Chapter Twenty-Four

Spectrum {[Apply Closed]}

Without the boys realizing, the time preparing for their debut came and went – they had already recorded their album and their music video – it had been decided that they would be promoting with “U Hoo Hoo” which had been decided on as their debut single, they were also to promote with the song “Romantically” to give them more time on stage – both songs had barely existing songs, which were far easier than the ones they had been practicing prior to debut preparations. The barely existing dance was understandable due to the songs being slower paced.

Anyway, with their music videos recorded and with the choreographer and vocal coach’s clearance, the boys were preparing for their debut show case – it was something small, predicted to be an hour at most. Any who, in a matter of days the teasers, music videos, and their mini album was released and the boys found themselves rehearsing at their showcase location, not putting too much thought into what was to come and only focusing on singing the right words at the right part and if they had a dance – doing it right.

Hours later that night, the boys sat in the dressing room as the stylists dressed them up – getting their hair and makeup ready for the performance that was to come in just a half an hour and as they sat there the nerves were finally getting to the boys. Jhun kept getting scolded by the stylist who was doing his make up since he was making it difficult for her as he chewed on his bottom lip – something the other members hadn’t seen the oldest do too often. Shin wasn’t really showing any affect from the nerves, the same with Sora – who kept singing his parts in the songs over and over again – making sure they were right. Xue was staring in the leaders direction as he spaced out – waiting for the showcase to start. As for Minhyun and Woo Jung, they weren’t showing any sign of being nervous – however, you could hear it in their speech: Minhyun was stuttering and Woo Jung sounded as if he was angry as he responded abnormally loud to the older male, their conversation making the leader ever so more nervous as he turned to look in the mirror.

“Boys, we have a couple of guests for you all!” called Hyun Soo, pushing open the door to the dressing room – ushering the group of people outside into the buzzing room. Automatically, the boys calmed down a bit – seeing their families entering the room.

 

“Soojung, how did you get here?” questioned Woojung – terrified that his sister had come by herself like she had with the previous showcase, the one for the final audition.

“Bo Young-ahjumma invited me to come with her and Soohyun-unnie and Yoohyun-unnie,” stated Soojung, peering at her older brother, “Oppa, you aren’t angry are you?”

Woo Jung shook his head at the sad, pouty expression he saw on his sister’s face, he lightly ruffled the eight year old’s hair, smiling at her, “Don’t worry Soo, I’m not angry. I’m happy you could be here.”

Soo Jung smiled innocently before adding, “To be honest though, I didn’t come with Bo Young-ahjumma, she just brought me back stage – I actually came with Kyungah, Yoomi, and Minhee. It was Minhee mom’s turn to take us out and seeing as how the other three were so excited about your guys’ debut since their biases made it into the group – she brought us here.”

Woo Jung hummed before asking, “Where do they think you are?”

“Well, when we arrived and took our seats, I found it was right beside Bo Young-ahjumma, Soohyun-unnie, and Yoohyun-unnie’s seats. Bo Young talked to Minhee’s mom and explained to her that she was a ‘friend of my mother’…”

“Soo,” stated Woo Jung.

Soojung looked down at her hands, which were playing with the fabric of her dress, “They think I’m at the bathroom so I can’t stay here too long – or else they’ll think that Bo Young-ahjumma kidnapped me.”

Woo Jung chuckled at his little sisters explanation, pulling the younger in for a hug – he wrapped his arms around the girl’s waist, pulling her close, “I’m happy you are here Soo, even if it’s for a little bit.”

Soo Jung spoke some encouraging words to her oppa before Bo Young took the little girl back to her seat and her friends, so that they wouldn’t worry about her being abducted. Woo Jung watched Soo Jung until she disappeared into the hall – once the girl was gone, he looked around the room watching the other members talk happily with their family’s – well, in Min Hyun’s case, not so happy.

His eyes scanned the familiar faces of the other members’ families, only pausing as he came to a few unfamiliar faces – one being the older male standing beside the leader and the others by Sora, who he found himself looking at more and more as the time ticked on. The old man beside Jhun was dressed in a designer suit – he was obviously some rich, businessman which would be the description that fit the oldest male’s father – who had been talked about very little due to Jhun, never actually touching the subject of his family when that subject came about in the dorms – especially after the one little camping trip where they all told their own little stories and the eldest had blown up. The other four unfamiliar people were surrounding Sora, who was talking rapid Japanese – talking too fast for Woo Jung to catch what he was saying with the basic Japanese he knew due to the company’s lessons.

 

“Ah, look at our little Min, or should I say man?” questioned Soohyun, patting her dongseang’s cheeks, “Umma still wants you to bring home one nice boy – you should bring one of your group mates, surely you’ve come to like them right?” The lawyer cast a glance around the room – peering at each and every one of the boys that sat in the room, “That one is obviously too young, that one is too outgoing…That one looks more like an older brother type…”

Min Hyun stared at his noona silently – already used to her craziness, especially when it came to her time of the month.

“Hmm…Maybe it could be Woo Jung.”

Min Hyun stared at his noona emotionlessly, “Noona, there really is something wrong with your head.”

“So it couldn’t be Woo Jungie?” stated Soohyun, “I thought it could be him – then again it could be that leader of yours, Younghun, right? I don’t know your band mates too well. You’ll have to introduce me to him some time.”

“Noona.”

“Why do people younger than me keep debuting in the industry?” pouted the older woman, “I just want an attractive idol my age. Hmm, but that’s not the point right now…” stated the woman, before finally casting her attention back on her younger brother, “So, are any of your group mates gay?”

“Woo Jung,” stated Minhyun.

“What about the others? Don’t tell me you’ve been living with all these attractive males and don’t know if they’re gay or not!”

“I think Sora’s bi,” stated Minhyun, “I think Shin is as well.”

“Hmm, what about the other two?”

Minhyun shrugged.

“Minhyun, you need to be more sociable – stop being so, so – You.”

“You act like that’s a bad thing.”

“It is!” stated Soohyun, frowning at her precious younger brother, “You deserve someone nice and need to stop toying with others’ feelings because one day it is going to come back and kick you in the ! Stop being so afraid scared of commitment! Stop being afraid of rejection and go after someone already – Umma and I want you to have someone nice already…”

“Noona, this isn’t the time nor the place to be talking about this,” stated Minhyun, the arrogant air appearing around him again as if someone had flicked on a switch.

“So, oppa,” stated Yoohyun, smirking towards her older brother, “I watched your guys’ show, you seem to enjoy flirting with your members – isn’t that right?”

Minhyun groaned, he would have much rather preferred his older sister’s annoying questions over listening to his younger sister speaking to him.

 

Xue smiled happily, hugging both his mother and his father – his siblings had been left with a well-trusted baby sitter so that they could attend his performance. He happily hugged his parents, smiling widely – the widest any of the other Spectrum members had ever seen him smile.

“You’ve finally reached your debut, congratulations son!” stated Xue’s father, hugging his son, “how have you been?  Have your group mates been treating you well?”

Xue smiled and nodded, “Shin and Younghun-hyungnim have made sure that I’m well cared for – Shin as a good hyung and Jhun as a leader.”

The boys’ father smiled happily hearing his son’s words, “I’m going to have to thank those two hyungs of yours for taking good care of you then – you’re my precious first born after all, plus, you’re achieving the dream I always dreamt of achieving when I was your age all those years ago.”

Xue smiled before turning his attention towards his mother, who had wrapped her arms tightly around his shoulders – taking him into a bone crushing hug. She happily examined her son, “I’m so proud of you, you know that right, Ha Joon?”

The male smiled happily, nodding, “I know eomma, abeoji – you’ve both told me that countless times before. I know you’re proud of me.”

“Well, we’re making it known,” stated the boy’s father, hugging his son close – pressing a chaste kiss to his son’s forehead, before allowing his wide to do the same.

 

Shin smiled as his mother approached him, there was a proud glint in her eye as she saw her son dressed handsomely in his stage outfit and the makeup covering up what those in the industry thought were flaws – as she moved forward, it allowed him to see that his younger brother was there as well. Shin smiled and automatically stood up to greet them. He hugged his mother before turning towards his brother and hugging him as well.

“I finally get to see you debut!” chimed Shin’s mother cheerfully, as she pulled away from her son’s hold, her hands resting on his shoulder and eyes tracing up and down his form, “You lost weight haven’t you? Well, you’ve gotten thinner at least.”

Shin nodded, “It’s because of the diet and what used to be intense dance practices.”

His mother hummed, “You still look healthy though, so that’s all that matters.”

Her broad smile brought Shin to hug her again, “Your father would’ve been proud to see you like this.”

Shin smiled half-heartedly, shifting uncomfortably on his feet – his eyes looking everywhere but at his mother due to her bringing up his father.

“I’m sorry I brought him up,” whispered Shin’s mother, hugging her son, “but, you know he would’ve been proud of you.”

Shin nodded.

“Hyung, I’d be careful of what you’re doing – from what it looks like, the stylists will yell at you for messing up the makeup,” Stated Min Ho, making Shin chuckle.

 “Let them be angry,” responded Shin, causing his younger brother laugh as he pulled his mother away from his brother so that he could give him a chaste hug.

“Congratulations on the debut hyung,” stated Minho happily hugging his hyung again before stepping back and joining into the conversation going on between his mother and brother.

 

As soon as he saw his family, Sora smiled, happily running to them and hugging them – hugging both his mother and father really close, he could not even tell you when the last time he saw the both of them together was. He was so happy, hugging them both happily before turning his attention to his two siblings.

“Yamato, I didn’t think you’d be able to come!” stated Sora, “From what you made it sound like in your previous phone call you wouldn’t be able to come – you had me all upset.”

Yamato smiled, “It was a good surprise, was it not?”

Sora smiled and nodded, not able to deny that fact.

“Hyung, you had me worried though,” stated Sora, pouting slightly and making the older male feel slightly guilty.

“Well, don’t be anymore, since I am here,” stated Yamato, winking playfully.

Sora laughed and hugged his hyung yet again before turning his attention towards his younger sister, almost automatically – Min Jee was in his arms, hugging him tightly.

“Congratulations on the debut,” stated Min Jee, “I finally get to see you performing on stage – I was upset that we weren’t allowed to come to see your final audition.” Min Jee casted a weak glare towards her parents before turning her attention back towards her older brother, “Anyhow, we’re here now and I get to see you perform – so do well.”

Sora laughed, not mentioning about how that sentence had added onto the nerves that were slowly bubbling up in his stomach as their performance crept closer.

“Minjee, that isn’t something to say to your brother,” scolded Sora’s mother, “He’s probably feeling nervous already and you’re probably just adding onto his nerves and I don’t think that he appreciates it much.”

Sora smiled, “It’s alright mom.”

“No it’s not,” stated his mother, “Also, don’t be so nervous, you’ll do well – you’ve practiced for this for months and you’ve been trained for this for five years. You’re going to do well.”

Sora smiled, feeling a little bit more relaxed after hearing his mother’s encouraging words. He smiled and hugged his mother again, just happy that she had actually been able to come – the same for his father, who he smiled at from over his mother’s shoulder.

 

Younghun smiled happily as he saw his noona walking towards him, the smile faltered slightly when he saw the person walking behind her though, “Abeoji.”

“I told you that I’d come, didn’t I?” questioned the old man, hugging his son – who hugged him back weakly. The male eyed his son, “Are you doing well?”

Younghun nodded knowing exactly his father was talking about, not responding verbally because he didn’t want his group mates or anyone else to overhear the conversation and the thing that he wanted to keep a secret away from everyone.

“I’m sure your mother would be happy to see you like this,” muttered the oldest’s father, patting his song on the back, “She really supported your dream – she really wanted you to chase it, but she was worried that our sweet son would change due to the harsh words that naturally came out of people in this industry. She would be relieved to know that it hasn’t changed you one bit and if anything made you stronger.”

Younghun smiled sadly at the thought of his mother, however, the weak smile faded as he heard his father’s words.

“I’m glad I could come see you perform at least once,” the old male smiled weakly – coughing into the cuff of his jacket. Younghun peered at the man with worry.

He had obviously gotten worse since the last time he had seen him – the man was rather unnaturally skinny and his skin was kind of swallow – his eyes seemed to have sunken in.

“Abeoji, have a seat,” stated Younghun, standing up and ushering his father to the seat, which the man took willingly, thanking his son.

“It’s really how amazing how much you’ve grown in such a short amount of time,” muttered his father, “Not physically but as a person – the fourteen year old boy from my memory is no longer there. His rebellious personality is no longer showing, the one thing that hasn’t changed is your drive to chasing your dreams. You chased your dreams despite your mother and I discouraging you – however look at where you are now.”

Younghun smiled, looking around the dressing room with his father, they both smiled at each other.

“I feel bad about not being there with you through all this,” whispered the man, grabbing ahold of his son’s hand happily and squeezing it, “After all the crap you went through in your childhood – all the nasty words that we directed at you. I was afraid of you not being able to make it in the industry.” The man smiled at his son, “I guess I was wrong, not only with that but the idea of me thinking that you’re not good enough for the industry. If anything, the hate you got in school helped you become stronger – helped you get a thicker skin for your entrance into the industry.”

Younghun squeezed his father’s hand tightly.

“I never imagined you being the leader,” muttered the man, “You were always such a little baby when you were younger – always complaining, always. Then again, that’s because of your noona – but still you’ve matured a lot, you went from putting barely any effort into anything into putting all your effort into everything you do. I can tell that you really care about these boys – despite how much you claim some of them annoy you.”

Younghun laughed half-heartedly as his father patted his hand.

“You’ll do fine,” stated the man, “Not only tonight but in this industry, you’ll lead them well. Plus, from what it looks like you all have developed a bond with each other – although you all don’t get along with each other all the time, you all have a bond that binds you together, that’ll lead you all to supporting each other when you need the support the most.”

Younghun smiled at his father’s words, however frowned as Hyun Soo stepped into the room, alerting the relatives that they should return to their seats since the showcase was set to start soon.

Without much complaints, the families bid their sons/brothers goodbye and moved  out of the room – the families promising that they would be back to see them after the hopefully successful performance. As soon as the families were gone, the stylists did a final check on their outfits, hair, and make up.  As soon as it was decided that they were ready, the managers ushered them to the back stage area as the lights in the theater flicked off and a VCR came on – causing the room to be filled with the screams of what fans were there. Even though there weren’t as many as they wished, the cheers still made them really nervous, however, the little speech from Younghun managed to calm them all down enough to perform a successful showcase.

Now the only thing in their worries were none other than their debuts on the music shows, just how well would those go?

 

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I also hope I got the characterization right for the character's family members. 

Also, would you all mind if I skipped to the end of their debut promotions after the next chapter?