Death Count

The Games

I ran for what seemed like forever until I was sure that I was far enough to stop running. Panting, I sat at the base of a tree and dared to investigate the contents of the little brown bag. There was beef jerkey, an empty water bottle, a very small packet of iodine that was good for purifying a bottle or two, a bread roll, and a small square of clear, flimsy plastic. Putting things away, I decided that I needed to find a water source adn clean off the blood that was drien onto my body. The blood didn't even belong to me...

Eleven cannons, two had been killed by me. Almost half of the tributes were dead. Already half.... I will look for their pictures in the sky tonight when the seal of the Capitol shows itself.

It had been three hours so far and no luck wtih finding a water source.Instead of looking any further I climb a large tree and settle myself in a sturdy fork.

Nightfall was soon and there was no way that I was going to risk staying on the ground.

 

Some time later there were footsteps and a conversation coming closer to the tree that I sat in. I crouched as still as I couldon the branch, hoping that the relative darkness would some what camoflauge me. The voices were getting closer and closer, th en they broke out into laughter right as they passed under the tree that I was crouched in. It was the Career group.

The tallest and bulkiest of the group turned and looked up, spotting me. Dark brown eyes met my piercing golden gaze as I stayed frozen in place. But Kai kept walking, like I wasn't here, like he wasn't staring straight into my eyes.

"Kai Oppa, what's wrong?" Asks Rachel from One who was clinging onto his arm.

"Nothing," he replies, turning his gaze away from me.

A small rustle and a flash of black later and I was gone into another tree. Rachel follows where Kai's gaze was seconds ago, to where I was perched just a moment ago. If I hadn't moved, she would have surely spotted me and alerted the others.

A minute later and they were out of sight. Letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding, I settled back into the fork of the tree. Why hadn't Kai come after me? Why hadn't he told the other Careers of my prescense? These questions ran through my head over and over but I had plenty of time to think thngs over later, right now I needed some rest,

 

It must have been another hour when suddenly there was a distant scream and the boom of a cannon sounded shortly after. The scream had startled me to alertness once again and I was on full watch. Twelve dead in the first eight hours and I am still alive.

Minutes later, the anthem plays and there is theCaptol's seal in the sky following the faces of the dead tributes. None of the Careers had died with the acception of that in District 4 the male had been killed. When Caleb's face was lit in the sky I closed my eyes, sending up a silent prayer that he was in a better place then this.

The seal disappeared, plunging the arena in darkness except from the light of the artificial stars and moon. my fingers, I used the light to scrub as much blood as I could from my hands and face. Both my axe and dagger were covered in dark crimsom, they were once shiny but now each had taken someone's life. I had killed two innocent teens today. I knew that it was kill or be killed but I couldn't stop the wave of guilt and hatred for myself that washed over me. Now I was a murderer....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for not having updated in a while, I was so busy. I hope you can forgeve me and I will try to get out more chapters sooner ^^