Chapter 12

The Death Games

Chapter 12

Even in her sleep, Seohyun is trembling. Despite telling her countless times that we're safe on the tree, she still shakes with much fear. I really don't blame her. The event that happened earlier today was unforgettable. I just don't understand why Luhan would suddenly turn on us. What could've caused him to change into a killing machine? Did he really mean it when he said that everything that happened in the Capitol was a joke? Not that I care but... I just want the real Xi Luhan back. I want my friend back. Not that mentally deranged killer.

Seohyun wakes up with a small scream in my arms as the Capitol anthem plays, flashing the fallen tributes on the night sky.

I shush her softly. "It's okay, it's okay. It's just that." I point to the sky.

"The fallen tributes... How many cannons did we hear today?"

"Three." The first tribute's face flashes on the sky. District ten's Baekhyun, District eleven's Chen and Distirct fourteen's Tao. I'm relieved that Kris's face wasn't on the sky. Where is he, anyway? Him and Jessica. I haven't seen them since day one.

"...Sooyoung?"

"Yeah?"

"What are we going to do now?"

"We'll figure somthing out."

"What?"

"Something. Go to sleep, Seohyun." Seohyun nods and snuggles into my arms. As she sleeps soundly in my arms, I think about how and why Luhan changed. My first guess is that he's being controlled by the Gamemakers. But the Gamemakers can't just simply press a button and Luhan is they're puppet. They must've placed something on Luhan to control him...but what? What could have they placed?

The only thing they could've placed is the tracking device. "Of course!" I exclaim to myself a little too loud, startling Seohyun. I smile apologetically at her. "Sorry."

"What happened?" Seohyun asks.

"I think I've figured out why Luhan was...different when we saw him." Seohyun nods slowly, signalling for me to continue. "You know how we all have tracking devices injected into our arms, right?"

"Oh, right!" Seohyun touches her arm. "I almost forgot about them."

I lean in to whisper to Seohyun, not wanting the Gamemakers to hear us. "I think they might be controlling Luhan through that."

Seohyun knows that we're not supposed to talk about that so she whispers as well. "A-Are you sure, Sooyoung? I mean we can't just go to Luhan and ask if he's being controlled by that tracking device."

"I know, we can't. We're going to have to remove it, somehow."

"At least we know what we're doing tomorrow."

"Yeah." I nod. "Go to sleep, Seohyun."

"You go to sleep." Seohyun pushes me lightly and playfully.

"No, you go to sleep." I push back, a smile forming on my lips. I feel like I'm with Sulli now, playfully fighting. Sulli... Oh, how I miss her. Mother and Minho, too. I wonder what they're doing now... Probably getting ready for bed at home. Our house may be filthy and worn down but it beats having to sleep on a tree. At least when I go to bed at District 6, I won't have to worry somebody murdering me in my sleep.

Seohyun slides deeper in the sleeping bag. I can feel her shivering. It's a cold night. "Goodnight, Sooyoung." She closes her eyes.

I pat her head. "Goodnight, Seohyun." As I am about to go to sleep, I spot a pair of eyes looking at me from a tree across the lake. I can't make out the face but I'd recognize those eyes anywhere. With a smile, I whisper, "Goodnight, Kris." before closing my eyes.

"Sooyoung. Sooyoung. Wake up." I feel someone shaking me. I open my eyes and Seohyun comes into view. I blink a few times before rubbing my eyes and sitting up.

"What is it?"

"We're out of water and I'm a little thirsty."

I point behind me. "There's a lake behind me, you know that."

Seohyun nods. "Yes, I know that."

I expect for Seohyun to get down the tree and go fill up her water bottle. But she stays put. I realize what she's trying to hint. "...And you want me to go get it." Seohyun smiles widely at me. I roll my eyes. "...Fine." She hands me her water bottle and I take it. "I don't see why you can't go get it yourself." I grumble before climbing down the tree.

It doesn't take me long to reach the lake since our tree is just a few feet away. Seohyun is being lazy. I roll up my tracksuit before carefully stepping on the stones on the lake to fill up her water bottle. "Hey." A voice startles me and I almost lose my balance on the rock. "Wow, careful." The person grabs me by the shoulders and steadies me.

"...Kris?"

He smirks. "Long time no see."

"So many questions..." I mumble. "But I think I'll start with, what are you doing here?"

"Well, it just so happens you've become our neighbour." Kris points at a tree behind him and I can see Jessica on it.

"Oh? Sleeping on the same tree with Jessica, huh?" I tease.

Kris huffs. "Oh, like you've never done that with telekinises dude."

My smile turns into a frown as he mentions Luhan. "No... Not if I want to get killed in my sleep."

"...What?" Kris gives me a confused look.

"Long story. And it's pretty complicated."

Kris takes a seat on the rock he's standing on. "I'm listening."

Is it a really good idea to tell him about Luhan? Well, I don't see what harm it can do. I take a seat on the rock next to him, dipping my legs in the water. "He tried to murder us yesterday."

"Well, I don't see how complicated that is. Except maybe for the fact that he's changed."

"That's the complicated part. We don't know if he's changed or..." I lean in close to Kris, knowing that the Gamemakers are watching us. "...Somebody's controlling him."

"Well, how would they control him?" Kris whispers. I touch the part of his arm which had the tracking device. "Wha- Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure."

"So what're you going to do?"

"I'm going to try to remove it."

"You really like him." Kris comments, smiling.

I can feel my cheeks burning. "What makes you say that?"

"You care about him so much that you're willing to break the rules of the games. There's also the fact that you choose to believe that he's being controlled rather than believing that he really changed."

"Luhan... Luhan isn't that sort of person..." I mumble loud enough for Kris to hear.

"...And how would you know? I know for a fact that the first time you've spoken to him was on the ride going to the Capitol and you've known him for quite a while."

It surprises me that Kris knows so much. But it surprises me even more that I actually think he's right. It's true that I've known Luhan for a few years, now and I didn't speak to him once until the games. So I've had a few moments with him in the Capitol and for all those moments, he comes off as kind and, well, someone who's impossible to hate. But does that really determine that he woouldn't change?

Kris puts his arm around my shoulder. "But what kind of friend would I be if I didn't help you."

I eyes widens in suprise and I turn to him with a smile. "You're going to help me?"

"That's what friends do, Sooyoung. They help each other. And what I said about Luhan was just my thinking. Don't let my thoughts get to you, okay?" 

"Thanks, Kris."

"No problem. So where do you think Luhan might be?"

"I don't know. Last we saw him was somewhere a little near the Cornucopia. But it's okay, Seohyun knows how to track people."

"So, like, how are you going to remove the tracking device? I mean, it's not like you can pull it out. And you have to do it without the you-know-whos finding out."

I know he's talking about the Gamemakers. He's right. It's not like I can pull it out. Even if I can, I'll just be caught by the Gamemakers and they'll do something bad to me.

"Maybe we can sedate him. I was thinking about using Tracker Jacker venom but that's a little overboard and it'll probably affect me if I go near a nest."

"Oh, if you want to sedate him, I have something that works." Kris pulles out something from his pocket. "It's some sort of drug that'll put him to sleep. It's completely harmless just that it'll make him want to sleep."

"Where did you get it?"

"My mentor sent it. It came in handy when Jessica insisted on staying up all night for a week. Just try to get this in him and then you can remove his tracking device." He hands it to me. "But of course, you gotta do it without getting noticed. And this." Kris takes out another thing from his pocket. "Put this on him after you've taken out his tracking device. Make sure to do it fast."

"Why?"

"This is another tracking device. I took it out of a dead tribute. You'll need to replace Luhan's tracking device with this so that the Gamemakers won't suspect a thing." Kris stands up. "I guess I'll leave you to it, then."

"Wait a minute, you're not coming?"

He smiles. "I'm not the one that cares about Luhan. I'll see you soon, Sooyoung." With that, he disappears from me fast enough before I can thank him again.

Friends, huh? I'm hoping not to make new ones. I don't want to go through that pain again. Hopefully Kris'll be the last friend I ever make in this damned arena.

I walk back to the tree Seohyun's on and climb it. "Seohyun?" I call while climbing up the tree.

"Got my water, Sooyoung?" Seohyun asks as I reach our branch.

"Yeah. And I got something else as well." I take out the sleeping drug.

"Ah... So that's why 5 wanted to see you."

I give her a curious stare. "How did you know?"

Seohyun smirks. "Why did you think I sent you to go get water? You didn't think I was lazy, did you?"

I laugh awkwardly. "Well..." Seohyun hits me lightly. "Hey, at least we know what to do now."

"Yup. Now, let's go track lover boy."


Hey, everyone! :)  So yes, the ninth day in the arena. But it hasn't end yet. So let's talk about Kris. You can see that he sorta fancies Sooyoung, right? But of course, he's just referring her as a friend. It's completely stupid for him to confess to her at this point of the games. For Sooyoung, she only thinks of Kris as her friend and nothing more. She doesn't want to make anymore friends because losing Sehun and Lay has left a big impact on her. So the next chapter, you probably guessed that Luhan's going to be in it.

I hope you've enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to check out the next one when it has been released.

A big thanks to zPixieAngelz for subscribing. ^^