Sick Puppies and Puppy Love!

From Left Field

~~ Yun Hee POV ~♥~

The rest of the school day went by way too fast. I barely had enough time to come up with how I should react depending on different scenarios that may occur after classes in front of the school gates.

Lunch was about the only break I was able to plan some things out. Unfortunately, I missed interactions between Jiyoung, Kyou, Karam, and Jay. It didn’t look like much. Just small talk, no more teasing or flirting.

Finally, the last bell rang, and we were dismissed. I took slow strides. Just because I was determined, doesn’t mean I wasn’t nervous.

I reached the outside of the school. Instead of moving to the right, I looked to the left for the boys.  There were five of them this time. Kyou and Jiyoung were already chatting with them. I timidly walked over to the group.

“What took you so long?” Jiyoung asked. Everyone was waiting for my response.

“Umm,” I stuttered. I didn’t like everyone’s attention on me. I didn’t dare to check if Mika was also looking. “I was talking to Hana Eun.” It wasn’t entirely a lie. I had said goodbye to her before I left the school building, but it wasn’t really the reason I was late. Then again, who said I was answering Jiyoung’s question? Maybe I was just stating a fact coincidentally after Jiyoung asked a question to which that could be an answer to. Ah, loopholes…

“Oh, I saw you talking to her this morning,” Kyou brought up.

“Yeah, and it left Kyou all lonely,” Jay cooed as if he was referring to his newborn baby and pinched her cheeks. She glared at him, but he didn’t let go, so she swatted his hands away from her face.

Everyone laughed. I looked at Mika while everyone’s attention was diverted to Jay and Kyou. His face was so cute when he was laughing!

Karam took the chance of silence to finally introduce the last of his quintet. “Injun, this is Yun Hee,” he held his hands toward me that reminded me of a model on a game show. “Yun Hee, Injun.”

“Hi,” we both greeted at the same time. His smile broadened, and I giggled.

It got quiet again. This isn’t good. Now I won’t be able to talk to Mika.

“Well, we should get going,” Kyou suggested. Stupid Kyou.

“Bye bye,” Jay sung.

“See you next time,” Injun bubbled.

“I'll talk to you tomorrow,” Karam chirped.

“We should hang out again soon,” Hyunmin proposed.

“Bye,” Mika waved.

The three of us said our farewells back. I smiled at each of them. I tried to smile at Mika the longest, but backed out from being nervous. It turned out to be more of a glance. He thinks I hate him now, I thought drearily.

When we were out of earshot, I voiced my plans to Jiyoung and Kyou. “I didn’t get to talk to Mika.” I started to fake cry on the person closest to me’s shoulder, which happened to be Jiyoung.

“You’re okay. Calm down,” was her comforting me. It didn’t help. She patted my head rapidly and hard.

“Ow,” I lifelessly cried with my head still on her shoulder. It was difficult to do while walking so I stood straight up and pouted at Kyou who hadn’t said anything yet.

She stared at me and said, “You’re a creeper.”

I thought about it. It may have been true. He probably just viewed me as just another one of those crazy girls at school that only want to ogle at his beauty. I probably was, too. I didn’t even know him. I should calm down about him until I find out what he’s like.

 The rest of the way to the station and on the train, I ignored my thoughts of Mika.

When we got off the train, nothing was out of ordinary. Jiyoung, Kyou, and I were talking about what happened in school today.

We were a few blocks from home, and I saw a navy blue minivan with people standing next to it. Like a normal person would do, I casually looked over to watch. I noticed they were wearing our uniforms. I didn’t know someone from our school lived close by.

“Look, students from Seoul School of Arts,” I pointed them out to Jiyoung and Kyou. Immediately after, I realized who it was.

“It’s…” Kyou started, unsure if she was right or not as to whom it was.

“Karam, Jay, and everyone?” Jiyoung finished.

“Yeah,” I slurred. “That’s…”

“Crazy,” Jiyoung finished once again.

“Yeah,” Kyou stated.

We got a little closer. They were across the street from us. Standing outside of the vehicle were Mika, Jay, Karam, and Hyunmin. Someone was inside of the car that I assumed was Injun.

“Call out to them, Kyou,” Jiyoung murmured.

“No, you do it.”

“But your voice is louder.”

“They’re right there. They can hear you.”

Jay looked up to see us. I don’t know if he heard us or if he just noticed three teenage girls were staring at them and whispering.

“We were spotted,” I harshly breathed as if we were secret agents caught stealing jewels.

“What are you guys doing here?” he called. He crossed the street to us with Karam following. “Are you stalking me? Can’t get enough of me at school so you followed me home, Kyou?”

Kyou her teeth and backhanded his arm.

“Anyway,” Karam brought us back to the original question, “what are you doing here?”

“We live around here,” Jiyoung answered.

“Really? That’s so cool. We live right here.” Karam waved his hand behind him without taking his eyes away from her.

“That’s crazy,” I said by myself this time.

“Hmm? Why is it crazy?” Karam asked.

He really didn’t know. “Nothing. Never mind.”

“Well, we just got back from picking up some supplies, so we’re a little busy putting them-” Karam was cut off by Jay.

“But, we can talk for a little while.” I had a feeling Jay was just trying to get out of doing the work.

Karam pondered the idea. “Yeah, I guess we can.”

I looked back at the other three boys. Injun was still inside of the car. What was he doing? Hyunmin was jogging off to where we had come from. I wonder where he was going. That left Mika standing alone.

He looked over at us and concluded that Karam and Jay would be dawdling for a while. Mika played with his hair and heaved a sigh. After a moment, he picked up a large, rectangular box with a microphone stand printed on its side.

Jiyoung saw me watching Mika. “Why don’t you go help Mika, Yun Hee?” she recommended.

“Uhh,” I spluttered. Karam and Jay were confused. At least I hadn’t been too obvious about my crush. “Y-yeah.” I hesitantly started to walk over to him looking back a few times at Kyou and Jiyoung’s encouraging expression. Later I realized it was less of encouragement and more of amusement etched on their faces.

I finally approached Mika. “Umm. Do you need any help?” I faltered. “It looks like Jay and Karam are going to be slacking off for a bit,” I awkwardly laughed.

He was surprised at my sudden assistance. “Sure, thanks,” he put on a small smile that faded quickly. His voice was soft like an angel’s.

I looked in the back of the van where all of the items were. Injun was passed out in the passenger seat. “So he was sleeping,” I mumbled to myself.

“Yeah,” Mika spoke behind me. “He’s lazy. Apparently, Karam and Jay are too. Hyunmin even bailed to get an audio system we forgot to pick up at the store.”

I laughed, too nervous to come up with a witty comment. “You aren’t going to wake him up?” I said instead.

“No. He hasn’t been sleeping well lately with Jang Boah sick.”

“Jang Boah?”

“His dog. She caught a cold, and Injun is worried about her. She hasn’t been able to sleep so Injun stays up with her making sure she’s okay.”

“Oh. How sweet. She must be a lucky puppy,” I conjectured.

“She is,” he exhaled. “Excuse me,” he reached out his arm to grab another box. His chest was nearly an inch away from my back, and his arm was only centimeters from my cheek. With such a handsome person so close, I naturally became flustered. My face heated up, and my back became hot.

He backed away from my body and went inside the house. I inhaled and shut my eyes to calm myself down. Then I took another box without looking at what it was and hurriedly followed after Mika.

I entered through the doorway and slowed down to gawk at the living room. It was a decent size and mostly neat for five young boys to be living in with each other.

“Is it not what you expected?” Mika stood in the entrance to the dining room with a raised eyebrow.

I halted at his voice. “No, it’s not. I thought it would be small and messy like an average teenage boy’s room.”

“We try to keep the first floor organized. If you see our bedrooms, they’re really bad,” he joked.

“I’d like to see that,” I laughed. Then, I blushed at my comment. I hadn’t realized how flirtatious and suggestive that would most likely sound to other people’s ears. “I mean, I didn’t mean it like that. I was just saying that I couldn’t imagine it being messy when down here is so neat… Uh…” My face turned a darker shade of red at the horrible explanation.

Mika looked confused. His face turned into a reassuring one. “I knew what you meant. Don’t worry,” he chuckled.

I looked down nervously without saying anything. I was glad he understood, but it was still embarrassing. I should say something, I thought. “Yeah, thanks,” I came up with. I don’t know what I was thanking him for, but it was the only thing I could say.

“For what?”

I groaned to myself. When will I stop embarrassing myself? I pretended like I didn’t hear him. “Where should I put the box?”

“In the dining room. Just leave it near the closet door,” he pointed and left to fetch another item.

“Okay,” I nodded.

I felt awkward. I wondered if he felt the same way. I guessed he didn’t because he wasn’t the one constantly embarrassing himself. If anything, he must have felt indifferent to this situation. I became depressed again.

I walked into the dining room and dropped off the box. It was just as organized as the living room. There was a white circular table in the middle with four matching chairs around it. Poor person who doesn’t have a chair, I pitied.

In the corner of my eye I noticed a dark blob shift. I quickly looked over to what it was. It was a dog. He was tired and didn’t care for my intrusion. It was the first time that a dog hasn’t barked at me for entering their home. He wasn’t even curious or excited. He must have been really sick.

I approached the dog cautiously and kneeled in front of her. “Are you Jang Boah?” I asked her in a sweet tone. I petted behind her ear. “Hmm? You’re such a cutie.”

Mika came back with another piece of equipment. “So you found her.”

“Yeah. She’s so cute and small. Aren’t you? Yeah, I know you are. You’re such a good girl,” I said like an older woman praising a child.

Mika watched me as if I was a crazy person and set the apparatus down. “You’re so weird,” he told me disbelievingly.

“What? No, I’m not.” I turned back to Jang Boah. “I know. He’s such a meanie. It’s okay; I still love you.” I made kissy faces at her. She put her head on her paws and closed her eyes halfway.

“How is that not weird?”

“Because Jang Boah said it wasn’t. Isn’t that right, baby? Whatever Jang Boah says is true, right, cutie?”

“What? You’re such a weirdo,” he repeated.

I stood up not wanting to bother the ill animal. “You’re the weirdo,” I glared and walked past him to retrieve another box outside.

“How am I a weirdo?” He followed after me.

“Because Jang Boah said so.” We exited the door.

“No, she didn’t. Jang Boah loves me. She would never say that about me.”

“She told me that she secretly hates you and calls you names all the time.” We picked something up from the van without paying much attention what it was.

“No, don’t lie. She told me that she hates you because you were bothering her.”

“Oh, please, don’t make up such farfetched stories. She said she hates that.” We set down the boxes where they belong.

“I’m not the one making up stories.” He didn’t move and blocked my way back out.

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not.” We were standing in the dining room having a staring contest.

“Yes.”

“No.”

“‘No’ what?” A voice cut into our conversation. I whipped my head around in surprise to see who it was. It was Injun.

“I can’t really remember which part we were arguing about…” Mika mumbled. I wasn’t sure either. “Something about Jang Boah calling people weird,” he pondered.

“Jang Boah doesn’t make fun of people. She’s a sweet little princess.” Injun crouched down in front of her and gingerly rubbed her head. She picked her head up and leaned into his touch still exhausted.

I suddenly felt nervous again. “Of course she doesn’t. I’m sorry Jang Boah,” I quickly apologized. “That was the last box right, Injun?”

“I think so,” he smiled up at me.

“Well, uh, we need to get going then.” I started backing away.

“Bye bye, Yun Hee. It was nice seeing you again, even if it was only for a little while,” Injun said. He got up from the floor and stood next to Mika.

“Yeah, you too,” I grinned.

“Thanks for helping me out. See you later,” Mika nodded.

“You’re welcome.” I averted my gaze from his eyes and put it on his chest instead. His tie was loose and his blazer was completely ed. He was wearing a small, black necklace. With his sleeves rolled up to his elbows, others might think he was some type of bad boy wannabe.

I stumbled out of the house alone and saw that Jiyoung, Kyou, Karam, and Jay were still merrily chirping across the street. I strolled towards the four of them not listening to their conversation. Instead, I watched Hyunmin coming down the sidewalk empty-handed.

“Looks like Hyunmin is back,” Karam mentioned.

“We should get going. You guys probably have a lot of work to do anyway,” Kyou excused.

Jay went in for a hug from Kyou. “Bye~! I'll see you tomorrow, Kyou!”

“Idiot, get away from me.” She pushed him away before he could embrace her. What the heck exactly happened while I was gone?

Everyone exchanged civilities and goodbyes before we headed home.

“So, what did you and Mika do in there?” Jiyoung began excitedly.

“What were you and Jay doing out here?” I turned to Kyou accusingly.

We laughed and shared each of our stories.


Chapter 7 is here! It took me a little longer to write this one than the rest because I was feeling unsure about it. Actually, this was the only scene that I had to do over and over again so many times in my head at night when I daydream. I even had a tough time coming up with a clever title! So how did it turn out?