New Beginning

The Identity I Never Knew

               It has been two months since the accident. Donghae was holding a bouquet of flowers and was heading to the cemetery. She placed it down on the grave in front of her. Her phone suddenly rang.

                "Hello? Heechul? What is it?"

                ‘Stupid fish! Where are you?! You need to prepare! Get your here now!' she yelled.

                "You don't have to yell. I'll be there soon. Bye!" she placed her phone back into her pocket then sighed. "I guess I'll be back soon huh? I have lots of things to tell you. Bye!" she ran off.

                'I know. I'll be waiting then'

                "Donghae! Oh my god! Where have you been? Here put this on!" Sungmin said and shoved a dress on her face. "And hurry up will you? Leeteuk and Heechul are a mess right now. Everybody is!"

                'Who wouldn't be?' Donghae thought. She stared at the dress on her hand and let her hand slid down. She smiled at herself. Today, she would be celebrating Christmas Eve with the rest of the Stars members and their families.

                "Donghae, why aren't you dressed yet? Is there something wrong?" Leeteuk asked.

                Donghae shook her head. "Nothing's wrong. Just wondering"

                "Let me guess, you're wondering how Christmas would be if Hyukjae is here am I right?" Donghae blushed. "Donghae, you know you can't alter the past. He's not coming back" Leeteuk stated sadly.

                Donghae cried for weeks after the accident. She isolated herself from everyone else. Of course, if it wasn't for Heechul and her insane persistence, she wouldn't come out of her shell.

                'Hyukjae's dead. Get over it, Donghae! You're just making your life worse. You'll find someone better! Fighting!' she thought to herself. A tear escaped from her eye. Leeteuk wiped it with her thumb and gently caressed her cheek.

                "Go get ready Donghae. Everyone's waiting" she said as she turns to leave the room. “I should prepare the cameras now” Leeteuk smiled slyly before walking away from the door.

                When Donghae was ready, she went downstairs and headed straight to the function hall. Nobody was around. "Hey guys? Where are you? I'm here now" she spoke nervously. Then suddenly, the lights went dim. She panicked for a moment but realized that she wasn't alone.

                "Who's there?" she asked nervously. 'Dad! If you're still out there, please protect me from whoever this person turned out to be' she silently prayed.

                The figure took a step forward. Donghae tried running away but her feet were rooted on the ground. Curiosity was looming over her. 

                Another step.

                Donghae grimaced at how slow this person is. If this figure wants to do something bad to her, might as well do it faster right? The suspense is killing her.

                Another step.

                The figure was holding something. It was something big; something she still can't distinguish because the dimly lit room made it impossible for her see yet.

                Another step.

                The room was now completely dark. Except for the spot lights directed towards Donghae and another one directed towards nothing in particular.

                Another step.

                Donghae gasped and covered with both her hands as tears began to fall uncontrollably. The figure was a man wearing a white tuxedo with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. Part of his hair was neatly (almost) sleeked upwards while the rest were messed in a stylish way. He was smiling geekishly, showing his gums. A pair of huge spectacles was placed in the bridge of his nose.

                "Merry Christmas Donghae" Hyukjae spoke first, smile never leaving his face.

                Donghae ran towards him and threw her arms around him. She cried even more when she realized she wasn't hallucinating. Hyukjae is here and he's alive! She's hugging him right now. She tightened her hug around him, not wanting to let go.

                Hyukjae pulled away from her and she frowned. "Where in the world have you been this past two months huh??! Why didn't you tell me you were alive?" she punched Hyukjae's chest lightly. Tears were still evident in her eyes.

                He placed the bouquet of flowers down on the table near them and wiped her tears. "You're ruining your make up you know" he chuckled lightly. "You should smile. It's Christmas eve"

                Donghae smiled angelically at her lover. "Merry Christmas to you too by the way" she frowned a little "And what's with the glasses. You don't need them anyway!" she pulled off the glasses. At the same time, he leaned closer and captured her lips with his. Donghae was shocked for a moment but relaxed a bit and responded to the kiss.

                All the lights went on and a series of loud bangs was heard. Confetti flew from every direction and everyone was clapping their hands.

                "This is just too sweet! Yo, monkey! Stop eating my fish's lips! She still needs to breathe!" Heechul yelled.

                Donghae and Hyukjae pulled away from each other and blushed furiously. Music started playing. Hyukjae held out his hand and asked "May I have this dance?" Donghae smiled and nodded, placing her hands on Hyukjae's.

                While the newly reunited couple was dancing, Sungmin and Kyuhyun were on the side, watching them. "Where was Hyukjae after the accident? I thought he died" Sungmin asked.

                "He was taken by his father with the help of Kangin-appa and the hospital staff" Kyuhyun answered.

                Sungmin furrowed her eyebrows "How?"

~FLASHBACK~

                "Donghae!" Heechul caught her before she hits the floor. Kangin took her in his arms and carried her bridal style towards one of the rooms. Her mother, Sungmin and Kyuhyun followed him.

                Everyone was crying when suddenly the doctor spoke, "He's fine. He just needs to rest for 1 and a half month or so and he'll be able to walk again" Jaws dropped open. Others sighed in relief while Heechul gripped the collar of the doctor and harshly slammed him onto the wall.

                "What did you just say? He'll be fine? Did I hear that right? Then why the did you have to look some ing retard that lost something precious huh?!" Heechul yelled. Hankyung pried her hands off the doctor and pulled her away from him.

                The doctor fixed his coat and stood up straight. Hyukjae was wheeled out of the operating room and the others followed suit.

                "Are you friends of Eunhyuk?" A man asked. Everyone stopped on their tracks and turned around.

                "Mir?" Gyuri asked. "What are you doing here?"

                Gyuri? You’re Eunhyuk's friend?" Mir asked in disbelief.

                She shook her head. "He's my sister's boyfriend"

                Heechul raised an eyebrow. "How do you know each other?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

                "Fiancé" they answered in unison. They blushed simultaneously.

                Yesung faked a cough as the atmosphere was getting weirder by the minute. "Yes, we are Eunhyuk's friends. Why did you ask? And I assume that's Eunhyuk's dad??" he inquired.

                "Right. Uhm. Yes. This is Mr. Lee. Owner of Crimson Hotel" Everyone bowed at him in respect.

                "I see that my son has finally got himself quite a few friends. I'm very happy that you accepted him openly. I'm really thanking you whole-heartedly for that" he bowed at the teenagers and smiled. "Anyway, the girl who fainted a while ago, is she...?"

                "Your son's girlfriend? Yes. Yes, she is" Leeteuk completed. A smile formed on her face.

My son likes hiding his identity. Does she know about this too?" Everyone nodded. "I see. Can you do me a favor?" he asked.

                "It depends on what you would ask us" Hankyung answered.

                "I want you to keep it a secret to... what's her name?"

                "Donghae" they replied.

                "To Donghae that my son is alive. I want to take him to America with me so he can recover peacefully. Don't worry; I'll take him back here just before Christmas"

                "What if he hates you for taking him away from Donghae?" Ryeowook asked.

                "I'll explain everything to him. I'm his best friend after all" Mir proudly stated.

                "Let's keep this meeting discreet. Can I trust you with that?" Mr. Lee asked. Everyone nodded. He smiled and left the group. Mir followed him.

~END OF FLASHBACK~

                "How did you know that? You were with me when she fainted!" Sungmin asked, annoyed.

                "Blame Heechul-noona and her big mouth" he chuckled and gave her a peck on the cheek. "Do you want to dance?"

                "You can't dance Kyu." she deadpanned. "Let's just stroll outside"

                "But it's cold!" he whined.

                "Quit being a baby!" she pulled her towards the door.

                Meanwhile, Heechul and Hankyung joined the couple and danced in one corner. They were having an intimate time, giggling and whispering incoherent words to each other. Hankyung sighed deeply as he contemplated whether he should tell his girlfriend about the news.

                “What is it?” Heechul asked. But Hankyung shook his head instead.  “Something’s bothering you. Tell me about it. Maybe I can help you”

                After an internal debate, he finally decided to confess. "I'm going back to China after graduation"

                "WHAT?!" Heechul almost yelled. "What do you mean you’re going back to China?"

                "I want to prove something to your parents. I want them to be proud of me. So," he intertwined their hands and stared lovingly into her eyes "when I come back, I can ask for your hand" he kissed her hand. Heechul blushed and looked away. He just chuckled at the cute sight.

                When the song ended, Hyukjae pulled Donghae towards the balcony. "Remember this place?" he asked.

                Donghae thought for a moment then shook her head. He smiled and caressed her cheek gently.

               "Do you want to remember?" she nodded. He leaned closer and brushed his lips lightly at Donghae's. He pulled away and smiled again. "Do you remember now?" he asked the-still-gaping Donghae. "Looks like you didn't. Maybe I should do it again" he teased and pulled her closer to him and kissed her full on the lips. She slowly closed her eyes and responded to the kiss. Their lips moved in perfect synchronization.

~5 YEARS LATER~

              “Monkey, will you please stop fidgeting? Sit still or I’ll cut your balls off” Heechul threatened the pacing Monkey. He immediately took a seat and started biting his nails instead, far from Heechul’s view of course.

                Mir, on the other side of the room, was fixing his tuxedo in front of the mirror when Gyuri entered the room. “Hey there handsome! Need some help?”

                Mir turned around to face his wife and kissed her gently on the lips. “It’s alright dear. I got this. Is Donghae ready?” he inquired.

                “Yes. But she’s so nervous. Mom can’t even calm her down. She kept thinking what if something bad happens and such” Gyuri sighed.

                “I’ll be going to her room then” Heechul stood up.

                “I’m coming with you!” Sungmin followed her to the door.

                When the two girls left, Eunhyuk stood up and paced around the room again. This time, he’s biting his nails too.                

                “Lee Hyukjae, if you don’t stop pacing right now, you will be standing in the altar with a black eye” Yesung calmly stated. Eunhyuk immediately sat down and fished out his phone and started playing with it instead.

                Meanwhile, Donghae can’t stop fidgeting and when Heechul arrived in the room she immediately stood up.

                “Wow Donghae! You look absolutely stunning! You’re even more beautiful than me when I wore my wedding dress. I can’t believe you look amazing!” Sungmin happily complimented Donghae.

                “You think so? Do you think Eunhyuk would like this?” she ran a hand at her wedding dress. The dress was white, with sequins decorating the beautiful gown. It was strapless and it fit Donghae’s body perfectly well. Her veil was pulled back since the wedding has not yet started.

                Heechul cupped her face with a smile before using “My fish is the most beautiful girl after me. Eunhyuk would definitely love you. Well, actually, he already does. If you have seen him in his room, you would really want to smack his head because he couldn’t stop fidgeting” Sungmin nodded in agreement. Heechul let go of her face and made a mental note to compliment the tailor of the wedding dress.

                “He’s nervous too?”

                “Who wouldn’t be nervous? It’s your wedding! You told me that Kyuhyun was so nervous during our wedding that he couldn’t win a single game” Donghae laughed at the memory.

                The door opened and revealed Heechul’s mother. “Girl’s, it’s time. Say goodbye to Donghae for now. Honey, get in here now”

                The two girls left the room while saying encouraging words to the bride. As they reached the door, Mr. Kim entered the room. He closed the door behind him and walked towards Donghae.

                “Are you nervous?” Donghae nodded.

                “I remember my wedding day with Heechul’s mom. It wasn’t extravagant but it was the most beautiful wedding for the both of us. We know that we are both in love with each other. You know that marriage is a sacred ritual right? It binds you to your partner, till death do you part. Remember this Donghae dear, as long as there is love, your marriage will bloom and will not wither.”

                Donghae hugged Mr. Kim, trying to suppress the tears that were now forming in her eyes. He gave words so meaningful and deep, like the way fathers are supposed to give their daughters on their wedding day.

                “Thank you. Thank you so much for always being there for me since you found me. I don’t know how I can ever repay your kindness to me. I’m so happy that my father has found a good friend in you sir”

               Mr. Kim pulled away and wiped the tear that escaped her eye. “Shh. Don’t cry now or else you’ll ruin your make up. And don’t call me sir or uncle, call me dad”

               Donghae smiled widely; too happy to suppress her feelings as she hugged the older man again. “Yes Dad!”

               Everything was set inside the church. Eunhyuk was nervously standing in front of the altar with his best friend Mir. As the organ played, people closely related to the couple were marching in one by one. The first one to march in was Sungmin with her husband, Kyuhyun, followed by Yesung and Ryeowook. Gyuri entered next, followed closely by their mom. Heechul’s mom followed suit and right behind her was her daughter who was also the bride’s maid. Lastly, Donghae, with a veil covering her face was escorted by Mr. Kim as they walked down the aisle.

               Eunhyuk watched his soon-to-be wife walked down the aisle towards him. It was as if time stopped as he stared at Donghae. He could only here the organ playing, and the only thing he sees is Donghae. The rest of the view was a blur to him. Unconsciously, he held his breath.

              When Donghae and Mr. Kim reached them, he breathed out a sigh of relief. Mr. Kim gave him a pat on the shoulder. “Take care of her, ok?”

             “I will sir. I promise you that”

             Mr. Kim nodded in approval and gave Donghae’s hand to Eunhyuk’s. The couple was in their own world as a cool breeze blew past them. They stared at each other’s eyes, not wanting to break their eye contact. But of course they have to, because the priest started talking.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today…” The couple wasn’t really listening to what the priest was saying. They were both excited because finally, they will be together with God as their witness.

”And now for the vows” the priest said which snapped both Donghae and Eunhyuk out of their thoughts. They faced each other and they smiled.

Eunhyuk was the first one to speak. “I, Lee Hyukjae, take you, Lee Donghae, to be my wife, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live” he smiled gently as he placed the ring on her finger.

                Donghae stared at their hands as Eunhyuk inserted the ring on her finger. A blush crept up her face. Eunhyuk squeezed her hand, indicating her that it’s her turn now. Donghae immediately snapped out of her trance and took a ring from the ring bearer.

                “I, Lee Donghae, take you, Lee Hyukjae, to be my wife, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live” she inserted the ring on Eunhyuk’s finger, not breaking her stare from him.

                The rings were simple because Donghae wanted it to be simple. Eunhyuk complied with this request and bought the simplest ring he could find and have their names engraved in it.

                “I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride” the priest concluded.

                The couple faced each other again. This time, Eunhyuk pulled the veil up from Donghae’s face. They smiled sheepishly at each other before Eunhyuk leaned closer and sealed their wedding with a kiss. Everyone clapped their hands to the newly –wed couple.

                After the wedding, they all headed to the reception which was in one of Leeteuk’s hotels. Donghae changed into a more comfortable dress since her wedding dress is too heavy to wear around all day. Everyone was happily talking and dancing but Donghae noticed one particular person who was sulking in the corner of the room. She approached the figure and sat down on the nearest chair.

“Hey, Rella! What’s wrong? Aren’t you having fun?”

She smiled bitterly and nodded, not really trusting her voice.

“You are definitely lying, Cat” Yesung mocked out, who suddenly popped out of nowhere. “I know something’s bothering you even from a mile away”

Heechul glared at her cousin before sighing in complete defeat. She placed a hand on her forehead and sighed again. Donghae and Yesung sat beside her, not uttering a word as they wait patiently for Heechul to speak.

When Heechul finally gained composure, she let her hands fall to her lap and stared mindlessly at the couples dancing. Donghae and Yesung finally got the hint as they follow her gaze but they kept silent.  She was definitely missing Hankyung.

“It’s been 5 years you know. 5 freaking years and he still haven’t come back. He used to call me every night but then it reduced to once a week then to once a month. I don’t know if I can wait for him any longer. What if he found someone better in China? What if he forgets that he loves me? What do I do now?” a tear escaped her eye; she furiously wiped it away.

Sungmin suddenly approached them and whispered “It’s time” to Donghae. She nodded and glanced at Yesung who nodded as well. He left with Sungmin not long after.

“I’m gonna go get us something to drink. Will you be alright if I leave you for a moment?” she asked Heechul.

Heechul nodded and gave her a sad smile. “This is your wedding night. You should enjoy this night with that monkey instead of worrying about me”

“He’s got me all evening and he knows that” Heechul chuckled. With that, Donghae left with a wide grin on her face and approached Eunhyuk.

“How is she holding up?”

“Not so good. She might kill Hankyung if he doesn’t show up soon. She has already entered the stage of depression, I think” Donghae drank a cup of strawberry punch.

Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow at his wife. “You do realize that that drink contains alcohol, right?”

Donghae widened her eyes as she looked back and forth from the cup to her husband. “Oh my god! What if I get drunk Hyukkie? What if I say a lot of incoherent words and do a lot of stupid things during our first night?” Donghae panicked and she paced back and forth. Eunhyuk chuckled at his wife’s innocence. Before she become even more frantic he held her in place and stared at her in the eyes.

“Do you feel dizzy?” Donghae thought for a moment before shaking her head. Eunhyuk smiled at his wife and placed a quick kiss to her lips. “Then don’t worry. You’re not drunk”

Donghae smiled and hugged Eunhyuk. He looked up and smiled as he saw the figure they have been waiting for a long time. “Baby, he’s here”

Heechul was watching the Kyumin couple giggling in one corner of the room, envy creeping up to her bones. She could’ve asked Sungmin where Hankyung was and what’s taking him so long to come back to her arms but she’s too proud to do that. She doesn’t want to be thought of as someone submissive.

She sighed. The room was unceremoniously dim now. The noise seems to be subtle; no one was talking but the music was still playing.

“What in the world is going on here?” Heechul yelled as she stood up. She was already depressed but leaving her here in this large room alone with some sick romantic love song is making it worse.

A pair of hands suddenly covered her eyes gently. “Guess who?” Heechul’s body stiffened. Everything that was on her mind that time faded as the man who has covered her eyes spoke. Tears formed on her eyes when she remembers the voice that she’s been waiting for so long. That heavily accented voice that she loves so much.

She frees herself from the man and turned around. The man was smiling gently at her. It was him. He has definitely returned; her china man, Hankyung. The tall man threw his arms open wide and Heechul found herself hugging him. She has never cried in front of anyone, except of course Yesung. But whenever she’s around Hankyung, she always does a lot of things she’s never done before.

“Sorry I took so long my princess” he gently caressed her hair, placing kisses on her head. “Did you miss me?”

Heechul pulled away and glared at him with an expression of “Are you ing serious?” written all over her tear streaked face. Hankyung chuckled.

“I think you’ve waited long enough” he knelt down in front of her and took a small red box from his pocket and opened it in front of her. “Kim Heechul, I returned here with an intention of finally marrying you. Would you do me the honor and make me the happiest man alive?”

Heechul was speechless. It was as if time suddenly stopped. The music however, made the scene even more romantic than it seems. The couple didn’t notice that Yesung was already singing with Ryeowook playing the piano.

Hankyung was anxious. He was scared that Heechul would reject her. If she does, then he’s got no choice but to court her again and make her his eternally. He waited for a sign of approval or rejection, actually, more like approval. She soon snapped out of her shock and nodded enthusiastically at her boyfriend who happily placed the ring on her ring finger.

“You’re not going to leave again, are you?”

“Nope. Not when I already have you as my fiancé” he kissed her gently. The audience, who mysteriously appeared out of nowhere, clapped their hands.

Kyuhyun, Donghae, Eunhyuk, Sungmin and Yesung, who just finished singing his song, stood in one corner of the room. They were watching the whole event, planned it too.

“I love happy endings” Donghae suddenly spoke.

The rest eyed her weirdly. “What are you saying noona?” Kyuhyun asked the most obvious question.

“We all found someone we truly love and we’re all happy. That just means this is a happy ending for all of us” she explained.

Yesung smiled before speaking “There are no happy endings, Donghae”

“Why is that?” Sungmin asked in confusion.

“Because as one chapter ends, another one begins. To put it simply, there are no endings, just beginnings” he explained.

“We’ve got a long way ahead of us then” Eunhyuk smiled and held Donghae’s hands. He’s gonna start a new beginning, with Donghae by his side. They’re gonna make a new chapter. If they ever decided to look back, they’ll see that their life entangled and began with Donghae meeting a man whose identity she never knew. 

A/N: It's finished! It's been fun, and i really enjoyed this first fanfic i ever made. thank you my readers for following this story until the end. please anticipate more stories to come (hopefully). till next time then? XD Read His Silent Resonance next then! ^^

But wait! There's more! I made a couples special so please anticipate it! Thank you! Click this link to see: TIINK: Couples Special