9: The Odd Housesitters

Many Lifetimes in a Moment of Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Irene! Yeri! You guys are here! Thank you for coming at such short notice."

 

Irene and Yeri were interrupted from their conversation as they reached the floor Joy and Wendy lived on. Wendy ran over to the two and dangerously embraced them at the top of the stairs.

 

"It's no problem, Wendy." Irene gave a comforting smile, trying to calm an obviously nervous Wendy.

 

Over the phone, Wendy asked Irene and Yeri to watch over their house for the weekend as Joy's family had an emergency.

 

"You guys don't know how much this means to us." Wendy began leading the two to their apartment but suddenly stopped outside of it.

 

"So we just restocked our fridge, please feel free to use any of it. Also, we have our credit card already attached to our streaming accounts, so if you want to rent a movie, go ahead." Wendy began checking her bag nonsensically.

 

Irene and Yeri began to suspect something was up as they looked at each other. Wendy was generous, but giving free rein to a credit card was stupid, even to close friends.

 

"We just cleaned the house, so make yourself feel at home. We also changed the bedsheets, so if you get tired, feel free to sleep on any of the beds. We bought one of those fancy ones, it cradles you to sleep." Wendy resumed her frantic search through her purse.

 

The two oblivious victims… generous friends were really starting to worry. They believed the nervousness was because of the emergency with Joy's family, but now they wondered if Wendy was nervous for another reason. Certain details weren't lining up. Joy and Wendy only planned on leaving for two days, one night, was a house sitter needed? They were even asked to stay the night. Also, why were they talking outside instead of inside?

 

"Seulgi will be over later as well, she had another engagement. Oh! She has the extra key, right. Well, she will be here within the hour, but I should really get going."

 

Now Seulgi was helping as well?

 

"Wendy, what's going on?" The youngest, Yeri, finally found a word in through Wendy's rant.

 

"I'm so sorry this is how we are inviting you for the first time since the wedding. Joy and I have been wanting you guys over again, but… circumstances…"

 

"It's fine, go take care of Joy." Irene continued trying to comfort Wendy. Wendy was still the same nervous wreck about everything, she was glad she found Joy.

 

"Thank you guys so much again and I'm sorry about this." She hugged them both again. "Joy would say hello, but she was packing the car and I should be going." Wendy began walking past them. "Remember! Seulgi will be here soon and make yourselves at home! We will be back tomorrow night!" Wendy sent a flying kiss as she hurried downstairs.

 

Wendy entered the passenger seat as Joy had the car already running.

 

"They were going to meet them eventually, they are very responsible and reliable, they will get used to them."

 

Irene and Yeri saw their car leave on the main road from outside the apartment.

 

"What was Wendy so nervous about?" Irene looked at Yeri as she began to slowly open the door.

 

*Woof!*

 

Irene slammed the door shut.

 

"That …"

 

"The dog?"

"I probably should have guessed you two would still be out here."

 

Seulgi was walking over towards Yeri and Irene who were currently curled up against the couple's apartment door.

 

"Seulgi! You're here!" Irene got up and put her hands on Seulgi's shoulders. "Good, now we can go! Come Yeri!" With no hesitation, Yeri hopped up.

 

Yeri and Irene passed Seulgi on both sides. They were stopped by a sudden choking around their neck. Seulgi had grabbed their collars to prevent them from leaving. Yeri wondered if it was ironic they were choked by a collar as they tried to run away.

 

"You two are going anywhere. Didn't Wendy ask you two to house sit?"

 

Yeri and Irene were lined up next to each other, heads down like they were being punished.

 

"She didn't tell us they got dogs! I thought this apartment didn't allow pets!"

 

"They changed their policy." Seulgi simply shrugged.

 

"Anyways you are here now, you like dogs. Bye!" Yeri began following Irene's example, but once again stopped by a choking sensation.

 

"Stop that!"

 

"Stop running away. I can only stay until this evening. So they need you two for tonight and tomorrow."

 

"They know we are afraid of dogs."

 

"All animals…"

 

"Huh?"

 

"You are afraid of all animals."

 

"Whatever!"

 

"Look, Joy has been wanting dogs for a long time, so they ended getting two when their apartment changed their policy. The dogs are still getting used to their new home so they want someone around just in case."

 

"Don't they have other friends? Maybe a neighbor?"

 

"They also thought it'd be a good chance for you two to meet them. Li

Please log in to read the full chapter