4: Winning

Many Lifetimes in a Moment of Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Unnie! Where the hell are you?! Get your over here!"

 

Joy had just returned from an afternoon over at her friend's place, Yeri. She had left her home with just the clothes on her back but suddenly returned with an expensive gaming console and two controllers in hand.

 

Joy had spent the last six hours getting her beat in Street Fighter by Yeri. In the 100 matches they played, Joy did not win a single game. How was this accomplished? Yeri wasn't a pro player by any means, in fact, she had only played the game once before. What she had wasn't talent or practice, but strategy. Maybe the strategy was a singular move, the fireball, but Joy couldn't touch Yeri's character as long as Yeri didn't mess up.

 

Once Joy was satisfied a new player wouldn't beat the strateg… move. She asked Yeri to teach it to her. The first three hours were spent playing, but the last three were spent teaching Joy the way of the fireball. She knew exactly who to use this strategy on, Wendy, her girlfriend.

 

"Unnie! Hurry up! Where are you?" Joy began connecting the game console to their TV in the living room.

 

"What's the hurry? I was in the shower." Wendy walked out while drying her hair. Joy's brain froze for a second looking at her girlfriend with wet hair.

 

"Wow… I mean, Unnie, let's play a game. Yeri showed it to me, it's really fun."

 

Wendy looked at the kitchen. "I was going to cook dinner though."

 

"Eyy, dinner can wait! First to three wins."

 

That intrigued Wendy, Joy never delayed dinner… "Oh alright… what game?" Wendy took a seat right next to Joy, invading in any personal space.

 

"Street Fighter."

 

"Oh, that old game?"

 

"They've made new ones…"

 

"Right right."

 

The game started up and as the first player, Joy set up the game.

 

"Okay, select your character."

 

Wendy watched Joy select a character and already locked in. "Guile? That doesn't seem like a character you'd pick."

 

"Why not he is hand- some. Joy barely got that out.

 

"If you say so. I'll be Chun-Li."

 

"Why her?"

 

"She reminds me of you. Especially those thighs." Wendy wiggled her eyebrows as she grasped at Joy's thighs.

 

"Be serious!"

 

"Why? Is there some prize or something?"

 

"No, but… just be serious."

 

Wendy couldn't figure out why this competition was so important, but she wanted to be supportive.

 

Round 1

Fight!

 

As soon as the round started, Joy put her strategy into action and within the first two seconds, Wendy was being attacked by a stream of fireballs. Joy wanted to see the look on Wendy's face as she threw fireball after fireball flawlessly without messing up.

 

Surprisingly, Wendy's face showed no signs of frustration. Her character was throwing out kicks and punches like they would work against the fireballs, but that is not how the game works.

 

"Really Joy? Is this what you were doing with Yeri?"

 

"Sorry Unnie, it's an unstoppable strategy, you will not win against me today."

 

The round timer has dropped from 99 all the way down to 20. Joy had full health while Wendy was down to her last ten percent. Wendy had started jumping over fireballs and blocking them, but it was far too late. Joy got the first round by having more health after the round timer hit zero.

 

Joy once again looked at Wendy. Wendy was… leaning forward? Joy also recognized the focus in Wendy's eyes. "She couldn't possibly… no…" Joy thought to herself.

 

Round 2

Fight!

 

Joy enacted her plan again since she didn't plan anything else, but within three seconds, Wendy's character had cornered Joy's. Fireballs were not good against close opponents. Just as Joy threw another fireball, Wendy's character jumped over it, landed, and pulled off a combo attack that one would only see done by professional players.

 

"Wait! You've played Street Fighter before?!" Joy was flabbergasted.

 

"I've played a bit here and there."

 

It only took twenty seconds for Wendy to beat Joy in the second round. Joy couldn't even move after she got hit in the third round from shock and Wendy's character won in twelve seconds, taking the first match win two to one.

 

The next two games were not a pretty sight. Joy had since abandoned her strategy and resorted to doing random attacks hoping Wendy would mess up. Joy couldn't believe it. 

 

"Sorry Joy, I've played this game a decent amount. Fireball attacks have their own weaknesses."

 

"What about the first round when you were kicking and punching the fireballs!"

 

"I was trying to figure out the button layout. Now, let's go eat dinner."

 

"No! This isn't over yet! Have you played Call of Duty?"

 

"Umm, no? I don't really like those kinds of games."

 

"Okay, Street Fighter wasn't fair, you've played the game far more than I have."

 

"Weren't you trying to take advantage of your experience advantage?"

 

Joy had seemingly ignored Wendy's claims despite knowing it's true. Joy hadn't played much Call of Duty, but she had played games similar. A quick swap of disks and button presses through menus set up the game. First to ten kills wins.

 

"You ready?"

 

"I guess? What switches weapons?"

 

The start of the match once again went in Joy's favor netting the first five kills to Wendy's single kill. Sadly, the next five kills turned out to be hard for Joy to find. Meanwhile, Wendy found nine more kills relatively easy. Her growth in the game was quite remarkable. The game ended ten to eight in favor of Wendy."

 

"Wow, that was close! I can't believe that grenade hit you. What a lucky throw."

 

Joy simply gru

Please log in to read the full chapter