Chapter 14

The Death Games

Chapter 14

"Sooyoung..." Someone calls. I ignore it and turn away. "Sooyoung... Wake up..."

I bury myself in my sleeping bag and groan. "Five more minutes, mommy..." I can hear the person chuckling and I can feel his or her fingers brushing against my face.

My eyes shoots open, afraid that Jonghyun has finally caught up. I whip my head around, expecting a knife to my neck. But all I see is a smiling Luhan. "Oh, Luhan... It's just you..." I sit up and stretch my arms. "You're up pretty early."

Luhan nods and points to my sleeping bag. "Did you notice the absence of a certain thirteen year old?"

"...What?" I think for a moment about what he said. And then it hit me. "Oh! Seohyun! Where is she?!" I look around the cave frantically.

Luhan places his hands my shoulders. "Relax, relax. Look over there." He points to the other side of the cave. I follow his finger with my eyes and I see Kris' sleeping bag with Kris in it. And Seohyun. "You don't wanna wake them up, do you?" Luhan smirks.

"How did she get out of this bag?" I mumble.

Luhan sighs. "I really don't hold anything against these two...but I gotta do it."

I look at him suspiciously. "Do what...?"

He smirks. "You'll see." Luhan goes to Kris' sleeping bag and startles them by doing a rooster call. "Had a good sleep?"

Kris glares at Luhan and throws his bag at him. "What was that for?!"

Luhan stiffles a laughter and points at Seohyun. The girl's eyes widens as she realizes where she's in and jumps out of Kris' sleeping bag. "I'm sorry, Kris! I swear, I didn't know!" Seohyun turns to me. "It was her fault! She almost squashed me in the middle of the night!"

I hold my hands up in surrender. "Wow, wow, wow! Don't drag me into this!"

"Kris and Seohyun sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Seohyun with a baby carriage!" Kris locks Luhan in what looks like a painful headlock.

"He's seventeen!" Seohyun protests.

"And she's thirteen!" Kris protests as well while tightening his grip on the giggling Luhan.

"And I'm sure you guys will be very happy together!"

"Xi Luhan, I hope you know that you're dangerously close to a slow and painful death." Kris glares at the boy. I can't help but laugh at the whole entire thing. Kris glares at me next. "What are you laughing about?!"

"Don't you know that the more you protest, the more he's going to think you're lying?"

Kris looks at the boy he has in a headlock. "She's right." Luhan nods.

"Shut up, you."

"So, what's the plan for today?" I ask as I hand a cooked squirrel to Luhan.

"What do you mean?" Seohyun asks.

"Well, obviously, Jonghyun's still out there and the other tributes, too."

"You really think Jonghyun would come? You can't underestimate him, Sooyoung. He's smart enough to know that if he comes here, it's going to be the four of us against him." says Kris. "I doubt the guy would ever come."

"Then what about the other tributes?"

"Look, everyone here, except the careers, doesn't want to kill anybody. All we want is to just get out of here alive. Back to our families."

"But... If we don't kill, we'll get killed. By the Capitol."

"That's the problem. Look at what the Capitol has done to us. They've changed us from these normal people into killing machines."

"I just wish there was a way where we can show the Capitol that they don't own us." Luhan says. "That we're not just pieces in their games."

"This thing has to be put an end to. They can't go on like this. Taking children from their families, forcing them to kill." Seohyun says.

"You guys are not thinking of a rebelletion, are you?" All six eyes turns to look at me.

"Why not? No one has done it before. We'll be the first to do it."

"You're making it sound like we'll be the ones winning. Four teenagers against the Capitol. It's like Jonghyun against the four of us. There's no chance."

We are interrupted by a twinkling sound and my guess is, Leetuek's calling. I turn around to find a parachute attached to a box. I open it and find loaves of bread in it. Strange... Why would Leetuek send bread? We have more than enough squirrels with us. I look for the note which might explain why he's sending bread. My eyes widens as that one word appears on the note.

'Run.'

"Sooyoung, would you please tell me why we're running?!" Kris asks as the four of us were running away from our cave like we're running for our lives which we are. 

"The note said to run."

Seohyun looks at me like I'm crazy. "So we're running just because the note says so?!"

"It's Leetuek. If he says to run then there must be something bad that's going to happen." Suddenly, we hear a scream and then a cannon. "Faster, faster!"

We pick up our pace and stop once we've reached a tree big enough for the four of us. Seohyun goes first followed by Kris, Luhan and then me. "What could've killed that girl?" Luhan asks.

"Anything. It could be Jonghyun." Seohyun says.

"No. If it was Jonghyun, Leetuek wouldn't go through the trouble of sending us that note. It must've been something really bad." My prediction is proven right when tigers crawl past our tree. But it didn't look like one of those normal tigers. "Muttations..." Those tigers are mutts like the Tracker Jackers and Mockingjays. They are genetically engineered by the capitol. These mutts are tiger mutts which are probably the things respoinsible for the scream of the girl.

When I feel that the tiger mutts are gone, I climb up to Kris' branch. "We're going to have to spend the night here."

"Of course. Unless you want to get eaten by one of them."

Night came pretty quickly. Only one tribute has fallen today. She was from District eleven and her name was Hyoyeon, I think. That's just one less tribute to face, to me. Seohyun choose to sleep in Kris' sleeping bag, for some reason. And Kris, allowed her for some unknown reason too. The two are sleeping at the branch above mine. Luhan is asleep, I believe, on the branch behind me.

"...Luhan?" I call softly, not wanting to wake the other two above me. "Are you asleep?" I didn't expect an answer.

"Nope."

"Are you cold?"

"A little."

"So am I."

"I have room in my sleeping bag..."

"Do you mind?"

"Of course not."

I climb out from my sleeping bag and climb over to the branch where Luhan is. He pats a spot next to him in his sleeping bag and I climb in, snuggling closely to him.

"Who do you think's going to win?" Luhan asks.

"...I really don't know. Jonghyun, I suppose?"

Luhan chuckles. "I think it's going to be you."

"Me?"

"Yeah. Kris and Seohyun think so, too."

"You know, if it wasn't for Kris, I'd probably be dead on the first day. When it started, I was frozen on the metal plate. If Kris hadn't come and save me, I wouldn't be here right now."

"I still think you're going to win."

"Yeah, right. I'm placing my bets on either Jonghyun or Taemin." Luhan laughs. "If I win, you're going to owe me a squirrel."

I can see Luhan's smile fading. "You really think the both of us are going to make it?"

I nod. "How else are you going to pay me my squirrel."

"If we make it, you're the one that's going to owe me a squirrel."

I punch Luhan on the shoulder. "Go to sleep, Luhan."

Luhan chuckles. "Alright. Goodnight, Sooyoung."

I lay my head on his shoulder. I really don't know if the both of us can make it. But I know that no matter what, I have to keep Luhan alive. For his family, Leetuek and myself.


Hellooooo, everybody! I am back from my vacation and I am ready to start updating! First off, I apologize that this chapter is a little boring. Alright, so that was Day 1o in the arena with 16 fallen tributes and 16 alive. Hyoyeon has fallen today. She's from District 11 which is Chen's district, too. He has fallen as well so there'll be no victors for 11. You can see a little bit of SeoKris in here and the childish side of Luhan when he was teasing the two. And also there's the SooHan bit at the last part. Taemin and Jonghyun has been gone for quite a while...have you guys noticed that? Yeah.

Happy Christmas eve, everybody! I hope you guys have enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to check out the next one when it has been posted.

A big thank you to pandora_panda, ShesJuzCraxi, BornConfused, HaeSun, mrmfgrmnw, rachellwy15 for subscribing and NoonMonkey for upvoting this story. ^^