like straying an unwanted cat

Blue Skies

Donghae wakes up, startled by the sound of ceramics shattering somewhere inside the house. He had fallen asleep in his study while checking documents. It has already been a week since the day he took in his brother and he never thought the day would come that he’d actually fall asleep, exhausted in his study. And he never thought waking up would be even more tiring. He swore he’s having hypertension just by waking up to the sound of utter discourse inside his house.

 

“What’s wrong now?” he asked the housekeeper.

“Sir…” the housekeeper starts but there was no need for explanation. Ryeowook was playing with his cart again, those little vroom-vroom twist toys that he was inclined to buy, and broke countless plates and glasses.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” Ryeowook kept repeating the words as he trembled in fear.

Donghae ordered the housekeeper to get out of the kitchen then turned to glare at Ryeowook.

“Oh my friggin’ god! How dumb can you be?! I told you to play outside, even five year olds know that and you have the same mentality as them?!” Donghae pulled the toy away from Ryeowook and ordered it burned immediately.

 

“He hasn’t stopped crying sir. He won’t even eat.” Said one of the few housekeepers with a concerned expression. Donghae continued dressing up and headed outside.

“Then let him cry. That’s all he’s good at.”

“Sir?”

“What now?”

“Next week, the housekeepers gets a day off, we’d still continue with it?” Donghae nodded. “But what about your brother?”

“He’d live.” And Donghae brisk outside and drove his car.

 

*~*~*~*~*

He regretted ever continuing with the monthly leave for the housekeepers. Watching over Ryeowook while taking a poop, making sure he showers, taking care of his laundry, giving him food, cleaning up his mess, it was a miracle that he still arrives the office in style. Though he does the chores reluctantly and with constant nagging and reprimands it was his house he had no choice.

 

“What the heck is wrong now?!” he growled as he heard shattered glass when he came to check, his expression froze, he couldn’t hear Ryeowook’s mantra of ‘sorry’, it was like something snapped in him.

“Get your bag and put your clothes in it.” he ordered coolly.

“Why?” Ryeowook meekly replied.

“Just go do it?!” Ryeowook flinched and ran up the stairs.

Few minutes later Ryeowook came down with what Donghae told him to bring, then silently followed Donghae to the garage and inside the car. He was silent all throughout the ride, he wanted to ask where they were going but he was too afraid.

 

Two hours later, Donghae stopped the car and unlocked the door. He took Ryeowook out of his seat and dragged him out. “Stay here.” Donghae commanded. “I need to buy something. Don’t you dare leave this place, don’t talk to strangers, understand?” Ryeowook nodded. And Donghae got inside his car and started the ignition again and swerved off the curb leaving his brother at the steps of the rundown gazebo.

 

Donghae continued driving without looking back, he was too infuriated. He thought he could handle everything, but in actuality, he was almost at his limit and it just so happens Ryeowook pushed him further the cliff with breaking the one thing that he cherished all his life, the one thing that reminded him that he was once loved.  He heard the soft roars of the thunder at the backdrop he thought of his brother for a second but then his thoughts would shift back to the broken shattered glass case and the broken trophy. The trophy, although he has won countless awards growing up, was the only award his parents saw him win it and not lie that they’ve seen him.  The roaring grew louder and seconds later it started to drizzle. Donghae put up the top of his convertible instantly as he drove faster.

 

*~*~*~*~*

Ryeowook sits still, he actually wanted to move around but thinking about how mad Donghae looked earlier scared him and made him sit stiff as he silently wipes away the escaping tears. The initial sounds of thunder roaring and lightning flashes startled him and instantly, Ryeowook brought his knees closer to his chest. 

 

He saw a parent and her child passing by the area.

“Hello!” Ryeowook greeted warmly but the mother warned her child to ignore him, he could be a strange hobo and so Ryeowook was left alone again. The wind grew chilly and the sounds grew louder, he was afraid now, he actually wants to run and hide somewhere but Donghae told him to wait, he didn’t want his big brother to be angry at him any further. And though it was cold, he waited with the thought of his brother’s promise that he will come back.

 

*~*~*~*~*

Donghae stopped at a coffee shop; it was unexpectedly raining very hard, making the roads slippery and difficult to see. As he walks towards the rest room a child bump into him spilling some of her hot cocoa on his brand named sneakers. His face froze, he almost yelled at her if her older brother did not come and carried her immediately.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m terribly sorry.” He apologized as he bowed repeatedly while calming down his younger sister. “Shhh.. don’t cry, it was an accident. he said to his sister. But she continued to sob silently. “See the big brother isn’t mad at you. See.” And with a pleading look, Donghae gave in. As the child peeked a glance at him, he smiled awkwardly hoping it was a friendly smile not a do-you-know-how-much-these-shoes-cost-you-midget smile.

“I want to see mama. I want to go to mama and papa.” She balled out. He brother was half panicking.

“But Hyunah, you know papa is busy working, he has to work so he can buy you ma~ny toys. And if you follow mama… well, mama’s in heaven if you follow her papa and big brother Jo Kwon will be sad.”

He continuously consoles her as he apologized to Donghae. Donghae felt so awkward that he let the incident pass and even though it was still raining quite heavily, he went out and got in his car.

 

*~*~*~*~*

“Is he my brother?! Can I see?! Please! Please!”

“Okay, okay, but be careful.” And their mother carefully guides Donghae, gingerly placing his newborn brother in his arms. He smiled instantly, he felt like a big, reliable brother when he saw his baby brother’s face smiling up at him.

 

“Wookie! Wookie!” he called out to Ryeowook and Ryeowook crawled towards him.

When Ryeowook’s first word was actually ‘big brother’ (hyung) he felt very proud and deemed him a genius.

 

“Big brother don’t cry.” Ryeowook softly said after the accident. “See, I’m alright, my head just hurts that’s it.” Ryeowook smiled at him.

 

“It would’ve been better if you’d just hate me.” He mutters to the cold wind and heavy rain, his umbrella wasn’t even helping. “And why am I back here? I’m an idiot.”