Jung Hoseok

Good Day

She loved maths. She always had been the best at maths. She had an incredible sense of logic so she could resolve any problems, no matter how much time it took. But there was that UNIQUE problem she could never understand. And this matter was called Jung Hoseok.

And he appeared to be in front of her, without even looking at her. Even if this scenario happened all the time, she always ended upset. They saw each other every day, so why did he always have to ignore her?

He took a bottle of water in the fridge while talking on the phone. She leaned against the doorframe, trying to gain his attention. Their eyes met for a second, and she lost her confidence during that time. His glare was icy and dark. He broke the contact by answering at his phone. "Yeah, tell the others the meeting is in one hour."

Then he left the kitchen, without a glance towards her. She swallowed, feeling her heart sink.

Jung Hoseok was the only problem she couldn't resolve.


---


She always watched how the boy interacted with other people. He was always smiling, so happy, so optimistic. He always had so many friends, boys or girls- she lost the count. And he was one of the most popular guy in the university because of his good looks but mostly because he was nice and caring to everyone. He always willing to help people, and he was the first lifting the mood.

She often saw him in the hallways. He was never alone, ever. But he never landed his eyes on her. Everytime she tried to talk to him, he would only avoid her eyes and answer briefly. He never had time for her, he never searched for her. So she began to wonder if he had any problem with her. He was always cold towards her, meanwhile he was an angel with others. Did she do something bad? She asked herself this question everyday. They really had a problem with each other.


---


She had to do this. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a second. She was currently leaning against the boy's locker, waiting for him. He quickly arrived, but didn't (or didn't want to) see her. So she called out for him. "Hoseok."

He looked up at her, something darkening in his eyes. She didn't even try to smile. She stopped making efforts a long time ago.

"What do you want?" he asked. "The teacher told me to give you this." She handed him some paper. "She said you will understand."

He relunctantly took the papers, being careful to not get close from her hand. Then he opened his locker, putting the papers in it.

She scoffed. "No need to thank me." she said, sarcastism evident in her voice. He stayed silent and looked at her up and down. He opened his mouth but a voice stopped him. It was one of his friends who just called out for him. "Hoseok! Guys are waiting for you! Hurry up!"

Of course. She could never have just one minute alone with him. It was almost like he did this in purpose. He closed his locker and left. She let out a bitter laugh.


---


"It's too much. I can't pretend anymore. I'm tired Mum, why can't you understand?" Her mother sighed and looked at her. "Honey, please give him more time." She scoffed. "More time? It's been already three years!" Her mother simply smiled at her, not even caring. "Everything will be okay."

No, it wasn't okay, nothing was right. Hoseok was driving her crazy and anything she would do didn't change a thing.

Her parents divorced 6 years ago. She was fine with that, she loved her parents and she could understand that love between married people couldn't sometimes not last. 5 years ago, her mother told her she had someone in her life. The girl was totally fine with it. When her mother told her she was getting married, the girl was totally fine with it. When she knew she was going to have a half-brother, she was fine with that. She never had siblings, maybe it wasn't that bad.
But the problem Jung Hoseok crushed into her life. She was the only one he was being cold to. He rarely talked to her and was doing his best to avoid her even though they lived in the same house. Yes, he was her half-brother. And it was the worst thing in her life because she loved him. Not in a sibling way, no it would have been too simple. No, she really fell in love with him. She fell in love with his personality, how he was with people. Not with her, because she knew it wasn't his real self when he was with her, but she didn't know why it changed in front of her. Maybe he never wanted a sister, maybe she did something offending. She would never know.


---


One day, their parents left them for an entire week at home, considering them mature enough. For the boy it was a perfect occasion to throw a giant party. To the girl it was hell. Seven days facing Hoseok, alone, were like hell. But she didn't have the right to complain. Maybe after all it wasn't going to be that bad.


---


Or maybe not. She was sitting in on her bed, raging.

The party was a ing giant party indeed. She even asked herself how the boy knew so much people.

Both of them didn't talk to each other the whole day, except for this moment when she went downstairs, only to find Hoseok with some of his bestfriends. She avoided them because... she would always avoid them. She knew they were nice but she didn't want to talk to them. Before she entered her room, she heard something.

"What are you going to do with her?"

That was one of his friends' voice.

"I'm just going to lock her door." And that was definitely Hoseok's voice.

Was he being serious?

"You are a bit harsh..."

No kidding.

"After all it's your half-sister." his friend added.

"But I've never wanted that."

She froze. So that was it. He finally said it. He never wanted her as a sister.

"You know what, go yourself Jung Hoseok." she murmured. And she slapped her door as hard as she could.

But he really locked her inside her own room. Like an idiot, she didn't see it coming. She only heard the sound of the key. She jumped and tried to turn the doorknob, in vain.

"JUNG HOSEOK YOU ING BASTARD!" she roared.

She only face the silence. She screamed out of rage and threw a book at the closed door. How could he dare...?!


---


Of course she couldn't sleep. The music was too loud and there were screams, laughters and everything was too loud. She whined and sat on her bed. She put her blanket around her and tried to guess what was going on downstairs. Maybe Hoseok was talking to a girl, maybe flirting. Maybe kissing her, and maybe dragging her into a bedroom. We were in the 21th century for God's sake, so of course things could went that far.

She let out a sad laugh. If the boy didn't even want her as a sister, he would never want her in any way. Who was she kidding?


---


The morning came. She was finally sleeping soundly when the door unlocked. One hour later, she woke up. She immediately noticed her opened door. She jumped out of her bed and not caring if her hair was fine or she was still in pyjamas, she headed for the kitchen. He was always in the kitchen the whole morning. She found him and as soon as she was in front of him, she slapped him. He looked at her, shocked, hair falling on his eyes.

"Are you crazy?!"

"You ing locked me in my own room and you are still asking that?!"

"I... I don't..."

She scoffed. "What, did you suddenly become less talkative? Well, funny how it happens all the time with me. You know what? You don't even need an excuse. Were you that scared someone can see your pathetic half-sister?"

There was a second of silence.

"I never said that." he answered. He was avoiding her eyes again.

"Then what...?" her voice suddenly quieted down.

"You should dress up." he simply said. He was already doing something else to avoid any conversation.

"Answer me!" she cried out of frustation.

He continued on cleaning the table. So she grabbed his arm trying to turn him around.

But instead, it was her who found herself trapped between the table and Hoseok.

"I don't hate you okay...?" he let out in a breath.

His eyes were dark. "It's just... you can't understand."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "Then explain it to me. Because it's been already three years from now I'm fed up with your bull. Do I look that invisible in your eyes? Am I that awful that you even don't want me as your sister?"

He pushed himself out of his grip. "It's not like that."

She rolled her eyes. "Then what?! Why can't you for once give me a proper answer?!"

He glared at her. "Mind your own business. I don't see why I should answer to you."

"Maybe because we live in the same house, because our parents are married, because we live together for almost three years. I see many reasons why you should answer to me." she said. She said everything, it became urgent.

The boy bit his lip, then sighed. "Come here." he asked, suddenly opening his arms.

She wrinkled her nose, wondering if the boy in front of her wasn't suffering the side effects of a possible hangover.

"What--"

He didn't let her finish and closed his arms around her body.

She froze. She didn't know at what he was playing but she--

"I'm sorry." His breath tickled her ear. "I really don't hate you, but it's complicated. I'm not still accepting the fact my parents divorced, and I've never asked for a sudden sister. So I'm sorry for everything you have to endure because of me."

He put a hand on her hair, placing her head in his chest.

She honestly lost her words and forgot every resentful feeling for the time she was in his arms. It was the first time her heart beated like crazy.

He finally let her go, leaving her speechless. He left the kitchen without a word. Was it a dream?


---


The next day was more weird. She had school. Hoseok was no where to be seen in the morning, so she supposed he already left the house and went out somewhere with his friends. She was kind of relieved, to be honest. She didn't want to face him, because she knew she will be upset. One hug didn't mean he changed his mind about her, and if she had to face him now all her hope would be crushed down.

While putting on her coat, she noticed something in the table, in the hall. Something shiny, and she scoffed. It was Hoseok's keys.


---


She drabbled on her notebook. She was bored. She was in biology class, but the teacher was annoying as hell. So instead, she drew some calligraphic letters in the corners.

The teacher suddenly talked about school homeworks. He talked about some project. He then designed pairings. She was assigned with a guy whom she talked at least three times during the whole year. Well... he was a good student, so she wouldn't have to much trouble working with him.

At the end of the class, this guy came to her, smiling and asking her when she wanted to begin.

"Soon the better" she sighed.

"Classes are finished. Do you want to go to the library?" he proposed.

She bit her lip, embarassed while suddenly remembered something. "Actually... my parents aren't home for now, and I'm the only one having the keys. My... half-brother didn't bring them with him, so I'm afraid he is waiting right now. Can we come to my house today?"

The boy said it didn't bother him. So they walked together to her house. He was nice, sometimes asking her questions. But she answered with just a few words, not wanted to tell him everything on her life.

Soon they arrived to her house, and she spotted a boy leaning against the wall, hands in pockets. He turned his head to them and her heart skipped a beat.

He was so hot.

Then she snapped out of her thoughts. She was fantasizing about her HALF-brother, for God's sake. It was so wrong.

Slowly, she said to the boy who was near her. "He is already here... Well this is my half-brother."

The boy gulped. "Your brother is Jung Hoseok?!"

"...yes?"

Was he that intimidating at school? She didn't think Hoseok was really scaring. Especially with his smile.

When he finally noticed them, Hoseok frowned. "I'm waiting for almost an hour. What were you doing?" he accused.

She raised an eyebrow while taking her keys. "Well, I'm not the one who forgot his keys."

She opened the door and let the boy enter first. Hoseok eyed him. "Who is he? And what is he doing in our house?"

She had a bitter laugh. "Oh so now it's our house? I don't see why I should answer to you." she mimicked him about what he said the day before. It felt nice, maybe he will be able to understand. She entered without even looking at him.

During the whole time they had to work, she had to do all her best to not explode. A certain person decided to either call his friends, either watch tv loudly, either listen to music. In the same piece than them. And by this person she meant Jung Hoseok.

He was sitting on a couch not far away from the table. He had suddenly decided to stay in the same piece than her for more than five minutes, but only to annoy them to death. Especially her.

After a moment she let out a heavy sigh, exasperated. She closed her book loudly on purpose to get Hoseok's attention. "That's it, we're going in my room."

The boy next to her frowned. "Listen, I don't think--"

"I can't concentrate." she cut him, with a glare in direction of the couch. "It's either him or me."

"I won't move." uttered Hoseok, not even looking at them.

She pointed accusingly at him and looked at the other boy. "See?! I can't work like this. So I'm saying we find another place to work. Anywhere else but here."

She got up, but a shadow got in her way. "You are not going anywhere, princess. As for you" Hoseok turned to the boy "did you see the time? You should already go back to your house. It's not an hour for little boys to stay at other's homes."

The boy wanted to protest, but Hoseok added. "The main door is this way."

She couldn't see Hoseok's face, but something on his face convinced the boy to go. He quickly grabbed his things and his bag, turned to her and bid her goodbye. Then he finally left the house.

She waited three more seconds then yelled. "What was that for?! Are you out of your mind?"

"I can ask you the same thing. A boy in your room? I'm still living in this house, I can do anything I want."

"You- What- I-" she didn't find her words.

There was something in Hoseok's eyes that made her uneasy. "We are not related by nothing, so you have no right to interfere into my life." she said coldly.

She couldn't understand him. One day he told her he didn't hate her, and the day after he annoyed her to death. What was wrong with him?

He blinked. "Say... say it again."

"What?" He took a step forward. "Say it again."

"You have no right to interfere into my life?" He shook his head. "Just before."

She frowned. "We... are not related?" This time he seemed satisfied. "You agreed to it yourself. So can I do something?"

"What are you talking about--"

He put a hand on her lips, shutting her immediatly.

Her eyes grew wide.

"You talk too much."

She saw him leaned in, and before she could understand the situation, his lips were already replacing his hand.

When he slightly parted, he just said. "You make me crazy. I never know how to behave with you. You have to ability to make me lose confidence. I'm in love with you since so many years, and I know you like me too. I just wanted you to admit we have no links at all."

She was short of words.

"That's why I've... never really wanted you as a sister."

It seemed unreal. Was it a prank or an hidden camera? Or did he just want to play with her?

But when he brought her closer, it didn't feel like any of this. She could feel the sincerity through his eyes.

"I can't get you." she murmured.

He smirked. "You don't have to."

He kissed her again, but this time more deeply. He made her slowly move until her knees touch the armstand of the couch. His hand caressed gently her hair, and he tilted his head for more access. he put a hand on her back, and laid her down the couch, hovering on her body.

"This week won't turned as bad as I thought" she whispered, holding back a moan when he kissed her neck.

He then looked up, made a face. "Was I that bad?"

She laughed and tugged at his collar to brought him closer. "You don't want to know. By the way, why do you think I like you?"

"Mmmh... maybe the way you look at me. And if I'm doing this--"

He kissed her bare shoulder, her collarbone, then her neck.

"... you can't deny it."