1

In The Dark

"Im Jinah."

The teacher waited for a response.

"..No Im Jinah?"

"She said she's coming in late because of a doctor's appointment." Jooyeon said, looking out of the window to see if she could find which room Uee was in.

The register went on then there was another pause.

"Oh Hye Rin."

"Council meeting." The entire class said.

The register went on again then another pause.

"Park Sooyoung."

"Tutoring." Said someone at the front of the room.

Just before the register was done, the door opened and a tall blonde girl walked in. Im Jinah.

"See me at the end, Jinah." Said the teacher.

Nana took her place next to Jooyeon. The teacher started talking.

"You okay?" Jooyeon asked.

"Yeah.." Nana mumbled, pulling out her phone.

"You're at the doctor's an awful lot Nana.." Jooyeon sighed.

"What can I say? I have a lot of problems." Nana said.

Nana lied a lot. She didn't like it but she had to. She'd never been to the doctor's apart from when she was a child and once recently to get some pills for her anemia. The truth was Nana had a busy nightlife. Nothing would surprise you about that though. Nana ran a nightclub. At first it wasn't hers but she took over when the owner was murdered. This wasn't just any nightclub though, drug dealers would gather to sell their goods, women sold their bodies there.. Basically, it wasn't a very nice place yet it was popular. Not many people knew that Nana was the owner, they just thought she was a local who would just sit and watch. It was Nana's responsibility to keep the police away and to keep the peace in the club. When people at school asked her what she did for a living she would tell them she worked in a store, it was the typical job for someone her age. Luckily, most people believed her, but not her tutor..

"I went to that store you said you worked at. You weren't there though." Lizzy said as she was getting her books out.

"I wasn't working last night." Nana said quietly.

"Why didn't you say so then? We could have studied together." Lizzy said.

Nana shook her head. "I didn't feel well last night."

The younger girl frowned. "You always say that. You should go to the doctor's."

"I go to the doctor's a lot in the mornings." Nana said. "Let's not talk about it anymore."

Today Nana would have another tutoring session with Lizzy. She didn't particularly like the sessions, mainly because the younger girl made her nervous when she asked about her life.

 

It was lunch. Nana was sat with her friends Jooyeon, Raina, Kahi, Kaeun and E-Young.

"Do you have another one-to-one with that dorky girl today Nana?" Kahi asked.

Nana nodded. "Yeah.. I don't feel like I'm learning anything though."

"You know what Nana? I've realised something. Whenever we pass the dork she always checks you out." Jooyeon said, grinning.

"..What do you mean?" Nana asked, puzzled.

"I thought you would have noticed. It's sooo obvious she's gay for you." Jooyeon said.

"Let's just not talk about it or you'll make me feel awkward." Nana mumbled.

"Lizzy isn't a dork." Raina said, frowning.

"She so is though." Jooyeon snorted.

"If I said you're a stalker then-"

"I'm so not a stalker!" Jooyeon yelled then she looked around the room quickly.

"Who are you looking for?" Kahi asked.

"..Nobody.." Jooyeon said quietly.

"Uee." Nana said. "Oh and look who just came in."

Jooyeon looked up instantly to see Uee and her friends enter the dining hall. She sighed contently and started daydreaming.

"Typical." Nana giggled.

"So.. Have you seen that depressed girl?" Kaeun asked.

"Who?" Kahi asked, suddenly looking concered. "I should go talk to her.."

Kaeun stood up and looked around. "The one in the corner on the left side.."

Kahi stood up and looked where Kaeun was gesturing. "Oh. Jung-Ah. She's not depressed. She's just quiet. She's nice but nobody talks to her, she prefers it that way."

"Jinah-ssi!" A voice from across the room called.

"Dork incoming." Jooyeon said.

It was Lizzy. "Jinah-ssi, can I have a word please?"

"Sure.." Nana got up and left the table.

"..She's gonna get for sure." Jooyeon said as Nana walked away.

Lizzy took Nana outside.

"My appa wants us to study at his house after school. He has a lot more resources than the school library." She said.

"I can't." Nana said. "I'm working tonight."

"Can't you ask for the night off?" Lizzy sighed.

"..I don't know. I'll make a few calls and see." Nana said.

"Oh.. Well tell me if you can come over." Lizzy said, then she left.

For the rest of lunch, Nana was making phone calls to bodyguards. In the end she hired a whole squad of them to look after things. Then she found Lizzy again and told her she could come over.

 

Just as school was finishing, Jooyeon grabbed Nana just as they were about to leave.

"Don't become a dork." She said, then she went to catch the bus.

Nana waited outside for a few minutes, then Lizzy came out.

"Annyeong Jinah. My appa should be here to pick us up in a few minutes." She said.

The two walked to the car park. Nana was silent.

"..Is something wrong?" Lizzy asked, absent mindedly holding onto the older girl's arm.

"No. I was just thinking about something." Nana said.

Lizzy's father arrived and whilst Lizzy was talking Nana was quiet.

They made it to Lizzy's house and the two girls went into the office.

"Are you sure you're okay Jinah?" Lizzy asked, looking worried. "Do you need some water?"

"I'm fine.." Nana mumbled, starting to feel dizzy.

Lizzy got out some books and started to explain something but Nana wasn't listening.

"Do you get any of that?" Lizzy asked at the end of her long explanation.

Nana stared at her then collapsed.

 

Nana's P.O.V

I woke up in a really bright room. At first I thought I was dead but then I felt something warm next to me. I looked down and saw Lizzy was curled up next to me with her head resting on my stomach.

"Uhh.." I poked her gently.

She opened her eyes and looked up at me. "I.. I c-can explain.."

"You don't have to." I mumbled. "I have to go."

"We need to study though. It's Saturday. You told me you don't work on Saturday. And I don't want you to collapse again on your own." She said.

I sighed. It was going to be a long day until I could escape her and get back to work.