the brother he hated

Blue Skies

It was one of those days where children would do exceptionally well at school. One of those days where fatigue isn’t a problem as long as their parents can see them and shower them with compliments when they did their best. Donghae was no different than the other kids, in fact he was the best of them all. However, even though he has received so many praises he was still disappointed. His parents did come and praised him affectionately but they came very late. Donghae would know, he was scanning the entire gym the whole time while he was doing his part of the program.

 

“Did you really see me on stage?” Donghae asked dubiously at his mother.  His mother would’ve made a white lie but when she saw the look on Donghae’s face, she sighed deeply and hugged Donghae, a very familiar apologetic hug for Donghae.

“I’m sorry we didn’t make it on time, honey. But we’ve seen you practice a lot of times and we know how amazingly talented you are. Next time, we’ll be there.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” But Donghae knew they’ll disappoint him again. At a very young age, he learned that promises shouldn’t be taken seriously.

His mother felt relieved that her eldest son was being considerate and hugged Donghae tighter. She didn’t see Donghae scowling at his younger brother, blaming him in his head as he always does.

 

*~*~*~*~*

“Hyung~” Ryeowook called out to him.

“What?!” Donghae asked, turning swiftly to look at his younger brother. Ryeowook cringed slightly.

“Can I come and play with you?”

“No. you’ll just be in the way.” Donghae curtly said and shrugged Ryeowook’s hand off his arm.

Aish! How can I even take a retard brother out? That’s just too embarrassing, Donghae thought.

“Hae, why don’t you take your brother? He won’t be troublesome, right Wookie?” their mother said, Ryeowook was beside her, nodding in agreement. The sight of it further irritated Donghae.

“No way! Why don’t you or some auntie play with him like you always do?”

“Donghae?!” snapped their mother.

But Donghae was almost at his limit; all that resentment bottled up all those years have to come out one day.  “Aren’t you afraid that the next time you make him tag along with me, he’d get more than M.R.?”

Donghae got himself slapped in the face. Ryeowook just stood there frozen. Their mother, realizing what she’s done reached out to her older son’s face but Donghae backed away.

 

This is enough. I’ve had enough. Donghae smiled coolly. “But who am I kidding, even before that incident happened, even if that didn’t happen Ryeowook will always come first.” And Donghae slammed the door behind him, swearing to himself that he’ll leave that house the day he graduated high school.

 

*~*~*~*~*

For the past ten years, Donghae had worked himself day in and day out until he came to where he was – a multi-billionaire tycoon. Living his life leisurely, and dominating his workers with strict discipline. He has Prince Charming good looks but his attitude needs some adjustment, however, even if his envious board members want to oust him of his position, they couldn’t find or be someone better than he was.

 

“Donghae, this is your uncle.” The man on the other end of the phone said. Donghae was in a meeting, he would’ve nonchalantly hung up if the meeting didn’t bore him. After a moment, he finalized and ended the meeting smoothly.

 

“The documents, plans, everything I need to sign for this week give it to me now.” He ordered his assistant as he prepares to leave. “Whatever business meetings I have for this week cancel them, unless negotiations can be handled via phone. I’ll be going back to the province.”

“P-province, sir?” his assistant asked, surprised.

“Yeah, don’t you go back to your home once in a while?” Donghae asked sarcastically.

“Y-yes, sir. B-but you don’t.”

“If you value your high-paying job, please do as I say, Assistant Park.”

 

Donghae, this is your uncle. There’s no other way to put this, your parents and Ryeowook were in a car accident. Your parents died on the spot, Ryeowook’s currently in the hospital. You have to come back home.

 

His uncle’s words were playing in his head automatically as he cruised through the hi-way. It has been ten years since he last came to his hometown. He always make an excuse whenever it’s the holidays, he was actually getting himself busy making something out of him as fast as he could, studying and working at the same time. And when he can already afford it, he’d compensate the quality time lost with expensive gifts.

 

*~*~*~*~*

“What?!” Donghae uttered, the expression on his face changed for the first time. “Why do I have to take that kid in my house?” he was getting annoyed, he could feel the blood in his body boiling.

That kid is your brother, your only living family. Treat him one.” Talked back his cousin, Seohyun, who adored Ryeowook and felt it unfair to put him in his cold-blooded older brother custody.

“You’re also his family, not directly but still a family.” Chided Donghae

“Dad, he isn’t trustworthy! If I know, the minute he takes Ryeowook, he’ll leave Wookie on the hi-way or somewhere.” Argued Seohyun.

“Oh, not a bad idea.”

His uncle, the eldest of his father’s family, slammed a hand on the table and looked at both his daughter and Donghae sternly.

“I know how much you care for Ryeowook, Seohyun but their parents’ will clearly state that Ryeowook will be in Donghae’s care. Seeing as how our Donghae have made a successful man out of himself, Ryeowook will be well taken care of.”

“Taken care of by what money can buy?!” Seohyun voiced out. “He needed more than that.”

“Yeah, he needs to grow up.”

Donghae got a slap on the face for his cruel statement.

 

Donghae did not make one single conversation with his brother during the trip, when they arrived at his house he walked five steps before Ryeowook. He coldly nodded every time Ryeowook said something.

“Wow! You’re house is like a mansion! Like those houses in fairy tales! If only mama and papa could see this.” Exclaimed Ryeowook as he walked behind his brother, admiring the scenery outside.

Donghae instructed the servants, ignored Ryeowook and went to his study room.

“Hyung, let’s go out and play, the lawn is soooo big! I wanna play!” Ryeowook said as he skipped inside Donghae’s study. He was beaming widely at Donghae, he still had his head bandaged from the accident. But Donghae ignored him, so Ryeowook asked again and again and again until Donghae snapped.

 

“WON’T YOU SHUT THE HELL UP?!” he yelled as he slammed the files on his desk. Ryeowook flinched from fear, tears were welling up from behind his eyes. “Can’t you see I’m working?!”

“I’m sorry.” Ryeowook meekly said, trying to hold back the tears.

Donghae stood up and raked his fingers through his hair furiously. “Mentally retarded, intellectually challenged or not you surely can understand simple instructions right?”

Ryeowook nodded, without meeting Donghae’s eyes.

“Then, stop hovering around me. Other than meals, don’t talk to me, just stay out of my way, understand?!”

Ryeowook nodded.

“And stop crying, you’re a man for Pete’s sake! I won’t pity you. I’m not mom or dad.”

Ryeowook nodded, sniffling and wiping away his tears as he walked out of the study.

 

Donghae fell back to his chair, frustrated. “Why couldn’t you just take him with you? Always, always, Ryeowook comes first.” Donghae mutters to himself as a tear escaped from his eye, the first time since he heard his parents’ death. He didn’t cry at the funeral, he was too busy cursing them for leaving such an aggravating luggage called his brother. For ten years, he severed himself from his home and disrespected his parents just as to not see or even breathe the same air as his brother who has a mentality of a pre-school.

“I wouldn’t mind taking care of the both of you. I wouldn’t mind paying hospital bills just to keep both of you alive. I wouldn’t mind as long as you’re both alive. But why do you have to go first… I haven’t even asked for your forgiveness yet. !” Donghae slams a fist to his desk as he silently grieved.

 

How unjust, Donghae thought, even to the end… the legitimate child gets all the affection.