Picking sides

Marriage Booth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before she slowly opens her eyes, Karina tries searching for a familiar figure on the other side of the bed, only to be disappointed with how empty it felt. It dawned on her that her wife left to go on a business trip.

 

 

She rolled on the empty and cold part where Winter sleeps and she sniffs her wife's scent from it.

 

 

“Hmm.. I miss her.” Karina utters in her deep morning voice as she snuggles on her wife's pillow.

 

 

After a few minutes of staying in the same position, Karina finally had the urge to move and start her day. And by that we mean, checking her social media accounts or simply just messaging her wife even though she knows Winter can't read them at the moment.

 

 

“Bahala kang magsawa sa mukha ko, ifaflood kita.” She said before sending a ‘Good morning, asawa ko! I just woke up, look!’ as a headstart and adding a series of selfies. She also didn't forgot to tell her wife that she misses her already and that Winter should go home in one complete piece.

 

 

Satisfied with the amount of messages she sent(which reached over 78 messages in total excluding the pics), Karina decided to go out today just to forget the feeling that she's alone.

 

 

Palabas na siya ng bahay pero bago ito tuluyang makarating sa pinto ay nagpaalam muna ito sa asawa niya.

 

 

‘Asawa ko, I'll just go out shopping po and will probably gonna try some restaurants my friends recommended. Ingat ka dyan, I miss you!’

 

 

And after niya masend yun ay umalis na rin ito. Nag grab lang si Karina, naka disguise naman siya kaya di naman siya makikilala. Lumalamig na rin ang simoy ng hangin kaya malaya siyang nakakapag long sleeves without any suspicious looks thrown at her.

 

 

Pumasok siya sa loob ng isang cafe na nirecommend ni Chaewon. Napadaan daw doon minsan si Yunjin after work at binilhan si Chaewon ng pasalubong galing sa shop at nagustuhan niya ito kaya naman ay nairecommend niya kay Karina.

 

 

She ordered their best sellers at agad din naman itong dumating. While searching for a table, Karina noticed something. Puro couples ang customers! 

 

 

“Tsk.”

 

 

She sat at an empty table facing the wall para kapag kumain siya ay hindi makikita ang mukha niya, ganun din ang mga magjowang naglalampungan sa paligid niya.

 

 

“Edi sana kung andito siya edi ganyan din kami? Hmp!” She took her phone to message her wife at sabihing “Asawa ko, alam mo bang ang daming magjowa dito sa pinuntahan kong cafe? Naiingit ako! Pagkauwi mo rito magdate din tayo.”

 

 

And before closing her phone, she looked at her phone’s home screen. It was a picture of her wife that she secretly took while Winter was cooking kaya naka talikod ito. Maikli ang buhok ni Winter at naka polo at trousers din ito kaya hindi mo sure kung babae o lalaki ba yung nasa picture.

 

 

Karina smiled widely at it. She was even grazing her finger tips at the phone's screen as if she's really touching her wife. But her smiles immediately went back to being a poker face after hearing some annoying being call her.

 

 

“Karina?” Hyunjin called her and as soon as he confirmed who it was, he excitedly sat in front of her.

 

 

“Y-you look so beautiful smiling like that.” Hyunjin added. Naka magnanakaw get up din siya pero bucket hat at sunglasses lang to cover his face. Nakababa na rin kasi ang facemask ni Karina dahil kumakain siya. Maybe her mole gave it away.

 

 

“Thank you. But if you don't mind, can you take another seat elsewhere? I don't want rumors circulating around eh.” Karina straightforwardly said. Mahirap na, kakabati lang nilang magasawa. She's not up for another cold shoulder session with Winter, kaya she's doing her best not to be seen with someone while she still hasn't announced her marriage.

 

 

“Isn't it better? Being seen with me? It'll be good for us since we get publicity for the film, right?” He said drinking his Iced Americano coffee.

 

 

It made Karina's head ache. ‘Ang kulit naman ng lelang nito? Di ba to nakakaramdam?’

 

 

“I'm sorry but this is beyond work hours. It'll be a good boost for the film, yes, but they'll focus more on the issue and not on the film itself.” She's starting to get irritated, even forming a fist with her left hand.

 

 

“Okay, okay. Just let me sit across from you. I won't bother you I promise, I'm just gonna sit here.” Sabi ni Hyunjin but Karina is more firm with her stand.

 

 

“Sorry but no. If you don't want to leave then I'll just leave.” She stood up and was about to turn and search for another table but Hyunjin held her.. again.

 

 

“No, don't leave. I'll leave nalang.” Karina immediately shook their hands at medyo nakakaattract na din sila ng crowd. A girl who was sitting near then went in and intercepted between the two.

 

 

“Hi, I heard you two talking.. and I'm sorry for accidentally eavesdropping but I think she's not comfortable with your presence. You can take our other available tables on the second floor and I'll call a crew to guide you there.” Agad naman itong sumenyas sa isang waiter at binilinan na dalhin si Hyunjin sa second floor na agad naman nitong sinunod. Wala na ring nagawa si Hyunjin dahil may mga nakakakilala na sa kaniya.

 

 

“Hi, are you alright?” The woman said facing Karina. And looking back at the woman who saved her, nakilala niya ito.

 

 

“Vice Gov?” Napakunot ang noo nito Gaeul nang may tumawag muli sa kanya ng posisyon na hinawakan niya during college.

 

 

“Uh? Do I know you?” Natatawang tanong ni Gaeul.

 

 

Ibinaba ni Karina ang sunglasses nito at agad namang nanlaki ang mata ni Gaeul.

 

 

“Rina?!” Medyo napalakas pa nga kaya agad din itong napatakip ng bibig habang si Karina naman ay sumenyas na huwag itong maingay.

 

 

“Ay, sorry. Ikaw pala yan, kamusta kana?” Nagkakilala si Gaeul at Karina through Giselle noong college. Kapag kasi kailangan si Giselle sa SG, either kay Ningning o kay Karina hinahanap ni Gaeul ang Governor nila kaya naging close na rin sila dahil doon.

 

 

“Eto, I'm doing good! Ikaw ba?” Umupo silang dalawa with Gaeul occupying Hyunjin’s previous seat.

 

 

“Me too. Buti pala napadalaw ka rito. I co-own this cafe with my fiancé pala.” Napa ohh naman si Karina sa nalaman niya. Hindi rin kasi nabanggit ni Chaewon yung info na yun.

 

 

“Actually, this is my first time. Nirecommend ni Chaewon kasi masarap daw ang pastries and drinks dito. Never knew this was owned by you and your partner!” Karina said with delight. ”By the way this might have been too late but, congratulations on your engagement, Vice Gov!" Dagdag pa nito which Gaeul thanked.

 

 

“Chaewon probably went on a weekday. May pasok kasi ako sa clinic pag weekdays. Tuwing weekends naman dito ako. Anyways, I'll send you an invite to our wedding next year. I hope you can come.” Ngiting sabi ni Gaeul. Nakita naman nitong nangangailangan na uli ng supervision niya sa business nila kaya naman ay nagpaalam na rin ito para muling bumalik sa pag aasikaso ng mga staff nila.

 

 

 

 

Minjeong arrived in London along with her secretary. Sinundo sila ng company car nila at agad na idineretso sa hotel na tutuluyan nila.

 

 

“Minjeong I'll be staying next door. If you have anything you want me to do, just chat me.” Joy said bago tuluyang pumasok sa kwartong katapat lang din ng kwarto ni Winter. 

 

 

Winter went straight to bed dahil sa sobrang pagod. Nakaupo lang naman siya buong byahe pero yung fatigue damang dama ng buong katawan niya. Pero bago ang lahat, she wanted to see if she received any messages from her wife, which she does. She actually received a lot.

 

 

“What a cute wife of mine.” She whispered to the air as she reads what had happened to Karina's day. She even had to create a new gallery album for saving her wifes photos and keeping them. Naka backup pa yan sa cloud para just in case, she could still have them.

 

 

She also replied to all of Karina's messages, agreeing on a bunch of silly requests from her wife who's badly missing her. Even sending a photo of herself just to make up for being away from each other.

 

 

“I should quickly wrap things in here, my wife misses me too much.” Another whisper Winter uttered to herself before dozing off.

 

 

 

 

Karina got home after exploring some more. She also bought clothes and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter