Five

Our Love Stories

Haruki's POV

I wake up to the smell of delicious breakfast. And, well, my brother calling me.

"Haru! Haru! Wake up!" I hear him call me. Onii-chan is always the loudest person in the house.

I hug my giant stuffed dog and pull the blanket over my head.

"Onii-chan, it's Saturday. Let me sleep," I mumble.

"Yeah but Okaa-san made me wake up, so I'm gonna torture you too."

"But you're the oldest. You should wake up first."

"I did. So now wake up!" He pulls me out of bed, literally, and I just sit there on the wooden floor.

I sigh and he ruffles my morning hair.

"You look like a monster. Get up and get dress."

I stick my tongue out at him and he does the same thing back. Yup our brother-sister relationship is very awkward.

Onii-chan walks out and I stand up and go to the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror. Yikes! I do look like a monster.

I quickly brush my teeth and wash up. I walk back to my room and pick out my favorite shirt and shorts with black leggings.

I run to the kitchen and the delicious smell was luring me towards to burning food.

"Good morning, Haruki," my dad says.

"Good morning, Haru-chan," my mom also says.

"Good morning, Otou-san, Okaa-san," I say and sit down at the square table across from my brother, who's busy looking at ways to get girls to like him. I roll my eyes.

"Here you go," my mom says, handing me the breakfast. My mouth is already watering like crazy.

After finishing breakfast, I walk back into my room, wondering what I should do today. Usually every Saturday, Angie, Miu, and I would hang out with each other, and have sleepovers at night. But since I don't have a lot of friends yet, I can't really do much today. There is Kimmie but I don't know her phone number or where she lives.

I open my curtain and window and peek over to V's room to see if he's there. I can't see anybody so I'm guessing he's either still sleeping or went somewhere early. I look at my clock. It's barely 9:00 A.M.

"Were you looking for me?" a guy's voice calls out.

I turn around, in panic, and see V. He is still wearing his sleeping clothes.

"Uhh kinda," I say, walking toward the open window, "I thought you were still sleeping so I decided not to call you."

"I wasn't sleeping. Actually I was looking for you too. Hey, are you doing anything today?" he asks.

"No, not really, why?"

"Well I figured since you're new to Seoul, I should show you around some time. And today is Saturday, so would you mind going with me?"

I smile brightly. Wow, V is really really nice.

"Okay, sure. But first I have to ask my mom. She can be a bit overprotective sometimes."

I quickly run to the kitchen and ask my mother. She says "yes" immediately. Well, that was easy.

I grab my jacket and run down to meet V. He's already ready and begins leading the way.

Since it is Saturday and many people don't work today, the streets are full of people handing out flyers, walking their dogs, couples holding hands, children begging their parents to buy them candies, and people selling stuff on the sidewalk.

"Seoul is always a busy place. Just stay close to me or else you'll get lost," V reminds and I nod.

"So have you ever been in South Korea when you were still in Japan?" he continues.

"Yes I have, in the summer with my family. But we've never been in the cities before, just the countryside, since my dad's relatives live there."

"Well as you can tell, Seoul has many people and tourists."

"Like Tokyo in Japan."

"Right."

We pass by an old lady, around 50 years old, selling bracelets.

"Oh you two are such a lovely couple. Would you please buy these handmade couple bracelets?" she asks.

Both V and I look at each other in shock.

"Oh no we're not a couple," V denies, "come on Haru. Let's go."

I feel sorry for the lady and tell V to wait.

"Um, how much are for these bracelets?" I ask her.

"Only 5 won for a pair of couple bracelets."

"Can I just buy one?"

The lady laughs. "Oh no dear, they're couple bracelets, which are meant for two. Why don't you buy one for yourself and one for your boyfriend right over there? He seems to be a little shy."

I chuckle and pick up two bracelets, one is green and the other one is pink, that are clipped together.

"These are beautiful. Did you make them yourself?"

"Yes. The first ones I made were for my daughter and her fiance for their wedding present. But she never got the chance to wear it."

"May I ask what happened?"

"She died of cancer. Her fiance was heartbroken and so was I. She was my only daughter and without her, I feel very lonely. You look kinda like my beautiful daughter."

I can tell that she is speaking the truth about her daughter. I feel bad for her and decide to buy the green and pink ones and give her 10 won.

"Oh it's only 5 won dear," she says, surprised.

"Please keep it. It's alright." I smile at her warmly.

"Thank you so much. You are such a sweet girl."

I walk toward V, who is playing games on his phone.

"Done already?" he looks up and says.

"Here, wear this," I hand him the green bracelet and I can tell he is taken back.

"But these are couple bracelets."

"I know but let's just look at them as friendship bracelets. You're the first friend I made ever since I came to South Korea and would waste your Saturday just to show me around Seoul. Your kindess means a lot to me. So please have this."

V smiles and takes the green bracelet and puts it on. I put mine on and realize we look kinda like a couple, but no, these are friendship bracelets.

We continue walking when I notice something very strange.

"Is that Santa Claus?" I ask V, looking at a guy wearing a Santa suit. I'm pretty sure Christmas past long ago. But why is he still wearing that? And actually kids fall for that and run up to him saying, "Santa! Santa! I want a pony for Christmas!" "I want a race car!"

"Wow that is kinda weird," V says.

We walk toward "Santa".

"Ho! Ho! Ho! Hello there!" Mr. "Santa" says, cheerfully.

I bow and say, "Hello there Mr. Santa."

"Oh aren't you cute?" "Santa" says.

I blush with embarrassment.

"Hey Santa," V jumps in, "just a quick question, how come you're still wearing the suit? Christmas had past already."

"Haha, I was hoping you would notice that," Santa says, taking off his Santa head and reveals a young guy with brown, short hair. He smiles and I can see his dimple.

"My boss is making do crazy things these days. Yesterday, he made me dress as Peter Pan, and tights do not look good on me," he says, "I'm Woohyun. Nam Woohyun, 18 years old."

V and I bow again, to show our respect, since Woohyun is older than us.

"My name is Jung Haruki and this is my friend, Kim Taehyung," I introduce.

"Please call me V, sunbaenim," V says. Oh right, you're supposed to call people "sunbaenim" if they're older than you or in a certain business longer than you.

"Oh you can call me hyung and oppa," Woohyun says, "I know we just met but I already feel a great connection to you two." He smiles and I smile back.

"Santa! Santa!" a little boy calls out and pulls his mom towards Woohyun.

"Okay let's go Haru. We'll leave Santa to do his job," V says, as he gently pushes me.

Woohyun gives a little  wave and I wave back. Hopefully I'll see Woohyun again. :)