The vision

Do you remember?

Daehyun pulled up at Jae's house about 20 minutes later, and Jae stared at it. It was a traditional Korean home, and it wasn't too big or too small. Daehyun got out of the car to help Jae out, but she beat him to it, and let herself out. She stared at Daehyun for a moment, then back at the house. Daehyun grabbed his bag and reached for her house key. He slowly unlocked the door, and they both walked in. The floors were shining, and everything looked clean, and not a single speck of dust was seen.

"Everything seems so clean..." Jae whispered to herself. Daehyun heard her and chuckled slightly.

"Every week while you were in the coma, I'd come to the house and clean it up. I loved your parents, and I was especially upset them when I found out they died... so I wanted to do a nice favor..." He said, giving her a soft smile. Jae smiled at him and glanced around the house. She expected to remember something, anything, but nothing came to mind.

"I can't remember anything." She huffed, and Daehyun chuckled at her and ruffled her hair.

"I don't think they'd come right away, but very soon they will..." He said, and he excused himself to put his bag upstairs in the guest room. Jae walked around the house, glancing around the area. She found several pictures hung on the wall, and she stopped and stared at one that caught her eye. Her parents were holding a little girl's hands, who she assumed was her, and they were all laughing happily together. She smiled, but frowned when she felt tears form in her eyes. She felt herself trembling, and then she was quietly sobbing. How she could be happy, knowing that her parents had died in that accident? Why was she the only one who made it out alive?

Daehyun walked back downstairs and found Jae sitting on the floor, quietly sobbing. He quickly ran to her and embraced her in his arms, her soft hair and pulling her onto his lap. Jae sobbed on his shoulder, needing his company. She was a weeping, empty mess, and she hated feeling this way. She didn't like showing her weaknesses, but with everything that she is finding out, it's hard not to.

"Ssh, babe it's ok. It's ok, I'm here for you." He whispered in her ear, holding her closer to him. She buried her damp face in his neck, and he shivered as her warm breath fanned his skin.

"My parents... Why..." She said in between sobs, and Daehyun picked her up and walked over to the couch. He set her down on his lap again and held her there, rubbing her back soothingly. After several minutes, she calmed down, and she hastily wiped her tears away.

"S-sorry..." She apologized sheepishly, and Daehyun shook his head and smiled at her.

"Jae, I told you that I would be here for you. I'm not leaving you." He said, leaning in and giving her damp cheeks a kiss. Her cheeks went up in flames, and she awkwardly smiled at him. "Thank you..."

Daehyun showed her around the house, hoping to trigger anything, but nothing had happened. Jae was growing frustrated now, and he decided to give her a break. Jae walked into the living room, her gaze falling on a small picture lying on the table. She picked it up and stared at it. It was a picture of her and her parents, and they were celebrating something. She was blowing out the candles. Nausea suddenly hit her, and her brain began to throb. She groaned and dropped the picture, and she gripped her head. She felt like her head was a ticking time bomb, and she felt like it would explode any second now. She slumped to the floor, and sweat began to break out of her forehead. Then very slowly, her brain had focused on a vision.

 

"Sweetie, get ready to blow out the candles!" Her mother smiled brightly, holding the camera, her finger hovering above the button. Her father lit the candles on the cake. The two candles were a one and a zero, and it was her 10th birthday. She wanted to blow the candles and make a wish, and her mother positioned the camera and pressed the button. They had 3 seconds to get into position.

1...

"Get ready Jae!" Her father patted her back, giving her a huge grin. 

2...

"On 3, blow the candles." Her mother said, and she nodded, making her wish.

"3!" Her parents smiled at the camera while Jae quickly blew out the candles. She squealed and clapped her hands together, a huge smile on her face.

"The picture looks great." Her father said, examining it. Her mother smiled and smeared icing on Jae's face with her finger.

"Jae, what did you wish for?" She asked, giving her daughter a kiss on her forehead. Jae smiled and grinned at them.

"I wished that mommy and daddy would always be with me."

 

Slowly, Jae was brought back to reality, and she was unaware that Daehyun was shaking her shoulders and calling her name.

"Jae! Jae, what's wrong?!" Daehyun kept shaking her shoulders, and finally, he got a response from her. She blinked several times at him,  and he exhaled in relief.

"Jae, what happened? You were on the floor and-"

"I had a vision..." She said, a stray tear escaping her eyes. Daehyun froze, his eyes widening in shock.

"A vision? As in a memory?" He asked, slowly feeling a grin growing on his face. Jae nodded and rubbed her head, wincing when she still felt her head throbbing. She had a massive headache now, and she felt dizzy and sick.

"It was my 10th birthday... My parents and I took a picture together, this picture-" She pointed to the picture lying on the floor.

"-And then I made a wish... I wished that my parents would always be with me..." She whispered, choking back a sob. Her eyes were bloodshot and red with all the crying that she has done, and with her massive headache, she wasn't sure if she could handle another round. Daehyun's growing grin faded, and he leaned in and rested his forehead against Jae's. She helplessly stared into his eyes. She felt like she was suffocating being in this house, since it did belong to her dead parents. Daehyun was happy that she had finally remembered something, and he know knew that he needed to show her some personal items, hoping to trigger some more memories.

"Come with me. You need rest." Daehyun picked Jae up bridal style and carried her upstairs to her room. He set her down on the bed and pulled the covers over her body. He kissed her forehead and her cheek with his fingers.

"Sleep well, Jae. I'll be next door if you need me." He whispered to her. Jae glanced around the dark room. She really didn't want to be alone anymore, and she was afraid to sleep. She was sure that she'd be haunted in her dreams. As Daehyun was turning around, Jae reached out and grabbed his arm. He turned around and stared at her, giving her a questioning look.

"Don't go..." Jae whispered, and Daehyun was silent. Jae trusted Daehyun now, even if she didn't remember him. He showed her how trusting he was, and that he truly was by her side. Daehyun didn't need to be told twice. He slipped into bed with her and pulled the covers over them. He wrapped an arm around her waist and snuggled closer to him. Jae rested his head against his shoulder and sighed.

"Daehyun, thank you..." He smiled and kissed her head.

"Sleep Jae. I'm here now." He whispered, and she nodded and snuggled closer to him, closing her eyes. Several minutes later, Daehyun felt her body relax, meaning that she fell asleep. He smiled and he couldn't control his beating heart. It's been years since he had last snuggled like this with Jae, and he missed the feel of her body pressed against his. It sent sparks flying within him, and it shortened his breath. He remembered the deal that they had made, and every time he remembers it, he felt sad. She might never even feel the same way that he feels for her.

Daehyun kissed her head once more and closed his eyes.

"Saranghae..." He whispered before he felt himself drifting off into a peaceful darkness.

Saranghae, my love...