The Stadium

The Games

I was out of it as we reached the Capitol and were introduced to stylist and had dinner at an enormous table with the most food I had seen in my entire life. That night I couldn't sleep, the images of the male tribute from 2 glued to my thoughts. Everything had gone by so fast and in a few hours we were to be introduced to the world in our chariots pulled by horses and dressed in rediculous costums. Usually my district were dressed up like trees or lumber jacks, but this year our stylists had different ideas.

We were wearing our costumes hours later. A wreath of fresh green leaves sat on top of Caleb and I's heads and we were dressed in tight clothing that had earthy tones in it and were dotted with leaves. We wore heavy brown boots and a utility belt like what a lumber jack would wear. There were also red berries clipped into our hair. We were supposed to be "one with nature" for representing the lumber district.

We joined the other tributes readying for when the chariots would take off into the stadium. People were staring at us as we boarded the black chariots, obviously we were different from the trees of earlier years. A lagre male ran past me as I was getting in, shoving me to the side.

"HEY!" I yelled after him.

He stopped and turned and I realized that he was from District 9. "The keep out of my way."

I should have dropped it but I had pride and sometimes that got in the way of my thinking. "Watch it 9!"

He glared and started stalking towards me. "What did you say?"

"Are you deaf, I said to watch it. You got a problem?"

"Yeah, and It's you."

"So sorry to upset you, King Bipolar," I said sarcasitcally.

Now all attention was on us, most talk had turned silent to watch us get angrier, begging for a fight to break out.

"You're just asking for it."

"Yeah? Bring it 9."

"Shut up, shrimp."

Shrimp?! That set me off, nobody called me that, nobody. I stalked towards him and he was coming at me. By the time I was half way and closing ground, I was next to District 8's chariot. I had my fist raised and the air was thick with anticipation of our fight.

Right before I could take a swing at him, an arm grabbed me around my waist and jerked me back fast enough to where I barely missed his square jaw. I grunted and the male seemed surprised at how fast I had closed the ground between us, suddenly being in front of him. I looked back to my mentor Nadia who had me by my slender waist and then back to the District 9 male who was being pushed back and yelled at by what looked like his mentor.

"Chill out Maya, you don't want the Peacekeepers to spot you in a fight," she whispered in my ear as we turned to go back to the chariot that would carry me in front of thousands of people for show. People would make bets on who would win the games, who would survive the bloodbath. It was sickening that they thought of this as entertainment.

"You had better watch yourself, 7, I'm coming after you!"

I froze and turned back slowly and when I was facing him I flashed the evilest smile his way. The smirk on his face vanished and was replaced with a small glare that was in no comparison with the look that I gave him earlier.

"If you say so."

I turned back to the chariot with a triumphant smirk and boarded it. Then I looked up to meet the eyes of a few Careers, specifically Kai, his partner, and the male from One. Kai had a smirk while the girl had a half glare half evil look on her face. Kai seemed to size me up as he turned back to the doors which were opening for District One.

"Here they come now!" Sirus, the commentator yelled.

We were jerked forward as our chariot with horses trotted into the stadium, heading towards the opposite end. I smiled and waved cutely, now was the time to start for sponsors.

"Wow, District 7 certainly had a new appearance this year and aren't they just looking fabulous?!"

The cheers got louder and I blew a kiss to the crowd, making them go crazy. Caleb and I were featured on the main screen in the stadium. Once we were half way to the front of the stadium, screams of joy were heard from the crowd. I glanced back to see that District 12 was wearing all black tight clothing while some fire blaster was placed into the palms of their hands, making it seem like they were holding fire themselves. Turning back to the front, I calmed my nerves as our chariot pulled in line with the others in front of where President Quinn would make his short statement.

"And look at Twelve! Those flames are stunning, certainly a different style! Oh, fabulous, just fabulous! They certainly are making a lasting impression on everyone!"

The crowd quieted as the president stepped onto the podium high above the tributes and cleared his throat.

"And here is the president about to deliver his statement," said Sirus quietly.

President Quinn took a few moments until everybody's full attention was on him before beginning.

"Welcome to the 92nd annual Games! I wish all of you tributes luck, may your district be proud. Happy Games and may the best tribute win!" He finished, raising his arms to the crowds who broke into cheers as they stood from their seats. I looked around to the sheer joy these people had for The Games, it was sickening that they enjoyed seeing us die in a few days.