Mrs Mae

Lipstick

 

Kyuhyun dropped Sungmin off at the library on his way to work. Sungmin was asked to come for an interview at 9am and she didn't mind to arrive earlier so that she could look around the library first.

"Min, so sorry I couldn't apply for leave. Just talk confidently and don't be scared okay" Kyuhyun had said before Sungmin got out of the car.

"It's okay, Kyu, don't worry about it. I'll be alright and I remembered whatever you have thought me" Sungmin smile at her husband to assure him that she was really okay to handle this alone.

"Text me after your interview?"

"Yes I will. Wish me luck!"

"Yes, good luck! Fighting!!!" Kyuhyun kissed her and hugged her tightly.

"Thank you! Bye Kyu!" Sungmin waved and got out of the car. She waved again as Kyuhyun started driving off and had waved at her. She took a deep breath and walked towards the library entrance. Sungmin noticed that the reference section of the library is open much earlier compared to the other sections. The other section opens at 9.30am.

Sungmin sat down and took the Gold Coast Bulletin to read. She has been brushing up on her English way before her wedding. Her previous performance for an English play helped as she needed to understand the words in order to play the character effectively. She could still recalled how she struggled with the English words for Hansel and Grettel, but she did extensive research work and with the help of other fellow cast members, she managed to play her role effectively.

"Are you Mrs Cho Sungmin?"

Sungmin turned her head and saw a lady was asking her, holding a file. "Yes, I am"

"Hi, Good morning! I'm Ingrid, could you come with me? The interview will be at Conference room 2"

"Thank you very much" Sungmin got up and took her bag. She walked slightly behind Ingrid and when they reached the conference room, Ingrid gestured her to take a seat. She bowed slightly and said her thanks again. She took a deep breath again and said a little prayer. 

About 5 minutes later, 2 ladies came to the room, and one of them Sungmin recognised as the lady who had asked Kyuhyun to fill up the form in the ipad. She stood up abd bowed slightly, and said "Good morning". 

"Good morning, Mrs Cho. I'm Mrs Anna Wilson from Public Affairs, and I believe we have met before, and this is Mrs Lynnete Mathew from Central Library division" 

Sungmin shook hands with both of them. Mrs Wilson gestured her to take her seat. 

"How are you today, Mrs Cho?" Mrs Wilson asked, smiling at Sungmin. 

"I'm good, thank you, just a little nervous" Sungmin smile. 

"We'll try to make you feel comfortable okay" Mrs Mathew smile. She opened Sungmin's file and started explaining to her about the working hours requirements and which days were her working days. 

Kyuhyun looked at his phone for the umpteenth time as the day crept to lunch time. His wife hasn't text him yet and he became restless. Waiting for Sungmin's text is more stressful than waiting for his program debugging result! 

His phone beep and he practically grabbed it! "Kyu, I was accepted!!" 

Kyuhyun wanted to text back "what took you so long to tell me.." but before he finished input, there's another text from his beloved wife. 

"So sorry, I couldn't text you earlier because they were showing me around and brief me on every sections. I got no chance to text you"

Kyuhyun felt relieved that he didn't send the earlier text! "Congratulations wifey!!! I'm so happy for you!! When do you need to start work?"

"This coming Wednesday! So fast!"

"Ohh wow, yeah that's fast! Okay Min, you just wait at the library? I come and fetch you and we can go lunch together"

"Okay Kyu, see you soon". Sungmin clicked sent and sat at the library foyer to wait for her husband. She was happy to get a job, eventhough it was only 3 days per week, at least she would not be idle at home. She texted Sungjin to tell him the good news as well, and received a thumbs up from him. 

Halfway through their lunch, Kyuhyun received a text from Mrs Mae asking him if it would be okay to visit his home tonight. "Tonight?" Kyuhyun said loudly. 

"What's wrong?" Sungmin looked up. 

Kyuhyun told her about the lady tourist from Busan who's daughter was enrolling into the university here. "As a fellow Koreans, I politely invited her and her family to come over, but I didn't expect her to come tonight" 

"Ohh, it should be okay Kyu, I can do bibimbap. I just need to cook rice. Hmmm maybe if I have the time, I make jelly for dessert".

"But I'm not sure if I can come home early to help you. I have a meeting at 5pm, and surely drag till  after 6pm. By the time I reached home, it's after 7pm.

"I can manage, don't worry". 

"Sorry, Min, I should told her that we are only available during weekends" 

"Maybe because they are flying back" 

"Ahh yes, maybe" 

Mrs Mae, her husband and her daughter arrived when Sungmin was just putting in her jelly in her fridge and Kyuhyun wasn't home yet. When Sungmin opened her door, Mrs Mae introduced herself and asked for Kyuhyun, and Sungmin told her that she was Kyuhyun's wife, and invited them in. 

She gestured them to sit and said "Kyu should be on his way back soon".  She served them hot Australian Bushells tea and some cookies that she bake previously. 

Mr Mae congratulated her on their wedding and Sungmin in turned, congratulated the daughter, Elaine, for enrolling into the university. 

"I was thinking if Elaine could come and visit you two and get Kyuhyun to teach her some school things..." Mrs Mane said. 

"Ohh omma, I wouldn't have time, and it's quite a distance to travel here..." Elaine told her mother. 

"Nonsense, you sure have some time. When Kyuhyun is back, I introduce you to him" Mrs Mae told the daughter. 

Sungmin felt weird. Shouldn't she, Kyuhyun's wife, be the one introducing her husband to Elaine? Anyway, they continued talking about Busan and when they would be flying off, and how long would Sungmin be here in Gold Coast. They were still talking when Kyuhyun finally reached home. 

As usual, Sungmin hugged him and Kyuhyun kissed her at their front door. Mrs Mae saw that and was jealous that Kyuhyun loved his wife so much. It would be difficult for her to push her daughter to Kyuhyun! 

Kyuhyun apologised to them for reaching home late, and while he talked to them, Sungmin excused herself to get dinner ready. 

Sungmin noticed that Mrs Mae kept pushing her daughter to get to know Kyuhyun better and to seek his help in her studies, eventhough Elaine said she might not be able to leave her hostel easily.  Sungmin suspected Mrs Mae has an agenda, but Sungmin dismissed it because it seemed ridiculous since Kyuhyun is already married. 

Sungmin invited them to their dining table and Mr Mae was delighted to eat Korean food. Kyuhyun gestured Sungmin to sit while he helped to pour drinks for everybody. 

Kyuhyun even helped his wife to mix her bibimbap and passed it back to her once he had mixed it. It was all natural to him because he adored his wife. Mrs Mae saw that and felt jealous again. 

So Mrs Mae did not given up hope "We are going to send Elaine for her matriculation on Wednesday. Do you want to come along, Kyuhyun?" 

Kyuhyun looked up, and quickly apologised "Ohh I'm so sorry, I'm working and we just started our project, so I can't apply any leave. Anyway it's Sungmin's first day of work, so I want to fetch her in the evening. Do accept my apology" 

"Ohh it's okay, Kyuhyun, don't worry about it" Mr Mae said, not knowing his wife's real intention. 

Sungmin looked at Mrs Mae and noticed her disappointed face. Seriously? It seemed that this woman wanted to match her daughter with Kyuhyun. Sungmin could read people's expression very clearly as she is a trained theatre actress. Mrs Mae's intention was very clear to her, but Sungmin still managed to maintain her sweet smile. 

Before their guests left, both Kyuhyun and Sungmin wished them a pleasant flight home and congratulated Elaine for her University matriculation again. They waved goodbye until their rented car was out of sight. 

After their guests have left, Kyuhyun helped Sungmin to clear the table and then went to their bedroom to take his showers. 

Later on, both of them were relaxing in front of the TV, while sharing a tub of ice cream. As usual Kyuhyun put his arm around Sungmin while his other hand was scooping the ice-cream which Sungmin was holding on her lap. She asked him "Do you realised that Mrs Mae was trying to pair you up with Elaine?" 

"Huhhh? What do you mean?" Kyuhyun scoop a spoon of ice-cream and feed Sungmin, and then scoop again for himself. 

"She thinks that you are a good catch for her daughter..." 

"Seriously?" 

"I'm good at reading facial expressions, my dear husband" 

"Why me? I mean I'm totally in love with my wife" 

"She didn't care, she tried very hard but you keep rejecting her" Sungmin giggled. 

Now Kyuhyun realised it! He was wondering why Mrs Mae kept asking him to teach her daughter. He cursed himself for being slow. "I think she's mad. She got the wrong person... I shouldn't have given her my name card or invited her to our house" 

"I don't blame you, coz I will do the same too if I meet fellow Koreans" 

"I think she's controlling her daughter too much. Even trying to find a boyfriend for her? 

"Yeah too bad, you are mine..." 

"Let's hope that we don't see them again". 

"Their daughter is here, so they might come back again to visit her. Maybe I should get pregnant so that she will give up on you since you are going to be a father".

Kyuhyun chuckled and looked at his beloved wife. "Should we try harder so that you will get pregnant, hmmm... ?" 

Sungmin giggled. Kyuhyun took the ice-cream, covered it and got up to keep it in the fridge. Sungmin washed the spoon and off the TV and lights. 

Kyuhyun scooped her up and started kissing her all the way to their bedroom. Sungmin giggled and  managed to kick their bedroom door closed...