Chapter 2: Morning Ruckus

The Only Girl

“Seunghyun-ssi.. Saranghae~ Saranghaeyo Seunghyun-ah~” Tiffany would repeatedly loud enough for Myungsoo to hear as she caressed her son’s head and ruffling his hair on the process.

 

 

 

“Umma~ Aniyo. I’m Myungsoo not Seunghyun. Appa is Seunghyun, not me. Umma~ Do you love me?” Myungsoo cried as his response to his mother. He was hugging himself in fear as he cried out loud begging his mom to stop but it was as if he turned deaf. Tiffany looked at him with a blank expression. Her eyes were cloudy and the young kid who was supposed to be the best person who will be able to see and recognize emotions understood nothing. Myungsoo tried to peak at her mother but the person hugging him was a soul-less figure. It was not the person who cared for him all this time. He does not recognize his own mother. 

 

 

 

They were in the darkest corner of their run down house where Myungsoo sat on the floor hugging himself with his back rested on the wall. His drooped head was rested on his arms that hugged his shaking legs. He was sobbing quietly as his eyes that were covered by his disheveled and lengthy hair, slowly allowed his tears to fall down. Tiffany, his mother kneeled in front of him as she hugged him tight and soothed his hair while chanting her usual words “Seunghyun-ssi, saranghae~ Saranghaeyo Seunghyun-ah” ..  as if she was singing him a lullaby.

 

 

 

“A dream, just a dream L. It is just a dream.” L comforted himself after he immediately sat up on his bed and unconsciously found himself in a fetal position as he shook uncontrollably under his sheets. After hearing his grandson screaming, his grandmother immediately made her way on his bed room. She found Myungsoo shaking with a petrified expression written all over his face.

 

 

 

“It will be okay L-ssi. Hmmm? I’ll be here for you. Grand mother loves you. Arasso? Grandmother loves you” His grand mother whispered the last line to his ears repeatedly until he calmed down and stopped shaking. His grandmother did not stop until his tears stopped and the blankness of his eyes disappeared. His sanity returned and he hugged his grandmother while still having some goose bumps due to his nightmare.

 

 

 

“I’ll be going to school now grand mother. I love you too. I love you too.” L retorted to his grandmother and hugged her before heading to the bathroom and took a bath. He began to wash himself with cold water ignoring the shock that the first few drops of shower gave him. L scrubbed his body clean, he did not stop even if his body started to redden and be irritatingly painful. He started to scratch himself as well in the process as he tried to shake off everything his mind reminded him. He panted as he slowly fell down and went back to hugging himself again. Looking up into the ceiling, he wanted to drown himself and forget everything that he dreamed off that morning.

 

 

 

It is another school day again, Hayi sighed. After waking up an hour earlier than his brother Chanyeol and their parents Jin Young and Hyung Suk to cook for them and avoid stomach aches so early in the morning, she decided to plant the seeds of sun flower that L gave her. She always wanted to try planting flowers but her heavy hand traumatized her already. She killed plates to fishes and even hamsters. All she used her hands for are really drawing and doodling. It is her past time, she would sometimes take the entire class hour just to doodle away her thoughts and escape her real life. Outside, she went down to their garden and knelt down, starting to dig small holes for the seeds when suddenly his brother’s overwhelming deep voice called her out.

 

 

“HAYI-ssi!!!” Chanyeol claimed and looked all over around their house for his younger sibling. He saw her outside with a shovel and small pail in her hand. Quickly, he approached her and pulled her into a tight hug and sighed deeply.

 

 

“I told you to always stick close to me always right?” Chanyeol asked as he rubbed his cheeks on Hayi’s cheek, a gesture that always annoyed Hayi.

 

 

“You don’t even explain to me why!” Hayi retorted as she sighed. She knew that bickering with her brother is something she’s not good at. Ever since they were young, he would always stick to her, following her around almost like a stalker would, but not once has said a word as to how he would do it.

 

 

 

She once tried running away from him one day. She got so feed up of him always being around her. He was starting to scare away her playmates because of his height. The kids on their neighborhood loved to play a game they call “ring and run” where they will ring the door bell of a house then run away. With his height, Chanyeol would always get the kids busted and thus scolded. The kids started avoiding Hayi and bullying her for it so she ran away from Chanyeol.

 

“I hate you Chanyeol! Go away! I have no friends because of you and I’m sick of it.” The four year old Hayi screamed at her brother and ran off. A day of freedom she thought, she played with the other kids and even got her knee scratched, she went home that night all dirty and raggedy. The next day when she woke up, a chewed bubble gum was stuck on her hair and his. He cleaned her wound and wiped her body while she was asleep. Little did she know that her mischievous brother Chanyeol was watching her from a distance while she was playing with the other kids as he kept wondering as to what he could have done to make her say those painful words. He was envious of the attention that Hayi was giving them and that was the day he met Suho his best friend.

 

 


“You really wanna know why I’m protective of you?” Chanyeol asked coldly as he let go of Hayi and turned his back on her. The spirit of his voice despite its deepness vanished, it just sounded empty and shallow on Hayi’s ears.

 

 

 

As soon as he turned around, Hayi knew that something was wrong. It was like her brother and the person now before her is two different individual. Chanyeol’s bright personality conflicted with this one who looked at her with her cold eyes. His eyes was cloudy, Hayi could not even read it just like his empty expression. He rolled his eyes and smugly as he leaned his body forward with his face close to Hayi’s. His eyes were looking at the hole Hayi made before he connected it with her gaze. He swiftly tilted his head and whispered to Hayi.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“It’s because I love you baby.”

 

 

 

“What??” Hayi stammered and pushed Chanyeol away. Chanyeol fell on his and Hayi just froze in fear. It actually took her awhile that Chanyeol was already laughing at her expression.

 

 

“I wanted to tell you this but I’ll be going to an Arts college.” Chanyeol stated and ruffled his sister’s hair.
 

 

“WHATTTT?” Hayi could not believe what she heard and shook her head.  She knew that her brother was smart enough to go to a science college and even at their school he is currently a scholar. He is one of the brightest students of their class but he’s too lazy to even jot down notes. He just studied with Suho and stay over his place the night before an important exam, taking Hayi with him. Suho will be the teacher who will re-discuss the lessons they had at school. They will both cram at night but get the highest score the next day. People first thought that Chanyeol was cheating even to the point where the teacher had him took the test in alone in front of everyone. With that, he then proved to him that he really does study at his own pace.

 

 

 

“I made my decision and you can’t stop me.” Chanyeol said and stuck out his tongue at his younger sibling who just sighed and shrugged it off. 

 

 

 

“Annyeong~! Good morning earthlings~!!” Suho chimed from their gate. Hayi and Chanyeol both tilted their heads towards his direction.

 

 

 

“Open the gate and let him in.” Chanyeol said with a cold voice and nodded before poking the center of Hayi’s forehead. Hayi just winced and rubbed the area he poked as she opened their gates for her crush.

 

 

 

“Good morning princess~!” Suho stated and patted her head. Hayi like always would blush bright red and just nodded at him. With his brightest smile, Suho took out the red bean fish cake then lightly touched Hayi’s cheek with it. He tapped her shoulder and leaned in close to her ears.

 

 

 

“Your face is as bright as this fish’s fillings again. Aigoo kiyeopta~ just like your brother.” Suho whispered to his ear and grinned as he pulled Hayi inside their home.

 

 

 

 

JYP and YG both came down at their stares at the same time. JYP was yawning and stretching his arms out. YG immediately slapped JYP’s exposed tummy as he looked at Suho’s direction with his judging eyes. He always felt uneasy whenever Suho would be around his family or even just Chanyeol. Suho would just smile and shrug the awkward atmosphere as he tried to be one with their family.

 

 

 

“The table’s ready!” Chanyeol called out as he removed the pink frilly apron he was wearing and placed it on Hayi who took Suho’s plate from him. He approached his friend and gave his back a pat before he sat on his chair. Everyone has their own seat in the table. Even Suho has his own seat and as for L, Hayi would take out an extra seat for him.

 

 

 

“You’re here again! You’re rich right? Can’t you eat on your house? Does this place looks like an adoptive shelter to you?” YG asked Suho as he read a newspaper. JYP coughed and rolled the paper then used it to hit YG’s head.

 

 

 

“He meant what brings you here this morning Suho-ssi?” JYP asked in his aegyo voice and grinned for Suho happily while pouring YG coffee. YG “accidentally” tapped his hand causing JYP to pour hot coffee in Suho’s direction. Suho was able to dodge it causing creases on YG’s forehead to form.

 

Hayi just deeply sighed and continued eating her meal.