Chp 2

Yoo

“Jungyeonnie Hyung!”

Nayeon heard the loud greet and looked at who was the one that shouted. Hyung? She found the nickname from Chaeyoung to Jungyeon was funny and cute, though she agree that Jungyeon more suitable to be called by ‘Hyung’ instead of ‘Unnie’.

She was sitting on the bench near the basketball court where her crush practiced lay-up shooting with her school basketball team. It has been her routine to watch the boyish girl trained, because she just loved to see a sweaty Jungyeon.

“Oh, hello Nayeon-Sunbae.” Chaeyoung bowed. “I didn’t see you here.” The girl smiled.

“Hi Chaeyoung. Off to practice with the team?”

“Ah no, I’m not that tall to be in the team.” Chaeyoung said while rubbing her nape in embarrassment. “I just want to give Jungyeon Hyung’s book back.” She explained.

“Oh… Bu—“ Nayeon stifled when she saw Jungyeon walked passed the team and to her direction.

The oldest’ words were stopped when Jungyeon greeted. “Yo Dongsaeng!” She then greeted the frozen girl. “Hello, Sunbaenim.” She bowed.

“Hyung, thanks for the book. You saved me!” Chaeyoung handed the said textbook to the owner. “Well, I gotta run or Dahyun would kill me. Have fun practicing!” The short girl waved at Jungyeon, bowed at Nayeon before running off to the school’s gate.

Nayeon thought Jungyeon would bid goodbye to her too and went back to the court, but she thought wrong. Her crush suddenly took a seat next to her. “You’ve never missed seeing us practicing. Is there someone you like in the team, Sunbaenim?”

Crap! She knows! Nayeon panicking. “N-no…” She denied. “I just… I just envied you guys to be able to do those cool moves.” She didn’t want to make an eye contact with Jungyeon, afraid that her heart would be burst the second she stared at those endearing brown orbs.

“The training is over, I can teach you a move or two, Sunbaenim.”

“What?!”

The next thing the brunette knew, her hand was held by her crush and she followed her to the court. Nayeon’s world stopped when she felt how soft yet so firm Jungyeon holding her wrist. How she only looked at the other girl’s hand and not caring about other things as long as Jungyeon held her like this. How she wished Jungyeon could hold her hand like this forever and not letting go.

“Okay.” Much to Nayeon disappointment, Jungyeon let go of her arm to fetch a ball. “I’ll teach you to do a simple shoot. Now watch me.”

Nayeon gulped at the sight of Jungyeon’s toned-sweat glistening-arm and firm grip of the ball. How I jealous to a ball… Sigh.

The tall athlete got on her position to shot the ball to the loop, aimed then released the ball. And being the perfect shooting guard she was, Jungyeon successfully threw the ball in and scored.

The older girl watched in awe when her crush effortlessly did the shoot.

“Do you want to try?” Jungyeon showed her little charming beam while giving the ball.

The brunette blinked several times to regain her consciousness from the blinding smile.

“—Sunbaenim?”

Nayeon was apparently on pause a little too long. “I-I don’t know how… You were too fast.” And too charming for that matter. She admitted.

Jungyeon walked to stand behind Nayeon. She then moved the older girl’s hand to hold the ball in the position of shooting. “Do you see the red square near the loop?” She pointed out.

The longhaired girl shuddered when she heard the gentle husky voice rang on her right ear. She searched for the said red square and nodded. She couldn’t make a sound, afraid that she would sounded weird because Yoo Jungyeon was standing there behind her so close she can smell the au natural Yoo Jungyeon’s scent.

“Okay. Aim to that red square.” The younger girl guided and helped Nayeon to hold the ball up. “Take a deep breath.” The older girl did as she told. “And shoot.” The shorthaired girl nudged the hand she was holding to encourage the other girl to let go of the ball with full force.

Nayeon gasped when she saw the ball went into the loop perfectly.

“Good job, Sunbaenim!” Jungyeon held out her hand for Nayeon to high-fived it.

Since the older girl was a tad bit too happy that she actually could shoot a ball, she bravely high-fived the handsome athlete while smiling in glee.

“Wow…” Jungyeon suddenly exclaimed, eyes were not leaving her face, staring deep. “You should smile like that more often, Sunbaenim. It’s pretty.”

Nayeon lowered her head, her cheeks, neck, and ears are reddened because of the compliment.

“Do you want to try again?” Jungyeon asked.

“Emm… Next time?” Eyes still glued at the court’s floor.

“Sure.” Jungyeon grinned. “I uhh…” She scratched her head when she saw Nayeon only stare at nothing but downward. “I have to store the ball and shower. Do you want to hang out after that?”

The older girl didn’t have a chance to answer when her loud best friend called out. “NAYEON UNNIE!” She suddenly remembered that she promised Jihyo to teach her Physics that afternoon.

Nayeon turned her head to Jihyo who was smirking before back to her crush. “I sort of promised Jihyo to tutor her. I’m sorry, J-J-Jungyeon-ah.”

“It’s okay, Sunbaenim. Well, I’ll see you around then.”

~~~

“My head hurts…” Jihyo said, slumping back against the chair.

Nayeon chuckled. “Okay. Let’s take a break.”

“Soooo…” Jihyo propped an arm and teasingly smirk at Nayeon. “I saw the basketball mini romance drama. Care to tell—“

“Nope.”

“Oh come on Unnie! It was your big break! Since I am one of the people who always listen to your blabber about her, I reserved a right to know about the progress.”

“Who said that?”

“I just did. Didn’t you hear it?”

Nayeon sighed. “But Mina is not right here, and she reserved a right to know about my progress too, don’t you think?”

“I can always gossip with her later on, Unnie.”

“That’s what I don’t want you to do. Exaggerating my story behind my back.” Nayeon poked Jihyo’s head. “Let’s finish this and hang out with her later on. I’ll spill every detail you guys wanted to know.”

“Assa! That’s more like it.”

~~~

Mina slurped the strawberry smoothies she ordered before eyeing the oldest. “So a little birdie told me that someone taught you how to do a basketball shoot move.”

“I texted her before.” Jihyo admitted. “I need to do it to lure her, Unnie. Or she’s just stare at Chaeyoung for the rest of the afternoon.”

“Now you should talk. Son Chaeyoung, really Minari?” Nayeon teased.

“What? She’s so cool, okay!” Mina defended. “And damn you Jihyo! I told you specifically not to tell her.”

“Sorry Minari.” Jihyo innocently grinned. “How did you two end up playing basketball, Unnie? And plus with a romantic scene… That was a juicy progress I must say. Nayeon Unnie went from zero to a main role of a cliché romance drama in a blink.”

Nayeon shyly smiled when she daydreamt of Jungyeon taking her to the court that day.

“Unnie! Stop daydreaming and start telling!” Jihyo whined when she saw her Unnie off to fly away with her own imagination.

“Okay okay…” Nayeon told the other two about her day cheerfully.

~~~

Nayeon frowned when she found out there would be no basketball team practice that day. She just got a perfect place to watch a sweaty Jungyeon did cool basketball moves. She decided to take out her notebooks and working on her homework since she had to wait for Jihyo finishing her detention.

Fifteen minutes later, the brunette got the shock of her life. Jungyeon suddenly took a seat beside her on the said perfect bench. “There’s no practice today, Sunbaenim. What are you doing here?” She joked referring to last week when she asked whether the older girl had laid her eyes on someone in her team, since she never missed a single practice.

“Ah I was… I’m working on my homework.”

“Here? Wouldn’t it be more comfortable if you do that at the library? I mean it’s quiet.”

“I uhh… I like the breeze in here. Besides, I need a change of air from the AC.”

Jungyeon nodded while resting her back against the bench’s backrest. The two fell into a comfortable silence.

“What are you doing here, J-Jungyeon-ah?”

“I just don’t want to go home early. Anyways, where’s your gang, Sunbaenim?”

“Gang…?”

“You always hang out with Mina and Jihyo so I presumed you formed a gang with them?”

“I—no…” Nayeon let out a little laugh. “I know Jihyo since childhood, she’s like a little sister to me while Mina looked a little lost the first time she got here, so I…” The older girl made a wrong move by making an eye contact with the younger girl, who was paying full of her attention towards herself. Nayeon gulped.

“…So you befriend her until now?” Jungyeon completed.

“Yeah that.”

“What a nice senior.” Jungyeon complimented.

“You shouldn’t really call me ‘Sunbaenim’, I’m not your senior.”

“But you’re older than me.” Jungyeon stated the fact. “Can I call you Nayeon Unnie then?”

“S-S-sure.”

“Nayeon Unnie~” Jungyeon tested.

The older girl was elated to hear the close greeting. “Y-Y-Yes Jungyeon-ah?” She shyly replied.

“Nothing.” Jungyeon grinned. “So where are those two, Unnie?”

“Mina is with her ballet club while Jihyo is in detention because she was blatantly cheating on a quiz.”

“That girl…” The younger girl shook her head and chuckled. “Do you want to go to the canteen to get some drinks? My treat. It beats sitting alone in here.”

“A-alright.”

“I’ll help you pack.” Jungyeon was already made the first move to gather Nayeon’s things and took the heavy books in her arms. The tall girl led the way to the cafeteria and even bought drink for the older girl.

Nayeon shyly took the ice tea from her crush. “How much should I pay you?”

“I told you it’s on me, Unnie. Do you like it or do you want something else?” The tall girl was ready to stand up to get other things for Nayeon.

“It’s enough. I like ice tea. Thank you.”

Jungyeon nodded and sat back down. “So uhh… I remembered you told me that you tutored Jihyo last week?”

“Yeah. She’s kind of weak when it comes to math and its friends.”

“Physics and Chems and…”

“Yeah, those subjects.”

“I’m kind of weak on those subjects too, can you tutor me too, Unnie?”

“What are you talking about?! You skipped a grade and ranked in the top ten highest achievers, I should be the one you tutored.”

“I’m not ranked in the top ten, Unnie.”

“No way, I checked the last time…” Nayeon suddenly stopped talking, realizing that she just uncovered her stalker mode.

The younger girl smirked. “You checked on me?” She nodded in confidence. “Now I know who was the one you’ve been checking out in the court.” She paused. “It’s me, right?” She teased, menacingly moving her face closer to the older girl before bursting her laughter.

“What?! NO!”

“I was kidding Unnie. I’m sorry.” The athlete tried to calm her cackles. “So, Jihyo… your student...?”

“I just felt that I need to be a good Unnie for her, taking a good care of her, you know that sort of things, force of habit.”

“Don’t you have your own sibling, Unnie?”

“I have… a younger sister.”

Jungyeon nodded. “Ah I see.”

“What about you?”

“Me?” The younger girl paused, not sure how to describe her family background. “I have an Unnie. But I’m not close.”

“Oh? Why?”

“Nothing. We’re just not close. My family is not the close kind.”

Nayeon decided not to pry further. “Do you live nearby, Jungyeon-ah?”

Jungyeon blinked for a second. “Yeah, why Unnie?”

“There’s a black pork barbecue restaurant near here. I’ll… I’ll treat you someday to repay this, how?”

“Are you asking me out?” The younger girl teased again.

“Wha…”

“I was just kidding, Unnie. But sure for the treat. Do you need my phone number in case the treat is coming true?”

“Y-Yeah…”

Jungyeon handed her unlocked phone to the older girl. “Save your number.”


hello from the other side!