around herself, she walks over to her bed and picks up. “Hello?”

“Hey, Jiminnie,” a familiar voice half-yells. “It’s me!”

A smile splits on Jimin’s face. “Taehyunggie! It’s been a while!”

“It has,” the deep voice on the other end chuckles. “I wanted to ask if you were going to your school's’ football game tonight.”

“Ah, I am,” Jimin replies, glancing at her bedside clock. “Are you coming?”

“Yeah,” Taehyung says, and Jimin smiles even more. “There’s also someone I want you to meet.”

“Oh? Are you finally going to introduce me to your boyfriend?” she teases, and hears the confirmative grunt on the other end. “I’m really happy for you, Tae. I’m sure I’ll love him.”

“I hope so,” Taehyung laughs. “Anyways, I’ve got to go, but I’ll see you later tonight after the game or something. Is my sister going?”

"Yeah, of course; you know she loves these social events. It’s been awhile since you guys have seen each other too, huh?” Jimin remembers that Taehyung and his sister have been very close, especially since their parents died in a car crash years ago, but they don’t see each other often with Taehyung going to college cities away.

“It has been. But we text occasionally.”

Jimin smiles softly. “That’s good, Taehyunggie. I’m really glad to hear from you. Bye bye.”

“Bye, Jiminnie-pabo!”

"Yah, you brat-” It’s too late. Taehyung has hung up, but Jimin can hear him cackling from miles away.

 

-

 

Later that evening, all of Kappa Gamma is gathered in their stadium box (courtesy of Junmyeon's parents) and is watching their school's football team warm up.

Yixing is standing by the bar, nibbling on a chip when she gets a text. I can see you. Yixing smiles. It's from Kris. She looks up or the large opening facing the field but doesn't see his face.

I don't see you.

That's okay. You will later ;) he replies.

Sounds great :) Yixing texts back after making sure Junmyeon isn’t breathing down her neck, looking at her texts.

The starting whistle blows and Yixing grabs a Coke and a box of Skittles before going to sit down beside cheering Jimin and Jia-Li.


 

-

 

"Jimin! Baekhyun!" Both girls turn and see a boy with blond hair and a big smile running towards them, a taller boy trailing after him.

"Taehyunggie!" They cry and rush to embrace him.

"How are you?" He asks and kisses Baekhyun's cheek. "I miss both of you so much."

"We talked this afternoon," Jimin says and hits him lightly.

Taehyung laughs and turns to his sister. "Baekkie-noona, how are you?"

"Good, good." She has a huge smile on her pretty face as she ruffles her younger brother's hair. "I didn't know you were coming!"

"I wanted to surprise you," he says and drags the other boy forward. "I also want you to meet my boyfriend. This is Jung Hoseok."

Hoseok smiles at them both a little shyly. "Hello."

"Hi," Jimin chirps back and Baekhyun asks, "Tae, is this boy going to be my brother-in-law?" She giggles.

"Ah, Noona, don't be embarrassing." Taehyung covers his red face with his hands.

The other three laugh and Hoseok reaches to take Taehyung's hand in his.

"I'm Park Jimin," Jimin introduces herself. "Taehyunggie's best friend since we were five."

"And I'm Byun Baekhyun, Taehyunggie's sister." Baekhyun smiles up at Hoseok.

He bows to both of them. "Nice to meet you both."

"Would you like to come out with us later?" Jimin asks, looking around for Junmyeon and everyone else.

"Us?" Hoseok questions.

"Our sorority, Kappa Gamma," Baekhyun replies. "We're going out for drinks and snacks."

"Byun Baekhyun!" A familiar deep voice is calling her and she whirls around. It's Stop-In-The-Middle-Of-The-Road-Boy. He jogs up to them and Baekhyun realizes he's wearing a sweaty football uniform. "I was looking for you."

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow and feels hesitant to say anything. This guy is a Kappa Pi Beta boy after all, and in the Kappa Gamma House, talking to one of them is practically illegal.

Taehyung sees her hesitate and steps forward in front of his sister. "Who are you?"

The giant stops and looks at him. "Who're you?"

Baekhyun steps forward. "I know you're in Kappa Pi Beta. But who are you?"

"Park Chanyeol, at your service." He kneels on the ground, one arm extended forward like a prince.

"Ah, Noona, it looks like you have a suitor," Taehyung whispers in her ear. Baekhyun slaps him lightly.

“I hope you know that I’m Kappa Gamma,” is all Baekhyun says in return, before walking away.

“What was that all about?” Jimin accuses as they walk back to the stadium box. “A Kappa Pi Beta?”

“It was just an accident. Xing and I were going to pick up Taozi’s stuff when the guy suddenly stopped in front of me and told me he knew who I was and then drove away. So I was like, dude, what the , and then I saw the Kappa Pi Beta sticker on his rear window and I freaked and didn’t mention it to anyone. Yixing didn’t notice it so she didn’t ask.”

Jimin sighs. “Well, just make sure it doesn’t happen. I don’t want to have my on the Wanted List of Kim Junmyeon because you made a mistake.”

“I know,” Baekhyun retorts. “I’d rather not clean toilets for three months. But we’re practically already on it because of Yixing, so it doesn’t make much of a difference.”


 

-

 

Jia-Li inhales the delightful aroma of japchae and bulgogi when she steps through the restaurant's doors and her stomach rumbles.

“I’m so hungry!” Zitao whines in her ear, and she laughs.

“I know, me too!” But her smile gets brighter when she spots the prettiest boy she’s ever seen. He has tousled dark red hair and a cute canine smile.

She turns away to a babbling Zitao and lets her distract her from embarrassing herself.

“Come on, girls!” Junmyeon calls over the noise, and they’re led to a large table in a corner.

They pass by the table with the boy and Jia-Li feels herself blush as he laughs at someone one of his friends says. He turns to reach for the water pitcher on the table and makes eye contact with Jia-Li.

She squeaks and pushes Zitao along, face red.

She doesn't see him smirk at her actions.

"Everything smells so good!" Baekhyun moans, burying her face in a menu. "I'm going to order everything!"

Kyungsoo snorts at her best friend and takes a menu herself. "So, Junmyeon, when is our first attack going to be?" She asks.

Junmyeon sighs. "I don't know. We need a good start this year. Soohyun  always came up with the good ideas."

"You have me and Jia-Li!" Baekhyun speaks up, slinging an arm around said girl. "And Kyungsoo has a natural thirst for blood." Kyungsoo smacks her.

"Yeah," Jia-Li says. "Baek and I can be Soohyun's successors this year!" The two high-five each other. "Kappa Pi Beta, just you wait!"