A Study Date for Eight!

From Left Field

~~ Yun Hee POV ~~

It was the Friday after us witnessing the talents of our new friends that a problem arose. A problem that could change Kyou’s future forever. A problem that could hinder her down for the rest of her life.

She was failing her classes.

Kyou wasn’t dumb. She just didn’t apply herself in school much. She knew it was important to get good grades so she could advance in life, but she was just too lazy to do anything about it. Jiyoung and I found out about this on our way home in Dae Guk Nam Ah’s van. We were sitting in our usual seats.

Jiyoung was bragging about her latest math grade. It wasn’t the type of bragging to make everyone jealous or think that she was better than them; instead she wanted to us to be proud of her. We were, of course.

After she finished telling her story, Kyou found it was the right time to inform us about her troubles. “So,” she began, “I’m failing two classes.”

Jiyoung and I looked at her concerned despite her fake nonchalance.

“Woah,” Jay commented. “Even Hyunmin’s not that bad, and he’s stupid.”

“Hey!” Hyunmin shouted before Injun cut him off.

Injun’s face brightened immensely. “Why don’t we have a small study session? Well, it won’t be small since there’s eight of us, but let’s do it.”

I glanced at Jiyoung and Kyou already knowing their answer. “Okay,” I beamed. “When would we have it?”

“It’s not like I don’t know how to do the work. I know everything.  I just don’t do it,” Kyou announced.

“Well, we can help you catch up on the work you missed out. And I need some help with science, anyway,” Jiyoung brought up.

“Alright, how about tomorrow after school?” Injun suggested.

We all nodded.

“Wait,” Karam interrupted. “We should have it at your house this time.”

“My mother doesn’t like visitors,” Jiyoung said.

“And I don’t like hanging out at my house,” Kyou added.

“But you’ve been to our house. It’s our turn to go to yours,” Karam whined.

Jiyoung sighed. “Fine, I’ll see what I can do.”

 

~~ Kyou POV ~~

The next day after school, we went straight to Yun Hee and Jiyoung’s residence. This was like my second home. I came here every day after school and on weekends. I basically did everything here except sleep, which is weird because girls usually have sleepovers, but we didn’t need to. Since I lived down a few houses, it wasn’t necessary to sleepover.

Jiyoung hopped out of the car first, and strolled to the door. I followed behind her until she opened the front door and let me in before her, then jumped in front of Yun Hee playfully. The boys trailed after Yun Hee.

I watched Dae Guk Nam Ah as they entered and politely apologized for the intrusion. For some reason, I expected them to be a little nervous, but they weren’t. At least, they didn’t show it.

The eight of us took off our shoes and set them in the entrance. There were five slippers at the doorway. Yun Hee told them they could wear them. I didn’t know they had that many guest slippers. I assumed that my uncle had bought more at the last minute. He always worried about small things.

Speaking of my uncle, he was sitting in the living room with my aunt, or Yun Hee and Jiyoung’s mother. I set my bag on the couch and walked ahead of the group to venture into the kitchen to get a drink for myself. I heard the boys respectfully greet the adults.

While in the kitchen, I took out the cup I usually use here and poured some iced tea into it. I thought maybe DGNA wanted some as well. My aunt was at my side after I heard everyone move upstairs.

She watched me with wide eyes. “Those boys are cute.”

“Yeah, I know.” They were all pretty handsome.

“How did you girls get boys like them?” She mocked disbelief. I rolled my eyes at her before she said, “I’m only kidding. You know that.”

“Yeah, I know.”

She reached into the cabinet at the side of the refrigerator and pulled out a pitcher. “Here, take this up to them.” She poured some of the contents of the gallon of iced tea into the container.

“Okay.” I stacked some glasses into each other and set them in my arm while carrying the pitcher of iced tea in my hand.

I returned to the living room and headed for the stairs. “Do you need help with that, Kyou?” my uncle asked worriedly.

“No, I’m fine.” I went into the hall way. I wasn’t sure if they were in Yun Hee’s or Jiyoung’s bedroom. I took the closest room near me, which happened to be Jiyoung’s. I spotted everyone on the floor.  “Is anyone thirsty?”

“Yes, thank you.” Injun stood to grab the cups from me because I was having trouble. He set them on a low coffee table that never used to be there.

I recognized it as the one in the living room. “Did you guys move the coffee table here just now?”

Yun Hee nodded and grabbed the pitcher and filled each cup with some of the drink. “I’m hungry. Is anyone else hungry?”

“Get chips or some snacks or something,” Jiyoung commanded.

She sighed, “I’ll see what I can do.”

“Thank you,” Jay called out.

I saw that someone had brought my bag up. I sat in an empty area around the table and shuffled through it. “Did anyone bring their English book with them?”

“I did,” Karam tossed the book over to me after digging in his own bag for it.

“Thank you.” I opened it up and began to search through it for some quotes that matched the prompt of the worksheet that I had. It was actually supposed to be due a few days ago, but I figured I would get it done anyway.

There were a few moments of silence, except for Jiyoung’s question to Karam about a science problem, before Yun Hee returned to the room empty-handed. “I didn’t know what to bring,” was her excuse. She stayed at the doorway.

“It doesn’t matter to us. We’re not too picky,” Injun smiled. He was always so sweet.

“I’ll go down and find something,” Jiyoung proposed. “I want to take a break, anyway.” She got up with groan.

“You just started,” I mumbled to no one in particular at her lazy attitude.

Karam watched her before he offered his assistance. “I’ll come with you. I know everyone’s tastes, so I’ll help you pick something.” He pushed himself off the floor with more grace than Jiyoung had.

“Okay, thanks,” she beamed.


Alright~! Chapter sixteen~! No one guessed the answer to the riddle! Was it really that bad, or do you guys just hate me? Well, this chapter showed the fail part of it, and next chapter you shall learn the success! Is it obvious as to what it is? Am I predictable? You guys probably already know what it is v.v Anyway, I actually wanted to leave this chapter off on a cliffhanger, but I couldn't find a way to do so without making the chapter too long or too rushed, so I kept it as is. Yup. It feels like my chapters are getting shorter and shorter and so are my author's notes OTL.