Chapter 18

The New Pack

The confidence that Yohan gained from awakening his alpha's voice was enough for Wooseok to say that he would take a small break from the pack as a whole, going back to the states with Seungwoo to talk with their respective packs a couple years after the pack was formed. Yohan granted them permission to do so, as he prepared to make their territory public after confiding in Hangyul and Wooseok about it.

Hyeongjun and Minhee were making a name for themselves and their respective factions as they found themselves working rather well together, something that Minhee would've protested against a few years ago, when they were still a new pack.

Eunsang and Dongpyo both became the main messengers of the pack, with Dongpyo's cat form able to deliver messages discreetly while traveling with Eunsang. Junho was learning quickly how to fight, and Hangyul had taken over teaching him after Minhee deemed him ready to be facing larger opponents.

Dohyun had changed the most over the years, maturing and getting passed his "act before thinking" mindset. He was carefully guided by the older members of the pack, with Yohan including him in more and more pack decisions and officially declaring him as his second beta. He was 18 now, and just fresh out of high school as he had graduated top of his class. It wasn't long now, the others had surmised, until he would start changing. Everyone had expected him to start changing much earlier, but with everything going on in the passed couple years, they figured that Dohyun was fine with remaining human for just a little bit longer.

It was Yohan who noticed the smell first, a week before he was due to head out to Berlin with Hangyul and Dohyun. "Well, we got another feline on our hands," he said as they sat around the kitchen island discussing plans, earning a confused look from Dohyun and a chuckle from Hangyul. "Let's just hope you don't end up like Dongpyo hm?" Asked Hangyul. "Oi!" Came Dongpyo's shout from his spot in the livingroom. "I'm doing just fine as a house cat!" He said.

"Who are we meeting anyway?" Dohyun asked after getting over the shock of finding out that the usual 'shifter smell was finally coming off him. "Moonbin, Sungjin, Chan, and Kyuhyun," said Yohan. "The big alphas in Europe huh?" Asked Hangyul. "Pretty much," said Yohan. "Though, Yixing'd be there but he was needed in Toronto to discuss further plans regarding Seungwoo," he said.

"How are things going for them anyway?" Asked Hangyul. "Fine, they'll be in Berlin when we get there, so they're coming back with us," said Yohan. "Last I heard Kris was granting them one more year here," he said. "So I'd assume they'd leave within the next year or so," he said. "I can say one thing, Wooseok's finally happy," said Dohyun. "Yes, yes he is," agreed Yohan and Hangyul.

"So what's the plan in Berlin?" Asked Hangyul. "I don't want to come off as overly cocky," said Yohan. "However, we're about to face the head honchos in Europe, as Eunsang once put it," he said. "So keep an air of indifference about you, don't even flinch from their gazes," he said. "Don't try to antagonize them, we're trying to get their approval of becoming a public territory," he said.

"What are the benefits of it?" Asked Dohyun. "If they approve of us going public with the territory we'll be able to have hunters come into the area without asking us for permission," said Hangyul. "I think," he added. "It'll take a load off of our resident hunters' shoulders anyway," he said. "They would still have to let us know that they were coming but, yeah that's the gist of it," said Yohan. "And if we get declared war on, we have the backing of mostly everyone," he said. "I know they can't be there for everything, but they will try," he said.

"We already send reports to Berlin every month or so, so they already know how things are here," said Hangyul. "But having the backing of the head honchos in Europe would be nice," he said. "An alliance as you will," he said.

 

~



When they arrived in Berlin, Wooseok and Seungwoo were there to get them from the train station, Wooseok looking not as weary as before and Seungwoo showing a hint of happiness in his eyes behind his usual stoic and expressionless look. "Welcome back to Europe you two," said Yohan. "Thank you," said Wooseok. Seungwoo nodded.

"I see someone's finally starting to get the 'shifter smell," said Wooseok as he turned to Dohyun. Dohyun grinned. "I am quite nervous to see what I end up being, but we'll see what happens," he said.

"Everyone's already at the coffee shop, you're late," said Seungwoo. "How can I be late if I just arrived? Come on now," Yohan said with a scowl. "Let's go then," sand Hangyul. Yohan nodded, sighing before heading to the coffee shop with the others.

 

~



Jinhyuk grinned when he saw them enter the coffee shop. "Hey, welcome back," he said. "Yo," said said Yohan as he grinned in return. "Good to be back," he said. "The usual then?" Asked Jinhyuk as Yohan walked up to the counter. "Please," said Yohan as he handed over his card. Jinhyuk processed the order and handed back the card and receipt. "It'll be a few minutes," he said.

Yohan nodded and turned, spotting everyone they were going to meet at a table already. He also spotted everyone's betas sitting scattered around the coffee shop, so Yohan nodded to Hangyul and Dohyun to find a place to sit. Seungwoo and Wooseok inclined their heads at Yohan before going to sit where Eunwoo and Rocky were to have a chat. Dohyun and Hangyul went to sit near the big table, pretending to have a conversation and Yohan headed over to the big table.

"So you've decided to become public with your territory huh?" Asked Moonbin as he stared down Yohan with a slight calculating look. Yohan held a steady gaze with Moonbin for a few seconds before looking around the table. "Yes," he said.

"What brought this on exactly?" Asked Kyuhyun. "It's more to take a load off our hunters' backs," said Yohan. "We haven't had many problems with vampires or werewolves, but they've been rather busy lately," he said. "Ah, I think they were in Spain last I checked," said Sungjin. "Woosung, you may know him as Sam, had told me they had gotten visitors," he said. "Well, one of them is," said Yohan. "I know Hyeongjun is in the states right now," he said.

"You're rather quiet Chan," remarked Sungjin as he looked at Chan. Chan hummed, shaking his head. "I'm just thinking," he said. "I think my mind's already made up," he said. "But I'd like to hear what the others say first," he added.

"I think opening another door farther into Europe won't hurt," said Moonbin. "Donghan is already in Switzerland, but Austria's farther east," he said. "We have yet to actually tackle Italy right now," said Kyuhyun. "I think if we were to establish a territory there, we'd need to make sure we have allies in the surrounding countries," he said.

"I think it's a good idea," said Sungjin. "It gives us a chance to explore that part of Europe and determine how things go from there," he said. "I have yet to infiltrate Portugal but," he added, shrugging. "I'm in no hurry right now, unless something gets brought up to me directly," he said.

Their conversation was interrupted by Dami, who with the help of Sanha, brought over their coffees and set them down. Everyone said thank you before taking a sip of coffee, with Yohan forcing down a gag from the taste. "I will never get used to the taste of coffee," Yohan said, shaking his head as he put his cup down, earning chuckles from everyone. "Depending on how it's made, it's not that bad," said Sungjin. Yohan hummed, taking a slower sip of coffee.

"Well," said Chan after he set his cup of coffee down. "I think I'm going to say yes to this," he said. "Having more allies out in the eastern side of Europe would help a lot, I'm in the works of contacting another wolf pack over in Hungary but I can't make it out there yet due to the wolf council breathing down my neck after Woojin's... Retirement," he said.

"Say the word Chan, we'll put a stop to it," said Moonbin. "We're an alliance here, the European Union of the supernatural world," he said. Chan hummed. "I'll think about it," he said.

"So, we're allies now?" Asked Yohan. "Welcome to the alliance," said Moonbin as he held out his hand for a shake. Yohan shook his hand, nodding. "Thanks," he said. With that statement the tense atmosphere disappeared immediately, the friendly atmosphere that usually consumed the shop was back.

 

~



"You know, if you wanted my approval you should've asked years ago, when we first met them," said Jinhyuk as he came to sit down beside Rocky. "Seungwoo here was pretty much denying it," Wooseok said with a snort. "What, afraid of the cavalry dog?" Asked Jinhyuk, and Seungwoo stiffened at the word.

"What's there to be afraid of? A lynx doesn't scare me," Seungwoo retorted after a minute of tense silence, earning a snicker from Wooseok. "You really need to learn when he's joking," said Wooseok. "It's hard to tell with me you know that," Jinhyuk said, laughing.

"Well," said Eunwoo. "I'd give the whole rant about taking care of him but I'm technically still the younger brother here," he said, shaking his head in amusement. "We already went through that with Seungsik, and he's scary when he wants to be," grumbled Wooseok, earning an amused snort from Seungwoo.

"The only thing I'm going to ask of you is, just keep him happy," said Eunwoo. "I know, your attention is only half there due to only finding one of your mates but don't screw this up," he said. "I will send Sanggyun after you," he said. "The wolf dog? Please, I think I'd be more scared of Mingi, and he's not even a werewolf hunter," said Seungwoo. Wooseok shook his head, sighing. "Well, thanks for approving, I guess," he said. Eunwoo nodded.

"We should get going then," said Yohan as he walked over to their table with Hangyul and Dohyun. "We have a long train ride back to Austria," he said. "Man," whined Wooseok. "I was enjoying the family reunion," he said. Yohan tried his hardest to not crack a smile as he shook his head. "Come on," he said. "Fine," Wooseok said with a pout, getting up. "Aish," said Seungwoo as he got up.

"Have a safe trip back," called Moonbin. "Thanks, and I will," called Yohan before he headed out with the others following after him.