Chapter 13

The Death Games

Chapter 13

"...Seohyun."

"Quiet."

"...Seohyun."

"Shut it."

"...But Seohyun."

"What?!"

I've spent enough days with Seohyun knowing that if I bothered her when she was concentrating, she'll bite my head off. But this time, it's for a good reason.

"The Cornucopia's that way." I point to the opposite side of where Seohyun is heading.

I can see embarrasement written all over the 13-year-old girl's face. "...Oh." She tries to be casual while she walks away from the wrong direction and takes the lead in the right one.

The both of us are out to track Luhan. We are going to track him and somehow get the sleeping drug into him and replace his tracking device. But to do that, we cannot be seen by the Gamemakers who are watching us right now, along with the Capitol and all the Districts. So to distract them from me, we had to beg Jessica to help us put on a show for them. We could've asked Kris but the people wouldn't buy it if Seohyun and Kris had a fight since, according to Seohyun, she has never talked to Kris back at the Capitol while she did had a few moments with Jessica.

"Alright, so let's go through the plan again." Seohyun begins quietly as she crouches low to avoid being seen. "You'll quietly disappear while me and Jessica are fighting. You'll find Luhan and try to get that sleeping drug into him. And then, when he's asleep, you'll quickly switch his tracking device. Got it?"

I roll my eyes at her. Sometimes this 13-year-old can get a little bossy. "Seohyun, I came up with that. Of course I got it." Actually, Kris came up with that but I put all the pieces together so I guess both of us came up with that.

"Oh, right."

"So, where's Jessica?"

Seohyun pauses, turning around. "Jessica?" Seohyun calls, softly.

"Right here!" Jessica pops out of nowhere, scaring the both of us. "Good lord, Jessica! Don't do that!" I hiss at her.

"Touchy." Jessica teases.

Seohyun signalls us desperately to stay low and not make a single sound. I hear twigs snapping and leaves rustling. Someone must be coming our way. I narrow my eyes as a figure comes into sight. Well, that was easy. I smirk as the boy that we're tracking for comes into view. I pay attention to his movements. He seems to be walking in a rather random way. Like he's drunk, which, of course, is impossible. So I'm assuming it has something to do with the tracking device. I move my attention to Seohyun and Jessica who are already behind him.

Come on, Luhan... Just a little closer...

"Gotcha!" I whisper-shout as I grab Luhan from the front and pull him down, covering his mouth. Jessica and Seohyun are beginning their 'fight' so I have to hurry. "Luhan, please forgive me for this." I whisper to the boy struggling in my grasp as I take out Kris' sleeping drug. I stuff the drug in his mouth and after a few seconds, he falls asleep in my arms. "Okay, this is going to hurt a little so bear with me." I whisper as though he can hear me. I take my knife and make a small cute on his arm. I wince as blood starts to drip down from the cut. I spot the tracking device sticking out and I pull it out. I'm so glad that he's asleep. His face shows no signs of pain at all. I replace the tracking device with the one Kris has...stolen, I think.

Seohyun and Jessica's 'heated argument' is still going on. I need to get Luhan somewhere out of here. Ah! The small cave down at the lake! I try carrying the sleeping Luhan on my back. No luck. He's heavier than I thought he'd be. What has this boy been eating? I try pulling him. No luck, either. I'd only end up scratching him.

"Looks like you need some help."

"Good lord!" I almost scream. I turn and glare at the person behind me. "You and Jessica have a lot more in common than you think, Kris."

Kris smiles. "Is that so? I must be spending too mcuh time with her." Kris hauls Luhan over his back like he's made out of feathers. "Where to?"

I don't think I want to find out how Kris reads my mind. "I'll lead the way."

"Wow. I didn't know there was a cave here." Kris stares at the place that we're in.

"I didn't know it, either. That is, until Seohyun told me."

Kris puts Luhan down. "I need to give that girl a lot more credit." We look over to Luhan who's groaning. "He's waking." Kris turns back to me. "If anything happens, just scream. I'll come right away."

He starts to leave but I stop him by grabbing his hand and turning him around. "Thank you, Kris. For coming to my rescue everytime I need help."

"That's what friends are for, Sooyoung." Luhan groans louder. "You'll probably want to be alone with him. I'll see you later."

With that, he disappears out the cave and I'm left alone with Luhan. Is that really why Kris helps me? Because we're friends? It seems a little bit more than that, to me.

"...S-Sooyoung?"

I turn around and see an awake Luhan. "Luhan, you're awake." I give my warmest smile to him.

Luhan tries sitting up but ends up groaning in pain. "My arm hurts like crazy." He clutches his arm in pain. 

"I'm sorry, that's my fault, actually." I go over to him and take out the ointment Leetuek sent me when I had that burn on my arm. I carefully place Luhan's arm on my lap and roll up his sleeve. I wince at the sight of the cut. I can't imagine how painful it is for Luhan. I dip my finger in the ointment and apply it gently to his cut. I see Luhan biting his lips as I'm applying. It must hurt so much for him. When I'm done, I roll down his sleeve to cover up the cut.

"Thanks, Soo."

"Don't mention it."

"Hey, Soo?"

"Yeah?"

"What did you mean when you said this was your fault?"

I give him a confused look. "You don't remember?"

Luhan gives me the same expression. "Remember what?"

"It's a long story." I sigh. "That aside, I'm just glad that you're here now, in your normal self."

"I'm not exactly sure what that means but, I'm glad you're here, too." Luhan places his hand on mine and gazes at me. I'm confused by his actions. Oh, right. I remember. Leetuek said that we should pretend to be in love. I lay my head on his shoulder. "I've missed you so much, Soo." His hand tightens on mine. "...I mean it."

I wonder... Did he really mean it? We sit in silence for a while. Wait a minute... Why is it quiet? What happened to Jessica and Seohyun's 'bickering'? I leave Luhan's embrace and poke my head out the cafe opening. My eyes widens as the scene comes into view. Luhan crawls over to where I am. "What's wrong?" He asks as he pokes his head out of the opening, too. And like me, he freezes, eyes wide.

The woods is burning, like the last time. I panic as I hear one cannon go off. No... Please, no... Don't let it be one of them...

My heart rate slows as Seohyun and Kris runs into the cave. Seohyun, unable to stop, lands on Luhan. Kris grabs all of us and pulls us away from the opening as something explodes outside.

When the burning ends, I examine Seohyun's arms, body and legs frantically, looking for scars or burns. "Seohyun, are you okay? Did you get burned or scars?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine, Sooyoung."

I turn to Kris. "You didn't get burned or any scars, right?" Kris shakes his head. I sigh in relieve. But I notice something wrong. "Seohyun... Where's Jessica?"

"Un...Unfortunately... She wasn't as lucky as us..." Seohyun says, rubbing Kris' back as tears springs to his eyes. "Jessica...She...She got hit with a fireball." As she says that, a tear rolls down Kris' cheek. Seohyun holds his hand, comforting him.

"I'm so sorry, Kris..." I say helplessly.

Kris wipes away the tears in his eyes roughly. "Don't be. What's done is done. You can't undo it." He stands up. "I'm going to collect some firewood."

Seohyun stands up as well. "I'll go with you."

"Alone." Kris snaps and walks out of the cave.

Seohyun stares after him. I can see that she's worried. "Give him time to organize his thoughts first, Seo." She nods and slides beside Luhan to do some catching up.

After a quiet dinner and the flashing of the fallen tributes, we turn in for the night. Well... At least Seohyun and Luhan have. Kris' sleeping bag is empty. I crawl out of my sleeping bag quietly and gently as to not wake the sleeping Seohyun sharing a sleeping bag with me.

I tip-toe quietly out of the cafe and spot a silhouette sitting on a log with his back faced to me. "Kris."

He whips his head around. "Oh. It's you."

I walk over to his log and take a sit. "I'm sorry to disappoint you."

"Wha- No, I didn't mean it like that. I-"

"I was only joking, Kris." He stays silent. "I'm not going to ask if you're okay because I know that you're not."

"She was my partner." The tears are visable in his eyes even at night. "If I could pick someone to win with in this thing, it would definately be her. We knew each other before the games. We were close. Quite close. And when her name was called out during the reaping in my district, I felt like the most unluckiest guy in the world." I lay my head on Kris's shoulder and I let him lay his on mine. "I could never imagine killing her even if she is cold and a little bratty. I never wanted her to get killed either. I promised her that I would never let anything happen to her." Kris chokes on his tears.

I shush him. "It's okay, Kris." I can feel his tears falling. "It's okay."


Hey everyone! :) So this is Day 9 in the arena with 15 tributes dead and 17 alive. There are quite a few moments in this chapter. There's SooHan, of course. Now, about the part where SooHan were cuddling, did Luhan mean it when he said he missed Sooyoung or did he just say that because Leetuek told them to act like they're in love? But if you noticed when Leetuek said that in Chapter 5, he also said 'If you guys aren't already in love'. Now, what does that mean? There's the small SeoKris. The two are not very close but they do get along. There's one part in this chapter where Seohyun worries about Kris even though, like I said, they're not close. There's also the small SeoHan. But it's not much. Just a part where they were catching up and stuff because, they're already sorta like friends back at the Capitol. There's KrisSica, too. Though they didn't have much moments, you can see that Kris cares deeply for Jessica. Like the part where he cried because she died. that rhymed xD And then there's SooKris. Now, I can say that Sooyoung still thinks Kris as a friend but for Kris... I don't know. You'll have to figure out with the upcoming chapters. But what's puzzling is that if he really does like Sooyoung in a romantic way, why did he said that if he could pick someone to win with, it would be Jessica? Hmm... Oh and have you noticed that Jonghyun and Taemin have disappeared? I'll just say that Jonghyun going to have some fun in the next few chapters.

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed and don't forget to check out the next chapter when it's been released. :D

A big thanks to fairysone0913 and ishybear for subscribing and sooyoungee for upvoting this story. ^^