Chapter Six

Unluckily Stuck With You

Chapter Six

 

I wonder … if you could take back every ‘I love you’ you ever said to me, would you do it?

 

Jongin’s POV

 

Jaseondang – Crown Prince’s Quarter

“I love you”

I froze at what she mentioned. I wanted to believe her so bad. I wanted to. But I know this is just a trick. All she wanted was to destroy my father. She didn’t mean it but …I wanted to believe her words.

I leaned in, closed my eyes, and kissed her. I felt her froze at the moment but after a minute or two, I felt something else.

Tears.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled softly and wiped her tears. After that, what felt like something she was holding for a long time began showing. She cried- no- she sob- She burst into tears unable to control its pouring. This is my Jayeong. My wife I met smiling and showing emotions. The life in the palace must have been hard for her. All because of me…she did not deserve any of this.

“I’m a bad husband right?” She nodded and I smiled faintly. I hugged her to calm her down and we stayed silent for a while. “You look like a child whose candy was taken” She smiled and I can’t help but find her cute I leaned in to peck her lips this time.

Our eyes met and I was not expecting anything but she looked at my lips shortly and placed a peck afterward. I took all the courage I have and kissed her passionately, and…

one thing led to another.

----

I woke up with her next to me and smiled, “Why can’t we be like this always?”

“Why do you spend your nights with concubines?” She suddenly said with her eyes still closed.

She’s awake? Did she see me staring at her- “I-” I covered myself, surprised and clueless of what to respond.

“Your highness- would it be alright if you step for a while. I want to change.” She sit up and covered herself as well while trying to avoid my eyes

“Your highness?” My brow raised and I smirked before mumbling, “as if I was not able to see any of you yet”

“Your highness!” She exclaimed.

“Why are you being shy?” My smile becoming wider.

“Your highness” She exclaimed once more.

“Why so formal? You were screaming my name again and again last night” I winked playfully.

“Kim Jongin”  Her face turning red.

“That’s right. Say it again” I nodded and winked playfully again.

“Yah!” She stood up, all covered, trying to assert dominance this time.

“I was just teasing you.” I went behind her and hugged her back, resting my chin on her shoulder. “Let’s read Western Books at the library”

 

----

And we did go to the library that day … and the next day and the day after, and so many more days after. This is the last place everyone will think I’ll be. But here I am. Happy. Satisfied.

“Jongin?” she called softly.

“Yes, my bu-in?” My wife? How cringey? I know. Where is the cool Jongin? But she smiled and cool is no longer in my dictionary.

She looked away and mumbled, “You haven’t responded to my request”

“Look behind you” She turned around and saw my gift. It was a book. A rare book she wanted. The book her father used to read to her back then.

“How did you get a hold of this?” She smiled widely.

“Disguised myself as a commoner. Chanyeol brought me to a shop where we found that. But more than that…open it” She read the document carefully,

“This is-” I nodded.

“An official document declaring myself taking over the kingdom.” I smiled and added, “with you by my side”

“I-” She was speechless.

 “Mian- It took me a while convincing some of the counsel” She did not say anything but hugged me tight. This feels right.

---

“I hereby declare Kim Jong In’s assumption of direct rule and the retirement of the great archduke, the current regent of Joseon, Heungseon Daewongun” the high counsel leader announced reading the document in front of the whole counsel and public.

“How could you-” My father was about to lay his hand on Jayeong but I stepped up. She did try to explain. However, she suddenly fainted. I saw my father smiled but I had no time to deal with him. I rushed to her side and caught her on time. I brought her to the nearest quarters and called the palace doctor.

“My liege…Her excellency is with child”

 

--

It’s been years but why not haha? \o/