Taemin

Left Behind

{So with all the server issues and stuff it seems AFF decided to delete my last update. So, here I am writing it again. I changed it, of course, and I think I like it this way. At least it's longer! And it has some more plot and stuff in it. I hope you like it!}

"Yah! Minho!"

The noise startles me-- causing me to almost lose my grasp on Onew as we attempt to lift him from his sleeping position. Minho looks over, slightly concerned, before turning back to the origin of the sudden outburst. His wide eyes narrow as he tries to discern who has called his name, and as he recognizes them, I can see his shoulders tense, his grip tightening on our leader's arms. I follow my hyung's gaze, concerned by Minho's sudden change in composure.

Jonghyun appears first, his face slick with sweat and his eyes wide with rage. He has hold of Key's wrist, dragging him towards the two of us, as if he wasn't moving fast enough for him and was forced to pull him. Both seem to have trouble catching their breath as I stare, surprised and wide-eyed. What made them this way?

"Minho." His voice is stern and frighteningly enraged as he steps forward, leaving the gasping Kibum at the table to the right of ours. My hands leave Onew's arms and I find myself instinctively moving towards Minho, as if I can protect him from Jonghyun's alarming affront. "Do you know what the hell you made us do? We looked up and down this ing street for you. This," he points at the drooling leader. "Was my responsibility. Same with the maknae. You can leave."

"Hyung--" I start, moving closer to him in an effort to assuage the anger in his gaze. But he silences me with a sharp glance, his eyes piercing any courage I had obtained in those fleeting movements. I can see Minho's hands clenching the table, the only indication of his true emotions, but he drops his head, as if he agrees with Jonghyun's words.

"You're right. I'm sorry."

I glance towards my hyung but he avoids my gaze, slipping around Jonghyun as he makes his way towards the door. My feet long to run after him, to wrap my arms around his waist and to hug him close, to tell him that everything is alright now, now that we have each other. Now that we understand.

"Taemin." Jonghyun's voice is noticeably softer now and I rip my gaze from Minho's retreating back to face him. A gentle smile plays on his lips, as if he is calming some startled rabbit, as if he just protected a weak creature from harm. "Could you help me with this?" He motions to the drunken Onew with a wave of his hand. I long to tell him no, to scold him from speaking so harshly towards him​. But I'm the maknae... there is no way I can refuse.

So, I force a smile onto my face and position myself so I'm on the left side of my leader, hoisting him up onto my shoulders. I suddenly wish I had taken Jonghyun up on his offers to go work out at the gym-- this would be a long walk home. With a grunt I glance over towards Jonghyun, wondering if my hyung is ready to start towards the dorm.

"I'll get it, Taemin." I blink in surprise as Key rises from his chair, his hair slicked back with sweat and his face flushed from the run here. I open my mouth to protest but he raises a hand to halt my objection. "Honestly, Tae. I can see how much you are struggling. And, besides," his eyes suddenly flash with sincerity and sympathy as he says these next words. "I know you have a lot to think about."

I can't help but look away, flustered by the realization that Kibum is aware of the situation. Which, of course, means Jonghyun is as well. I slowly slip out from underneath Onew's arm and watch as the two start towards the door. And it suddenly makes sense. Their rushed arrival, the anger towards Minho, the fact that I couldn't be his responsibility-- that I was Jonghyun's. They all were trying to protect me, in their own way.

But, in reality, they have just taken that which I have wanted more than anything.

I trail behind the three on the way back, lost in thought as we penetrate the busy streets of Seoul. It is true, that Minho hurt me more than I could possibly say... but it is fine now. Or, at least it was going to be. I'm sure there was a reason behind those hurtful words, and when explained, it would make all the sense in the world. Because, if there's one thing I know about Minho, it's that he's just and fair. Yes, at times he can be a hot head and he sometimes has trouble thinking before he speaks, but he realizes his mistake and apologizes afterwards. He always does that, does what is right. So, why would this time be any different?

I long to see him again, his broad shoulders, his wide eyes, and his smile. Yes, a smile would make all of this pain and uncertainty worth it. But, as I near the dorm I can't help but notice the lights are out, leaving me to believe he has already retired for the night. Doesn't he want to fix this too? Frustrated, I stuff my hands into my pockets and follow my three hyungs up and into the dorm. I take Key's spot in supporting Onew as he kneels down to remove the muddied shoes from our leader's feet. Jonghyun scoffs at his friend's actions, but Kibum takes no mind and sets the trainers on their designated mat.

"I've got it," I tell him as he moves to take Onew's arm. "You go and rest, Key. Thank you." He smiles and nods before backing away to make room for Jonghyun and I. The few steps to the leader's room are laborious and slow, but we make it there. I gently lay him on his bed, grabbing a spare blanket from the window sill and spreading it atop his body.

"You're good to him," I hear Jonghyun say as I tuck the fabric beneath his chin. I turn to look at Jjong, his eyes warm as he gazes at the two of us. There is affection there, an almost fatherly glow in his eyes as he stares, his arms crossed on his wide chest.

"It's my way of thanking him," I explain as I turn back towards my leader. "He's always there for me, always supporting me. I have to do these little things to compensate for all that he's done for me. Of course," I say softly as I straighten up to a standing position. "I don't think it'll ever be enough. But, I'll keep trying. I'll always keep trying to make it up to him, in any way I can."

I smile at Jonghyun as I move away from Onew's side and towards the door. As I move to slip by Jjong, his hand lands softly on my shoulder. I look up in surprise and meet his gaze-- the eyes that bore into my own are filled with emotion, warmth, sincerity, and perhaps tears?

"Tae," he says with conviction that I have rarely seen Jonghyun speak with.  "You're a good man. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, alright?"

I feel a blush tickle my cheeks and it grows along with the smile on my lips. "Thank you," I hear myself breathe to the floor as I avert my gaze. My hyung places his hand on my head and rustles my hair before stepping aside and letting me pass. That smile stays with me as I crawl into bed and close my eyes, sleep softly taking me as the night wraps itself around my mind.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Two days have passed since that fateful night, but Minho and I have yet to speak to one another. Our schedules made it impossible to even have a second to breathe. Three performances in two days, along with the normal two hour practices left our entire SHINee family breathless and exhausted. Any spare moments that could of been spent speaking were been designated for sleeping, a necessary decision on all fronts. It was especially troublesome for our leader. The hangover he had experienced was not helped by the nonstop routine-- the first morning had been the worst, of course. But now, as I glance at his smiling face, it seems as though that pain has passed. He remembers nothing of that night though-- he had even asked Key why he had such a horrible headache to begin with.

So, he doesn't remember the kiss. I find security in this thought as I nestle into my seat on the way back to the dorm after our last performance for the night. The past few days have been excruciatingly tough, but at least they are over. And tomorrow, tomorrow is finally practically free. And we will be able to talk, at last.