District Ten

The Games

Turning, I went after the boy from Ten who was sprinting for the woods, dropping the bags as I ran. I was faster adn bowled him over from the side befor ehe could reach the woods. THrowing all of my weight onto him, I sat on his stomach and raised the axe, ready to bring it down on his neck. Right as it was nearing his throat, he grabbed my wrist and flipped us over so he was hovering over me, pushing the axe down towards my throat. It took all of my strength to keep my own blade from coming down on me. We were wrestling with the axe but he was winning, he blade slowly getting closer and closer to me.

I let out a grunt as I pushed the blade to the side so it cut into my shoulder instead of a fatal spot. His weight was crushing my small frame, making it harder to breathe. I slowly got my feet under his stomach and pushed him off of me. I stumbled to a standing position.

From my pereferal vision, I could see Kai coming my way.

I glared at the larger male in front of me. "You killed Vera."

"She deserved it after all, you're all murderers," he growled back, using you as a reference to the Careers and I.

I stayed silent as we began to slowly circle each other. He had no weapon, only his massive size and brute force going for him, I think that I have the advantage here.

"Why do you stay with those monsters?"

"None of your business!" I yelled.

I charged at him, swinging the axe in a nasty right hook like I did to the male from Nine that had killed Caleb. But this time he caught my wrist and held a tight grip onit, twisting it in a painful position.

I let out a pained squeak as eh twisted my wrist so I went onto one knee. His grip made me drop the axe I held in the hand he was twisting, me unable to hold onto it any longer. He reached for it, thinking that he could aquire my weapon for himself. On the last second, I slid the dagger out of my belt with my free hand and slashed at his hand, but he was too fast, jerking back before the knife could get there.

Another pained whimper escaped from between my lips as he pushed me closer to the ground. I looked back at the same time as the boy from Ten to see Kai less than 15 feet from us and gaining fast. I looked at the boy only to see a fist aiming for my face. My eyes widened and I jerked to the side, his fist just catching me across the chin and splitting my lip open. my head whipping to the side.

He was gone, taking off for the woods as I was recovering for the blow. Kai was barely five feet from me when he had already disappeared into the trees. "Get back here, Ten! I'm not done with you!"

Kai appeared at my side, grabbing my arm and jerking me up into a standing position. Once I was on my feet again, I wiped the blood from my lips with the back of my left hand. My eyes were filled with rage as I stuffed the dagger back into my belt and grabbed my axe. I rubbed my wrist, angry red marks scarring the skin from the crushing grip that the boy had had on my wrist. I tore a piece of my under shirt off and took off my jacked that was stained with blood. I wrapped the piece around my wound, wincing and then pulling my jacket back on, Kai helping.

Kai grabbed the bags marked 2 and 7 that I had dropped and then came to stand my me again. We had left our other bags at the campsite and they were practically useless since there was nothing in them. Before we were ready to go, Kai checked the bags. His held some bread and a potato and mine had three full bottles of water, already purified.

"Ready?" Kai looked down on me, bright brown eyes staring into my golden ones. For a second, I was captivated by the beauty of him, tall, handsome, muscular, but arrogant as hell. He was a masterpiece living on earth, people staring at him in awe.

I nodded and we started off, following the boy from District Ten into the darkening woods. Not long after, the anthem of the Capitol played and Vera's face was projected into the sky along with her District number. Kai stared up into the sky long after it was gone, he no longer had a District partner, there wasn't two of them that could go home together anymore. I hesitated before I stepped forward, placing my hands on his shoulders and resting my head on his back. He let out a long sigh as we stood there like that for a while.

"We had better get going," he said. I let go of him and gave him a nod before we started walking again. The manhunt was still on and maybe we could run into Xia and Jacob, have a chance to take them out as well. It was so dark out that we could barely see anything anymore.

"Kai, maybe we should stop for the night, it's so dark that I can't see anything."

"Fine," he simply replied.

We found a tree and climbed it, Kai having some difficulty so he settled on one of the lower branches. My shoulder was painful so I settled on one higher up and diagonally to his left. I let the worries of the arena slip away as sleep claimed my mind.