17: The Odd War

Many Lifetimes in a Moment of Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

"How long have you felt this way?"

 

"For a long time now."

 

"Can't you change your mind?"

 

"What about you? Why do I have to surrender here?"

 

"Because I'm obviously right."

 

"There is no right or wrong! Thousands of people agree with me as well!"

 

"That's ridiculous, you are all brainwashed, stuck in your ways!"

 

"Me!? Brainwashed?! Oh please, Mrs. "I do whatever the internet tells me to do!"

 

"This has nothing to do with how others feel! I've always gone by it!"

 

Joy slammed the table.

 

"Wait, wait, wait, how long have we been arguing?"

 

Joy looked at the clock. "Three hours."

 

"We were supposed to leave an hour ago! I don't like us fighting like this…" Wendy said in a soft tone.

 

"I don't either, but I strongly believe in my opinion on the matter. It's not something I can let go."

 

"I feel the same way…"

 

The two looked down at the floor in front of them. A silence fills the room.

 

"We can always settle it like we used to."

 

"No! That's too dangerous, someone always gets hurt…" Wendy pleaded.

 

"How do you propose we do it then? I don't want this longer tension around us any longer than it needs to be."

 

"You're right. If not today, then when right?"


 

The wind blows between them on this grassy field. The giant chest they brought standing between them. Joy kneels down to open it up and reveal its treasure. The lid is open and exposed to the sun for the first time in a while. The inside is a little wet and filled with plastic. Joy picks up one of the items and hands it to Wendy.

 

"Even in these dire times, you still give me my favorite. I love you my darling."

 

"But of course, this is war, but I am no monster."

 

Joy reached for her own choice.

 

"Joy? Is this filled with water?"

 

"It should be, but some probably leaked out."

 

"Should we go top off the guns once more before we start?"

 

A chest filled to the brim with water guns. A field filled with sparse trees. The sun bearing down its radiance. The battlefield of the 4th Water War was about to commence.

 

"So I've called the other three, the deal is whoever gets to them first gets them an ally."

 

"Right. Ten steps out and we start. Are you ready to admit you were wrong?"

 

"It's a shame it had to come to this. If only you saw the error of your ways."

 

"I wish you luck."

 

"And to you."

 

The two stand back to back next to the chest. Taking large paces, they count to ten together. Once they reached ten, they sprinted towards the trees north of them. With this being their 4th war, they were experienced, getting a quick shot, in the beginning, brought no benefit, positioning was key.

 

Joy's longer legs would have given her an advantage in speed, but Wendy was resilient. Joy reached the first tree first with Wendy still a few steps away from cover. Joy took her first shot, but Wendy knew. She rolled and used forward moment to reach cover.

 

"It's gonna take more than that!" Wendy yelled while pumping the gun for a stronger blast.

 

These two were true veterans in the art of water war. They used sounds of crunching leaves and gun pumps to strategize when movements should be made. They used their landscape knowledge to flank and push weaker covers. They even estimated each other's remaining ammo.

 

Fortunately for Wendy, she was on the side where their first potential ally enters the battlefield from. She took a risk to abandon her trenches position to escape towards Seulgi. Joy's aim was one of the legends and she didn't let Wendy get off without punishment. She got a few good shots, but by the time she realized why Wendy was risking her safety, Wendy reached Seulgi.

Please log in to read the full chapter