Chapter 10

The Death Games

Chapter 10

"This green stuff is gonna smoke like crazy so as soon as you set fire on it, move on to the next location." I instruct Seohyun as she and I carries some leaves. When Seohyun told me about the Careers having all their supplies piled up, I knew that I had to find a way to distroy all their stuff.

We place our leaves on a bunch of sticks we collected. "We need a signal. Just in case one of us gets held up."

"Okay, like what?"

Seohyun glances at my Mockingjay pin. "Watch this." Seohyun whistles four notes loud enough for the Mockingjays to hear. The birds copy her whistle perfectly and spreads it to the other Mockingjays. "Back home, we use Mockingjays to signal the end of work time." Seohyun explains. "Now you try."

I whistle the same four notes as Seohyun. The Mockingjays copy it and spreads it to others.

"Alright, so if we hear that, it means we're okay." I can see the doubt in her eyes.

"We're going to be okay." I reassure Seohyun. But I'm not quite sure if we are going to be okay. I give her a comforting hug. "Hey, I'll see you for supper, okay?" I put on my friendliest smile.

Seohyun nods. "Okay."

With that, I walk away. My arrows on my back with bag and my bow in my hand. I'm ready.

I make my way to the Cornucopia, trying not to step on twigs. I spot a figure, crouched down behind a bush. It's definately a he. I wonder... "...Luhan?" I call softly.

The boy whom I thought was Luhan, whips his head around and I'm startled by his unfamiliar face. My insticts told me to defend myself so I raise my bow with an arrow stringed.

This boy has his knife ready in his hand. "Lower your weapon and I'll lower mine." He says. I know that he's not going to hurt me so I lower my bow and he lowers his knife. "Ah, the telekinises girl."

"It's Sooyoung."

"From District 6, I know. I'm Lay from 9. I assume you're here for the same reason I'm here."

"Well, what are you here for?"

"I'm trying to find a way to blow up their stuff."

"Why?"

"Mess with them. I'm a bored. So why are you trying to blow their stuff up?"

"They killed Sehun."

"Oh. The guy from 16?" I nod.

"So how're we going to blow up their supplies?"

"Come here." Lay pulls me by the arm to his bush. "You see those?" He points at the pyramid of supplies.

"The supplies? Yeah."

"No, I mean those small bombs. Just one touch and it'll blow everything up. So I'm trying to figure out how to get the Careers away from their supplies and to set the bombs off without getting hurt."

"I've got a solutions to all of them."

Lay stares at me, wide eyed. "You do?"

"Yeah. Seohyun is lighting big fires which will give out smoke. The Careers'll leave their supplies and go find out who's lighting them. Seohyun'll continue to light three other fires which should be enough time for us to blow up their stuff and get the heck outta here."

"That's a great idea! But how are we going to blow it up without getting hurt?" I'm not sure of that, myself. Both of us were thinking hard when something caught our eyes. "Hey, Sooyoung." Lay nudges me. I look slightly over the bush and saw a girl running towards the supplies without getting noticed by Onew and Jonghyun.

If I'm not wrong, she's from 15. "I think her name's Yoona." I whisper to Lay. We watch as Yoona swiftly jumps over the bombs on the ground and grabs a can of beans and disappears back into the woods.

"So... I see there's some sort of trap that we need to figure out..." Lay mumbles loud enough for me to hear. Right at that moment, Onew and Jonghyun spots the smoke coming from the other side of the woods. They grab their weapons and run to it, leaving their supplies behind.

"There's no time for figuring out." I spot a net full of apples. I raise my bow with an arrow already stringed. Hopefully, I can try to cut the net and the apples will fall, triggering the bombs. I aim my bow and arrow right at the apples and let go.

"Duck!" Lay holds me tightly and ducks as the apples fell and landed on the bombs. The goodies piled high were now burnt to crisps. "We should get out of here." He lets go and grabs my hand. "Come on!" 

When I sense that Lay and I have gone deep enough into the woods, I stop him. "Lay, wait. Hold on."

He stops. "What? What is it?" He lets go of my hand and I whistle that four note tune. The Mockingjay copies it and spreads it to the others. I start to panic a little when there's no response. Maybe it wasn't loud enough... I try again, whistling the four note tune. It's louder this time and I'm sure Seohyun can hear it. But why is there not response? I take Lay's hand this time and rush off to the second location that Seohyun's supposed to go to and light the leaves. I ignore Lay's "Sooyoung, can you please tell me what's going on?!" and focus on running.

When we got to the location, I notice that the leaves and the sticks haven't been light yet. "Oh no..."

"Sooyoung, what's going on?"

"Seohyun..."

"What?"

"Seohyun?!" I call loudly. "Seohyun?! Can you hear m-"

Lay covers my mouth and shushes me angrily. "Just because we're away from them, doesn't mean they can't hear us!" He hisses.

I don't care. I pry his hand away from my mouth and run straight, calling Seohyun's name.

"Sooyoung!" Someone calls but it's not Seohyun.

"Lay?"

"Come here, now!" I go over to where I heard Lay's voice. "Help me!" The boy is using his knife to cut the net Seohyun was caught in.

"Seohyun!"

"Sooyoung!"

"Sooyoung, help me cut this thing." I nod, taking my knife out and cutting the net, together with Lay. 

Seohyun gets out and I hug her, relieve flooding through me.

"Sooyoung, watch out!"

Lay pushes me while I'm still holding Seohyun. I land on the ground with a thud. I'm about to give Lay a piece of my mind when I notice Onew. My insticts are telling me that this is the time to avenge Sehun. And so I shoot an arrow straight through his heart, something Key would never know how to do if he was still alive. Onew falls to the ground with my arrow skewered though his heart.

I smile in victory as the cannon fires.

"S-S-Sooyoung..." I hear Seohyun stutter. I turn around and see Seohyun knelting beside Lay who's on the ground with a spear through his stomach.

"Oh, god... Lay!" I knelt beside him, holding his hand. "L-Lay, I know this seems bad, but you're going to be okay." I try to reassure him even though it was a lie. He knows it. Even Seohyun knows it.

"I...I'm glad I got to know you,...Sooyoung. Even...Even though it's only for a...for a while." I can feel tears pricking my eyes unlike Seohyun who already has tears falling down her cheeks. "You must...you must promise me one thing."

"Anything."

"Win this." Lay has tears falling from his eyes, too. He has saved me two times. He doesn't deserve this. He doesn't.

I nod. It's his first and last request. I must fufill it. Lay smiles at me before his hand drops from mine and he sheds his last tear. Seohyun's hand touches Lay's eyes and closes it. "There. He's sleeping." I smile. He could be. I ignore the firing of the cannon. I place a small, gentle kiss on his forehead. I don't want to wake him. Seohyun helps me up. I give one last look at Lay. His eyes are closed but his smile stays on his lips. I am determine to win, now more than ever. Seohyun and I walk away from Lay's body without looking back.

"Goodbye, Lay. I'll never forget you."


Hey, everyone. ^^ So that was Day 7 in the arena with 11 tributes dead and 21 alive.

Lay and Yoona are introduced in this chapter. But Lay also dies in this chapter. :(  Lay and his female partner has been killed. So District 9 won't have any victors. Same goes for Onew. His partner has been killed so District 1 won't have any victors. The remaining Careers are Jonghyun and Taemin. Yes, Taemin's still a Career because he's from District 4 but he's no longer teamed up with Jonghyun. So now, Jonghyun's on his own with Key and Onew dead and Taemin betraying him.

I'm sorry that Luhan has not been appearing in the chapters but that'll be fixed, trust me. I'm saving the best for last.

A big thanks to  NIGHTLOCKFML for subscribing and mentrachan for upvoting this story. :D

I hope you guys enjoyed and don't forget to check the next chapter out when it's been posted. :)