Family

The Identity I Never Knew

 

~MEANWHILE~
 
"What do you think is wrong with him?" Hankyung gently layed the unconscious Yesung on his bed.
 
"He's sick. He's tired himself out. Stupid dog" Heechul placed down a basin of cold water down on the bedside table. "Help me undress him"
 
"I'll do it. Get me some clothes for him to change then wait outside the door"
 
"Who are you to tell me what to do?" Heechul crossed her arms angrily.
 
"Do you want to help him or not?" he asked calmly. She nodded. "Then do as I say and don't be stubborn"
 
Heechul sighed before complying to Hankyung's orders. She rummaged through Yesung's neat walk-in-closet and picked out his favorite pajamas and an oversized T-shirt. 'I bet this is Kyuhyun's' she sighed again. She stepped out of the room and handed Hankyung the clothes before leaving the room. "Call me when your done"
 
Hankyung nodded and as the door closed, he began undressing the feverish Yesung. When he's done, he placed the neatly folded used clothes in an empty chair before calling Heechul. "I'm done" She nodded and entered the room again.
 
She gently placed the damp cloth on his forehead. "You can leave now if you want. I have to stay here and take care of him"
 
"I won't leave" He sat down on the other side of the bed. Heechul looked at him in disbelief but Hankyung just smiled. 
 
"Don't blame me if you get bored"
 
Hankyung smiled gently "I won't" 
 
Heechul kept wiping Yesung's forehead while the latter's breath hitched. An hour later, his breathing became normal but his temparature is still high.
 
"You're very protective of him" Hankyung said as he gave Heechul a cup of coffee. She didn't sense the hint of jealousy evident in the tone.
 
She sighed as she took a sip from her coffee "I know what he's been through" she stared deeply into Hankyung's confused face.
 
"Yesung and I are cousins just so you know" Hankyung stared at him wide eyed.
 
"Oh" was all he could answer.
 
"Yeah, oh." She sipped to her coffee again and they sat side by side in silence. After they finished their coffee they watched a movie in low volume. They dozed off for a few hours but was woken up by a sudden scream.
 
"NO DON'T!!! LEAVE THEM ALONE! UNCLE NO!" Yesung started thrashing around the bed screaming incoherent words.
 
Heechul stood up immediately and tried stopping Yesung from thrashing but to no avail. The guy is far more stronger than her. Hankyung sensed her dilemma and immediately stood up and pinned the thrashing Yesung down. "Doesn't he have butlers or anything?" 
 
"During this time of the year, he probably gave them a holiday" she hugged the thrashing Yesung as the latter cried endlessly in her arms, finally calming down. "You can let go now" she carressed Yesung's hair gently.
 
"I hope you don't mind me asking..." he trailed off. Heechul raised an eyebrow at him. He sighed then continued "Wha-what happened to him?"
 
Heechul stared at him for what seemed like an eternity before sighing "Alright, I'll tell you" Hankyung breathed out a sigh of relief. "Promise me one thing though" He nodded "Don't tell anyone about this"
 
Heechul stared out in the wide room, her hands kept moving through Yesung's soft raven hair. Hankyung anticipated what she would tell. He's somehow relieved that she didn't get angry for asking such a sensitive topic from her but the heck, he's curious.
 
"My father has a younger brother named Jonghyun. They weren't that close because that guy seriously has attitude. I met him once and he tried to hit on me which was disgusting" Heechul frowned at the memory while Hankyung widened his eyes in shock.
 
She shook her head as if erasing the memory in her head and continued with the story. "Anyway, Yesung's father was adopted in the family. According to my dad, their is 3 years and he was already 10 years old when he joined the family. At first, my father didn't like him. Who would right?" Hankyung nodded in response "My uncle, however, was devastated. He constantly hurt him during their childhood up until their teens. My grandparents only knew about this harsh treatment when they caught uncle Jonghyun on the act. He was beating him senseless, my father didn't describe it to me that well because he said it was a nightmare he wanted to forget. My grandpa was very furious about this that he decided to banish uncle Jonghyun and disinherit him. Years later, Yesung's father became really successful. Everyone in our family was really proud of him, even my father. He would always acknowledge the fact that if it wasn't for the Kim household, he wouldn't be where he is now"
 
Heechul stopped abruptly as if relieving the happy moments and smiled at herself. "Everything was fine until uncle Jonghyun decided to show up again. He ruined everything!"
 
~FLASHBACK~
 
It was summer then. Heechul and Yesung were both 14 and 13 years old respectively and they were playing in the beach. They were celebrating the success of opening of another branch of Kim Industries. 
 
"You did amazing my brother" Mr Kim patted his brother's shoulder.
 
"You know that I couldn't have done it without you right?" he answered with a smile. 
 
"Dad! I'm hungry!! Let's get something to eat please?" Heechul whined. Her father chuckled at her cuteness and carried her. 
 
"Alright! Hey, I'm gonna take Heechul for a moment and buy something to eat. Do you want something?" he asked his brother. 
 
The latter shook his head "I'm fine. Just come back here in one piece" he smiled genuinely.
 
"Uncle, we'll be okay! Yesungie~! Wait for noona ok?" She held out her pinky finger and Yesung nodded before intertwining his finger with her. "Bye~!"
 
Little did they know, someone from afar was watching their every move. The person smirked before walking closer to the house beside the beach in which Yesung and his dad entered.
 
"Jongwoon, let's hear you sing" his mother called. He immediately ran towards the den where his mother is. She's sitting in front of a grand piano. His father sat down on a couch and pulled out a guitar. "Give it your best shot ok?"
 
"Yes mom!" he stood infront of them and sang while his parents played the melody for him. When the song ended, someone clapped from the door.
 
Yesung's father stood up almost immediately and pulled Yesung behind him. The man walked closer "That was amazing. You're son has a pretty voice. A pretty face too, I  might add"
 
"What are you doing here Jonghyun?" he hissed.
 
"Is that how you treat your brother huh?" he mocked hurt.
 
"I was never a brother to you" He turned around "Take Jongwoon with you and leave the house" he secretly dialled a number and hid his phone behind his back. 
 
"I won't leave you daddy! Who is he?" Yesung hugged his dad's arm. 
 
Jonghyun chuckled at the sight. "I'm your uncle ! You didn't mention me to your son, huh?" He pulled out a gun and pointed it at Yesung's dad. His mom screamed in horror.
 
"Jonghyun, put the gun down and let's talk about this" he tried to shield both Yesung and his wife in her back.
 
Jonghyun chuckled yet again before shooting at his wife. "She's too noisy!" 
 
"No!!" he lunged at him and tried to take away the gun.
 
"Jongwoon, baby, run. Run as fast as you can and ask for help" she carressed her cheeks and wiped the tears in his face.
 
"I won't leave you mommy!" he hugged her and cried uncontrollably. The door suddenly opened and Heechul's dad entered the scene but was a little too late. Jonghyun already shot Yesung's dad directly to his heart and was dead in an instant.
 
Jonghyun smirked as he saw that his work is now done. Mr. Kim lunged at him and pinned him down as the police made their way to the beach house. "Why are you doing this? I'm supposed to be your brother not that pathetic loser!!!" Jonghyun thrashed and tried to free himself. 
 
The police took Jonghyun and handcuffed him. "You never really acted like my brother Jonghyun. You became a monster" he said sternly. Jonghyun spat at him then laughed like a maniac. 
 
~END OF FLASHBACK~
 
"After that incident, he never talked to anyone except me for 2 months. He secluded himself from the outside world but then stood up on his own feet. I never saw him cry again except during the anniversary of the death of his parents. He gives everyone a holiday just so he could seclude himself again" Heechul continued.
 
Hankyung wiped the tears on her face and held her free hand. "Let's go pay a visit to his parents tomorrow if he feels better, ok?" she nodded and squeezed his hand. "Let's rest for now. You look exhausted" 
 
The next morning, Yesung woke up in  between the sleeping figures of Heechul and Hankyung. They both held onto his hand while their other arm is resting on his stomach. It was as if they were hugging him. He smiled as a tear dropped on the side of his eyes. Heechul opened her eyes and looked at Yesung.
 
"Hey" she greeted. He hummed in response "How're you feeling?"
 
"Much better" He smiled. 
 
"I'll go make breakfast. You two rest some more" Hankyung got up and left the two alone. 
 
Yesung hugged her gently "Thank you for being there for me always"
 
Heechul chuckled "Stupid dog! I'm still your cousin you know!"
 
He looked up "But we're not blood related"
 
She hugged him tighter "That... doesn't matter" Yesung smiled. He snuggled closer. 
 
"You'll always be my best friend"
 
Heechul lokked down on him "Psh! Your best friend is that stupid turtle!" Yesung laughed. 
 
"Just shut up and sleep!" Yesung retorted. Heechul smiled before closing her eyes. 
 
Outside the room, Hankyung smiled at the interaction between cousins before heading towards the kitchen.
 
 
A/N: I'm not supposed to update today but I was happy with the previous comments so here you are! enjoy!
 
@funsize92 i feel so honored that my story is one of your favorites.. thank you!
@amanda_clarissa i'm glad you like the story even though you're not a fan of gender bender stories.. thank you for reading!
@colorfulsmyname i want to make it longer honestly, but if i do that the title will no longer suit it.. but i will try to make a sequel..
 
^^