Chapter 4- The Race

60 Days With Mr. Haughty

Chapter 4

Did he just said that? Am I dreaming? Did I heard it right? Wait! Should I let him? Think Andie, think! This is Shane Wilhem trying to help you! Or is he?

Is Shane actually trying to help me? Like, really? No way! No! He hates me and he's my enemy. This is a trap! He would probably make me bald.

I faced him. "I'm fine. I can handle it"

"I'm not asking you Rams. I ordered you"

See? He's still the mean Shane. There is no way he is helping. I ignored him and turned my back. "Hey! Don't walk away from me like that!"

I smirked as I make a distance until I was totally out of his sight. That jerk is planning something craps on me again. I can smell it.

As I walk down the stairs, I just kept on thinking about Shane's offer of helping me. Is he really trying to help me out?

When I reached our floor, I proceeded to our classroom and see no one yet. Yeah, this makes sense. I'm so early, that's why.

I remembered the gum still stuck on my hair and started looking for scissors. I searched my bag and see nothing. Lifted my table-top and still, nothing. Yay life.

Seems like I'll be dealing with this gum for the whole day 'til I get home. I might not be that conscious about what I look like but I terribly hate having a bad hair! Not being girly but you know, I have always believed on what Lianne usually say, 'hair is the crown of beauty'.

Ok, now I just sounded like a grandma. This gum just totally pisses me off!

"Argghh!", I sat with frustration. I put my crossed arms on the table and rested my head on it.

"You ok?" someone asked out nowhere. I lifted my head and saw Hans.

"No..." I cried with my voice sounding like a depressed puppy without looking up straight to him and dropped my head back down my arms.

I heard footsteps getting near me. "C-can I help you? You sounded problematic"

I slowly lifted my head and saw Hans closer beside my desk. Maybe he could help me, I need to at least ask him for some, right?

"Do you have any scissors?", I asked

"Yeah?"

"Can I please borrow it?"

"S-sure" he instantly said while he fixed his glasses with his finger. He put his bag down and looked for a scissor.

He looked tensed in some ways. Couldn't he just calm down a bit? It's pulling some weird feelings out of me. This is awkward.

I wonder why is he so shy towards girls. Is he probably scared of me or something? I don't look like a tiger that would eat him. Ok, maybe a little but I'm innocent. Really.

He handed me the scissor but before I even got to touch it, he pulled it back near his chest.

"Y-you would not cut yourself out, would you?"

"What? No, I wouldn't! Promise!" his stuttering and worried voice made me smile

"Really? Where will you use it then?"

"There's a gum stuck in my hair. By any chances, can you help me out?"

"M-maybe I could" he stood behind me and gently cut the gum out of my hair. Silence in the room lasted for minutes that you could only hear the soft sound of the hair being cut.

I tried to break the silence between us and asked, "Hans, does it looked that bad?"

He came out to be a little startled with my simple sudden inquiry. But then I heard him cleared his throat and contained himself.

"N-nope. Not anymore. Just a moment, it's almost done..." he cut a little more and continued,"...there... you... go" he released my head from his hands and showed me the gum with some strands of hair in it.

Eeew, it looks awful!

But at least I would not me bothered by that gum anymore.

"Thank you Hans. Very much." he gave me a shy but genuine smile and replied while fixing his glasses, "You're welcome, ma'am" my eyes narrowed on how he addressed me

"Ma'am? That's what you think I am?, 'Ma'am'?"

"It's just, we've never really acknowledged each other before. I just don't know what to call you" he shyly said loooking at the ground.

"Uhmmm, you can call me Andie or anything you want to name me. Just not 'ma'am'"

"Ohh, okay... Andie" he looked into my eyes innocently. "I hope we could be great friends. It's nice finally talking to you." He reached out his hand offering me a hand shake.

"Maybe we should go and wash first" I said cracking a smile. He pulled his hands back in realization and said, "Yeah, good idea!" we both chuckled

Not that I am disgusted but urghh I just badly need to wash first. That gum came from that dork's mouth with saliva and everything. By just thinking about it, now that's disgusting.

As we walk back to our room after washing our hands, I noticed that Hans starts to be a bit more comfortable around me and same with me towards him. I'm not really that easy giving my trust but Hans has been here in our school for a while and he doesn't seem to have bad intentions.

I can see that he looks good when he smile, looked more handsom I should say. He should do this more often.

When we finally reached our room, our classmates are already there and new arrangement with the seats are made. Seriously, we need to have our permanent seats. I'm sick of this! Like, who wouldn't be? Sit here today, there tomorrow. It .

Now there's Shane sitting in my seat beside Lue. Just great. I bet he knew or should I say, everyone knew that that place is where I sit.

I eyed Lianne and who also looks pissed beside Shane. I just let out a sigh and tried to just find our new seats.

We saw vacant seats at the front row just right next to each other. Hans and I looked at each other and I shrugged my shoulders with a satisfied look. Just as I hate sitting in front, I still have no choice. Hmmm... but as I think about it, it's better to be right next to Hans instead of that .

Ok, so our class started and then ends and another one started; ends, and so on. All of those classes this afternoon, I have Hans as my seatmate. I know I shouldn't be like this but I felt really awkward everytime I accidentally see his stolen glances and stares. Is it normal to him? I'm just not used to those kind of looks comming from a guy. You know, it kind of freaks me out.

Hans is a transfer student and it's been almost three months but believe me, he is really good in his classes and became popular among teachers and students but this is the first time we've made a cozy conversation, smiled, and tried to be friends with each other.

I'm not really good at making friends. Don't get me wrong. I have friends but they're more like just someone I know.

I mean, friend is someone that always accompany you, someone you trust and trusts you back. Maybe that's why I only have Lianne.

Well yeah, I have my bros but I don't have a sister. She's really my best friend, see, I was once the soft and weakling that gets bullied by others but when I started to get saved by her and be her best friend, it turned out differently.

And now with Hans, as I look at him, he really seemed nice I should say. He's somewhat different from others.

I could add up one more brother I suppose.

I kept thinking about Hans as I go to my locker to pack up my things. I paused for a while remembering his smile. His smile... his genuine innocent smile is... it's just, I just find it really handsome that it gives me shivers by just looking at it.

I feel some currents in my spine and I don't know why and what it is but it feels good. Well, I just wish he could have a better hair cut and wear contact lenses instead of that thick glasses but I can say that Hans really caught my attention today.

I opened my locker and a piece of paper fell down. I found it weird but I just read it,

'Hey! don't be late'

It has no  sender at all. I wonder what this is. Never mind, somebody might have just put it on the wrong locker.

I packed my things ready to go home and as just I was about to close the door, I'm having a weird feeling that I am forgetting something important. Think Andie, think! I really hate it when my head became pre-occupied and I turned out to be forgetting things out. I sigh in frustration.

"Aha! I knew it!" I said while pointing a finger upward. I went back to our classroom and opened my desk. "There it is!" I muttered to myself with a wide grin in my face as I get my schedule table. "I always forget about you! Let's go home"

Ok so I talk to a paper. Silly me, but seriously, I cannot live in school without my sched table. I don't know but I just can't memorize my different schedule for everyday. I would just read and study my lessons like I usually do than memorizing my sched.

I looked at my watch and it says 'time to go home Andie' haha nope, it says '4:35 pm'.

I reached the school doors and as I opened it, a glare from Shane landed on my eyes. What is he up now? Pfff wierdo. I just ignored him and walked my way.

"Hey, Rams! You're late!", yelled Shane

My eyebrows narrowed as I turn my back facing him.

"Late for what?" still clueless

"The race?" he replied sarcastically

"Oooh! Yeah, I almost forgot!"

"Almost?" I really hate his comebacks. He's making me look idiot. Argh

"Fine. I forgot. Now, shall we?"

He smirked and nodded as we proceed to our cars. Wow I can't believe I can finally call that baby as my car!

He entered his car and so do I. We looked at each other fiercely then I sarted the engine. I took a deep breath and looked a him. His fingers signed '1...2...' and in stepped into the gas on 3.

Yeah this car goes fine but it's really heavy. This is definitely not for racing. I am so dead if Gray finds out.

"Oh my gosh!" I almost jumped into my seat as Shane goes in level with me.

I stepped longer into the gas pedal and got the lead. I stirred right trying to block Shane. A grin carcked into my face until I saw the 'Rose's Street' sign. It remided me getting near to the freaking hill. By just the thought of that, it somehow made me lost my confidence since this car really have its limitations shorter than the others. I hate that hill! What should I do! It's a bit steep you know.

I took a deep breath and looked at the side mirror. Shane is almost near me. I stepped longer in the gas pedal but this car is just really heavy for this. I should have took a smooth start before pressing the gas to this hill.

Oh darn it, this is steep! I released the gas for a second and stepped on it again but just when I removed my foot from the pedal, the car retreated and seems like the engine even stopped.

"Oh my! oh my! oh my!" my nervousness arouse and I lost control with the car then bumped into another one behind me. I suppose it's probably Shane's! Oh my gosh! what is happening!

We both slide down the hill really fast! The force is just really pulling our car down the hill fast but Shane's car tilted to left and mine slids more until I heard a loud crash and saw the back of his car bumped into a big tree. Luckily, my car slowed down as it reached the flat area. I immediately get out of the car and my minf just became full blocked. All I can think for the moment is Shane. I can really feel the guilt with my heart pounding hard and knees shaking with nervousness. I'm fine but I need to go to Shane! Then I finally saw his car.

I ran towards it as fast as I could which I can see, was really destroyed. Seeing the condition of the car from outside made my heart beat faster as I go near it! I don't know what to do!

I need to compose myself and be calm for a moment. I hold my chest and let out a heavy sigh.

I finally reached his car and saw Shane trying to tilt his head. I opened the door shakingly and grabbed Shane's arm putting it around my neck. I tried to pull him out of the car but he's heavy.

While I was trying to pull him out, he also struggled to move his leg out. I can hear his breath filled with nervousness which made me more afraid. How could this happen! I'm sure this is going to be a total mess!

I pulled him harder and he yelled in pain! I muttered sorry with shakey voice and we both struggled to pull him out of this stupid thing.

He moved his other leg and finally, he came out. We almost fall but managed to be on our feet. We both sighed in relief when both of his hands suddenly were on my shoulders. He stared at me with tired eyes as a stare back at him. We stayed like that for five seconds when he took a deep breath and suddenly hugged me! I startled a bit and then I saw his eyes closed already. But I can feel he's shaking.

I can hear him running out of air surely because of nervousness. But I'm the girl! I'm scared too! Well he faced more danger, poor little rich boy. I hesitated but tapped his back hoping this would at least comfort him and his arms around my wasit got tighter and his head burried on my shoulder. Then I heard some sobs.

"Are you crying?" I whispered

He tried to release and stand on his own.

We just stared into each other when he just fainted and fall on my shoulders once again. I heard some sirens of police and ambulance getting nearer and in no time, there they are. I felt somehow relieved.

As long as I want to be on my feet, my eyes just got heavier as it involuntarily closed. I'm getting really dizzy already when I felt someone toched my back.

There I finally passed out.