Meeting Karam!

From Left Field

~~ Jiyoung POV ~♥~

I walked down the hallway and into my classroom. I greeted some of my classmates going to my seat next to my friend Min Ah. There was an empty seat in between us, and she would sometimes sneak over in it during class so we could talk. We aren’t exactly best friends, but we talk a lot in class and work together on projects when we can. We started off talking about Kpop, and ended up on the topic of an anime that I got her into. The teacher was up waiting at his desk for class to begin.

The clock read 7:50, and the teacher saw this. He cleared his throat and began to show that lessons were beginning by making motions, so everyone returned to their assigned seats, including Min Ah. Instead of starting his lecture, the teacher waited for a boy to enter class and rambled on. The boy was turned away, and I couldn’t see his face. The back of his head was… cute, I thought.

“Good morning. We’ll start off with introducing a new transfer student. Don’t make a ruckus, now. He just came to Seoul, so be nice and show him around until he gets used to the place. His name is Park Hyunchul. Go ahead and introduce yourself, now.”

He turned around and chuckled. “Ah, well you basically just did, sir. My name is Park Hyunchul, but just call me Karam, and I just recently moved here to Seoul with some friends in hopes of becoming a band. Uhh, please take care of me,” he bowed. He tried to cover his nervousness.

He was cute in the front, too. He was just so… cute! He had big eyes, the perfect smile, soft, brown hair, and God’s face! That sounded creepy, though. I attempted to hide my creeper smile by looking down at my desk, but it was futile.

“Now, go ahead and sit right there,” the teacher ordered and pointed to the seat in between Min Ah and me. I glanced over at her and caught her gaze. We both were a little disappointed that the new student was blocking our communication path, and we couldn’t just talk across him.

Karam walked over to his new seat. I was a little nervous myself. He had to be one of the most attractive boys I’ve ever seen, and he’s sitting right next to me. I finally realized that I heard people whispering in the background. I wasn’t the only one that thought he was cute.

“Hello, please take care of me, neighbors,” he nodded towards me and Min Ah. I smiled back. At least he was nice.

“If you need any help, just ask one of us,” Min Ah offered. My smile widened in agreement. I hope he doesn’t need too much help, yet I do. I don’t think I’d be able to speak in front of him, but I want to become his friend. As long as I have Min Ah, everything should be fine.

“Now, I’m passing out the assignments from last Friday. I want you to continue it with your partner from last week. Karam, you don’t know anyone, so how about you work with Min Ah and Jiyoung. It’s only the two of you, right?”

“Yes,” Min Ah and I said in unison.

“Alright, then. Get started, now. It’s due Wednesday.”

Min Ah and I gathered around Karam’s desk and pushed ours closer. We started talking about the assignment and filling Karam in. He was quick to catch on.

Karam was actually really smart. He pitched in a lot in the work. He must have done something similar at his previous school, I thought. It didn’t take us long to complete it, and we still had some time left before class ended.

“Well, we basically finished… Let’s just make it look like we’re doing something so he won’t give us extra work,” Min Ah suggested. We all laughed at it, but agreed on doing so. “I watched that anime on Saturday again,” She continued. She had trouble pronouncing the name of it because it was Japanese, but I knew what she meant.

“It’s called Durarara!!,” I told her. “Which episode was it? I didn’t watch it.” I had already seen all of the episodes, she was just watching repeats.

“Oh, hey, my friend watches that, I think,” Karam cut in. “I think he does. He watches something anime.”

“Really? Is he one of your friends that came here, too?” I asked referring to his Kpop band members he mentioned in his introduction.

“Yeah, but he’s a second year. His name is Hyunmin. He likes the whole anime and manga stuff.”

“Oh, that’s awesome. So do I. Do you know what else he likes?” I was excited because I didn’t know many other people with that same interest as me.

“Umm, he likes Bleach and One Piece and… some other ones…”

Bleach is one of my favorites too! I don’t really like One Piece, though. Pirates are crazy.”

“I’m glad?” he questioned, not knowing what else to say. “Maybe you guys can become friends.”

“Do you like that stuff, too?” Min Ah interjected. I had forgotten she was there.

“I don’t really watch it, but I don’t hate it. I’m more into Jdramas,” he confessed.

“That’s so weird! I’ve never met a boy that liked dramas,” she said.

“My friends and I sometimes watch dramas together, but it’s usually the ones about sports or something. I like the romance ones,” he laughed cutely.

“I watched a few dramas. Which one do you like best, Karam?” I said his name without realizing it at first. As soon as it left my tongue, I felt butterflies in my stomach. It was a foreign feeling that I hadn’t had in a long time. It was kind of embarrassing, and my face got a little hot. I hope my cheeks weren’t red; that would be even worse, but the thought just caused my temperature to rise further.

Bara no nai Hanaya.” It took me a while to process that he had actually answered. I was too focused on calming down to notice him reply.

After a moment, I commented back. “Oh, I really liked that one, too,” I replied a little less enthusiastically.

“Alright, listen, everyone. It’s almost time to switch. Push your desks back and get situated for next period.”

We did as we were told. The rest of the first half of school went by silently until lunch.


Karam appeared! And Jiyoung has taken a liking to him. But does Min Ah feel the same? Could there possibly be a dramatic love triangle?! Continue reading and find out~!