Chapter 1: Hayi's Family

The Only Girl

“My family is rich … rich ... very rich … very rich with men!” With that simple statement, Lee Hayi’s autobiography started. Her heavy sigh overpowered the sound of the chalk’s interaction with the blackboard before her and the rest of students in her class. She looked up and searched for the teacher who went to the door to open it for a new student.

 

“Arasso everyone look here! Attention please! All eyes on me!” Their new teacher Minhyuk yelled as he tapped the table with a drumstick that he confiscated from one of the students in his class.

 

“Here goes Min-god again and his vain personality.” One of the male students scoffed. Minhyuk was popular with the female students not only for his looks but also his dancing skills. Being in an art school enabled him to gain popularity among his co-teachers around the neighborhood as well but all he did was ignore those who showed interest on him.

 

“I heard that! Anyways, we have a new student here. Be nice to him yeorubun, he goes by the name of Hi? Chai? Sky? Or whatever.” Minhyuk said to his students before he turned his gaze to the new student who approached him slowly in the platform. With his disheveled hair and ed uniform that exposed his undershirt, revealing his chocolate abs, the new student garnered squeals and endless screams from Hayi’s classmates.

 

“Yah! … yah! Yah! Yah!” Ah Yeon whispered as she kept on tugging Hayi’s arm. “Stop teleporting again! You always go to your dream world when you have the chance!” Ah Yeon added as she pulled one of Hayi’s pigtails forcing the other one to look in front with a scrunched face.

 

“What is it?” Hayi finally snapped and rolled her eyes on her best friend. She leaned forward but looked at the girl behind her instead and ignored the guy who was introducing himself. L rolled his eyes and looked at Hayi who was busy talking to Ah Yeon.

 

“Well my name is Kim Jongin, but you guys can call Kai. If you have anymore questions just ask me.” Kai just stated with his deep voice and looked at the direction of the commotion then back to his teacher with a bored expression.

 

“Time to pick your seat.” Minhyuk claimed and looked at Hayi’s direction as well. Hayi looked at the two guys who were looking at her with her poker face before looking out at the window. She felt awkward looking into Kai’s gaze, as she always did whenever she would meet a stranger.

 

“Sit beside her.” The smirking teacher told the new student and pointed to the vacant seat beside Hayi. It was the empty seat near the window. Hayi unconsciously banged the table with her arms in her dismay.

 

“But its P.O.’s chair!” L protested and the girls looked in his direction. Everyone became quiet as the staring competition between Kai and L started. “OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~~~~” was the sound that filled the room.

 

“P.O. is not coming back. He decided to train under a company so Kai can take his seat for now.” Minhyuk stated and looked at Hayi then at L as well.

 

“How can he leave without telling us?” L roared and glared at Kai who started to raise one of his eyebrows as well. Hayi just looked at L and sighed heavily again.

 

“Anyways, welcome to our class. My name is Hayi. I’m sorry for being like this on your first day.” Said Hayi after he approached Kai and bowed. She reached out her hand to him but he just walked passed her and went to the sit Minhyuk assigned him too. Hayi who got stunned by what happened just blinked and tilted her head with possessed a blank expression then went back to her seat. Everyone became oddly quiet and all their teacher could do was cough in the thick air above them.

 

“That was awkward, what a way to start a class. Wew~~ Anyways, I already wrote your task for this subject. I’ll come back after thirty minutes to check on you. Be sure to keep quiet and no fighting or else we’ll all be seeing each other on detention later.” Minhyuk threatened before he left the room.

 

L gazed in Kai’s direction with his fierce eyes. Hayi just dropped her head low and avoided Ah Yeon who kept on whispering about how handsome Kai looked. Kai on the other hand just plugged his earphones on and hugged the table before him then went to sleep.

 

The sun was already setting when Kai opened his eyes again. He looked around and saw no one in the room. His yawn filled the echoes of the room which was then followed by a sound of a low pitched squeal which he knew came from a girl. Behind him was Hayi who was already sitting on the floor with the broom in her hand.

 

“I’m sorry …” Kai whispered and immediately went to help Hayi. He stretched out his hand to her, extending his upper body with no difficulty and grabbed Hayi’s small hand which he cupped with his slightly calloused hands. The two of them looked at their hands then their eyes made its way to each other’s. Hayi’s cheeks immediately blushed brightly and hiccuped while Kai just blinked and tilted his head. He gently pulled Hayi up and smiled at her then bowed.

 

“Again, I’m sorry … for surprising you and my attitude earlier.” Kai said and bowed again at Hayi who just nodded silently. “ah. Eh. Well.. it’s nothing. I have to get going now.” Hayi retorted and ran off towards the direction of the door. “Wait!” Kai yelled but it was already too late.  “Ouch!” Hayi yelped and heard someone grunt in pain as he rubbed his forehead. She then notices that she was already on top of someone. “You’re really stupid!” L said and pushed Hayi off him.

               

Hayi rolled off on top of L and Kai helped her in standing up again. She bowed at Kai and chased L into the corridors, only to find him on their music room. She just sat beside him and patted his back. L just rested his head on her shoulder and just sighed till he felt comfortable enough to speak.

 

“I know you’re worried about Jihoon but let’s just wish him well.” Hayi said and gazed outside the window before them. L sighed heavily again and nodded but not inching away from his friend. “How will I stop worrying if you’re still too clumsy and stupid? Jihoon is now gone so no one will watch you when I’m gone.” L bickered like a worried father.

               

“Stop being so cranky! You’re like a woman on her menopausal stage!” Hayi retorted with her poker face and sighed before lightly tugging the ball of L’s hair she held from his head.

 

“Yah! Watch your language little girl?” L angrily claimed and removed his head from her shoulders then stared at her with his angry eyes.

 

“What I’m saying is that, everything will be okay! Arasso?” Hayi said while nodding then raised her hand for a hi-five but L pulled her for a hug instead. Hayi then blushed and began to hiccup again.

 

L smirked as he ruffled Hayi’s hair who just stiffened in her place as his eyes got fixed on the direction of the door. He held her close and tight, resting his chin on her shoulders as he continuously soothed her back.

 

“HHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII…!BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!” A big and jolly voice echoed throughout the hallways.

 

                “! He’s here. He always ruins the moment!” L mumbled and pouted slightly.

 

L released the blushing Hayi and smiled at her for the first time that day. “Your clingy brother is here. Let’s go.” L said and ruffled Hayi’s hair. He helped her stood up and they both saw Kai watching them.

 

“HAYI! My BABY!” The blonde guy said in his Kongrish accent as he pulled Hayi into a tight hug. Hayi’s eyes got fixed on the people who were watching them by the door. She could not see anyone else but Suho. She noticed how the collar of his uniform is slightly tinted with an orange juice or the imperfections of his neat hair. All she could see was him and she could not even dare to look away as her breath became heavier.

 

“Let her go! She might faint again.” Suho yelled from the back, it was his voice that snapped Hayi back to reality. He had Kai in his arm lock while the younger one looked away from L’s gaze.

 

“Looks like it will be full house today huh?” The person squeezing Hayi asked and released her.

 

“You’ll be killing me with your big hugs Chanyeol oppa!” Hayi squealed and pouted. Chanyeol just smiled at her, flashing his toothy grin then patted her head, saying “I just missed you so much.”

 

“I heard you met our Kai already. Be good to him neh? Leave this Myung-key (myungsoo+monkey) and just date him instead. He’s way better than your ex too. So I approve.” Chanyeol said with his arms crossed on his legs and nodded proudly. Hayi just sighed and shoved his brother away then walked towards the door.

 

“Suits you right!” L said and made a face then stuck out his tongue on Chanyeol. Suho just laughed while Kai kept his straight face then followed Hayi. L quickened his pace and matched Kai’s speed then they stood side by side. The two of them stopped walking and just glared at each other.

 

“Why are you following her? Are you a stalker?” Kai asked and raised a brow.

 

“Why are you following us? I’m her best friend. Get lost!” L yelled and glared.

 

“Yah! Stop fighting!” Suho squealed and laughed. Hayi just sighed and dropped her head to the side.

 

“They’ll get used to it. Don’t worry. Just think about it, J-umma will like this and there are more people to share the horror of his cooking.” Suho whispered and winked at Hayi making her heart skip a beat.

 

“I’m hungry! Let’s go home.” Chanyeol yelled and pulled his sister close as they walked behind L and Kai being separated by Suho to stop them from fighting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*AT CHANYEOL’s and HAYI’s HOME*

“I want nobody nobody but you~” Chanyeol and the others heard someone singing from the kitchen.

 

“If only we came home earlier then I could have cooked already. It’s all your fault!” Hayi screamed at the guys who were with her. She stared at them one by one then stormed up to her room to get changed.

 

“You’ll get used to it.” Chanyeol assured Kai and nodded. Kai just faintly smiled and nodded as well.

 

“Umma we’re home!” Suho said and pecked the cheek of the man who was cooking. All Kai could see a was a muscular man, wearing see through plastic pants and white tank top with his pink apron on. He eyeballs almost fell out from their sockets as he saw his hyung being affectionate to the cook.

 

“Where’s my baby girl?” the cook asked and they all smelled a burning scent coming out from the pan.

 

“She ran to her room again.” L retorted as he lazily pulled out a chair and sat on it with his chest facing the back rest of the chair.

 

“Yah! That’s not how you sit on a chair!” Chanyeol scolded L but L retorted, “I saw you sitting this way too the other day!”

 

“Chincha?” Chanyeol stammered but scoffed and said “Well you didn’t catch me today so boo-hoo. Sit properly or I’ll let you eat umma’s meal on your own.” Chanyeol threatened.

 

“Did you say something Yeoliee?” the cook asked and Chanyeol vigorously shook his head.

 

“Aniyyyyyyyyoooo umma.” Chanyeol retorted.

 

“Oh Appaji!” Hayi squealed out of nowhere as she came down from the stairs. The man just smiled at Hayi and removed his cap.

 

“Hayi-ssi!” Jinyoung screamed and ran towards Hayi then pulled her into a hug which was then followed by Hyun suk’s pat on her head.

 

“I killed the fire. Let’s eat!” L yelled while Suho started fixing the table for their dinner.