Rumors

The Identity I Never Knew

 

                  I'm eating lunch at my usual spot watching the roses dance as the wind blows. I think I have a green thumb. The roses are growing beautifully. I might as well add some sunflowers and dandelions so I'll have a variety of flowers. Leeteuk-unnie is always ccoming here every morning to look at the roses. Maybe I should give her the matured ones. It'll be a shame if they got destroyed or something. I snapped from my thoughts when I heard rustling in the bushes. I stood up and looked at the direction of the pond. I mentioned that there's a pond right? The school director knows that I usually hang out here so he just lets me do whatever I want here, including cleaning that pond. I walked over to the apple tree and gasped.
 
                 The figure turned his head towards my direction and saw me, "Oh, hello there miss, sorry for disturbing you". OMG! It's Yesung!! They say his voice is angelic. He's just talking and yet it feels as though he's already singing. I think I'm melting.
 
                 "Are you alright?" his face tells me he's confused. I nodded.
 
                 "Do you mind if I stay here for a while? The pond looks clean and I think my turtle would love to go swim" he picked up a green turtle.
 
                 "It's gonna drown if you place him on the pond" I told him. That's a freakin' land turtle for crying out loud!
 
                 "Oh, is that so? I didn't know. Thank you for telling me... U-uhmm.." he doesn't know me?
 
                 "Donghae. My name is Lee Donghae" 
 
                 "I see. You're the girl Teukie-umma has been talking about non stop" he chuckled. He patted the grass beside him. I guess he wants me to sit down with him so I obliged. It's an opportunity of a lifetime you know.
 
                 "She talks about me?" He nodded. "Why?"
 
                 "I don't know. But she only does that if she fancies that person. Did you know that she kept talking about her boyfriend before she met you? I mean, at first it was exciting but then we thought it was too much and we just want her to shut up. She's very talkative and her laugh is very contagious. It's like out-of-this-world" 
 
                 I stared at him the whole time he was talking. He was very talkative. Not very much like the persona everyone knew. 
 
                 "I don't mean to be rude but can you please stop staring at me? It's alright if we are far from each other but with this distance, it's really awkward" I chuckled at his puzzled expression.
 
                 "I'm sorry. I was just amazed how talkative you were" that was my honest opinion believe me.
 
                 "I see. I've always been talkative you know. I'm just shy around people. And since I'm a part of Stars, I can't help but feel pressured by all the attention I'm getting" he paused for a while then smiled. "Teukie-umma is right" I tilted my head in confusion. He chuckled at my expression "you're very easy to talk to" 
 
                  Just then, my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and saw that it was Hyukjae.
 
                 "Excuse me, I have to answer this" I told Yesung. He smiled at me and I walked away.
 
                 "Where are you Donghae?" Hyukjae asked.
 
                 "The usual. Don't you have class?" I asked him. I'm worried that something might have happened to him.
 
                 "I'll be right there. Wait for me ok?" 
 
                 "Ok. I'll be by the pond" I told him and hang up.
 
                 "Is that you're boyfriend?" Yesung asked me as I took my seat. I shook my head "It was my new friend"
 
                 "Oh. Is he coming over here then?" he asked. 
 
                 "Yeah. He's a new student here and he gets bullied a lot. I usually help him clean up" I told him.
 
                 "Be careful when befriending new students.I know the norm here. If you get dragged down by him-"
 
                 "I don't care if he drags me down with him" I cut him. As long as he thinks I can be a friend to him then I'm fine with it" I told him. His opened his mouth to say something but stopped and looked past me.
 
                 "Thank you for that Donghae" a familiar voice said. I turned around and saw Hyukjae standing, covered with egg and flour. 
 
                 "Oh God! Now they use eggs? Don't they know how to conserve?" I said as I ran towards him. He laughed and so did Yesung behind me. "What's so funny?" I asked the both of them. Yesung stood up and walked towards us. 
 
                 "You're weird. I'm Kim Jongwoon by the way. But you can call me Yesung" he introduced himself. 
 
                 "Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae, it's nice to know you" he answered politely. Wow, this guy is so polite! 
 
                 "It's nice to know you too. Same goes to you Donghae. I'll be leaving the two of you alone then" he walked away. 
 
                 Hyukjae and I started cleaning up. We were both silent. It's awkward being around him alone. Usually, both Sungmin and I will help him clean up. But Sungmin has class.
 
                 "So" I started, trying to break the ice "Why were you laughing a while ago?" 
 
                 He smiled. God I love that smile. Wait what?! "I was covered in eggs and flour and you said they need to conserve. I definitely agree with the statement of Yesung-shi" He smiled again. This time I can see his gums. I can feel myself blush so I looked away.
 
                "Is something wrong?" he asked. I can hear worry in his voice.
 
                "Yeah, I'm fine. I think you're as good as new now" I said facing him. I can't look at his eyes without blushing. 
 
                "Hey, are you sure you're alright? You're so red" Hyukjae asked and touched my forehead. Seriously, I can hear my heart beating twice as much today. Damn it Lee Donghae compose yourself! Just then, the bell rang.
 
                "I have to go now" I ran as fast as I could. Something's definitely wrong with me. 
 
                I reached my room and sat down on my desk followed by Kyuhyun. Ever since his introduction to me the other day, he's been teasing me non-stop. Not in an insulting kind of way, but somehow, he's like a child trying to gain the attention of his sister or mother. Whichever fits best. 
 
                "Noona, why do you look so flustered? Or maybe..." he trailed off. I looked at him curiously, waiting for him to continue. "You're blushing?" I stared at him wide-eye. He started laughing.
 
                "Who's the lucky guy?" he asked me, still smiling.
 
                "What do you mean?" 
 
                "I mean, who's the lucky guy who captured you're heart?" I didn't know he's poetic. I remembered his question and thought immediately of Hyukjae. I shook my head trying to remove the thoughts.
 
                "So there really is a guy. you started blushing again when I asked for a name" he said with a hint of teasing. I blushed again. Am I really inlove with him? The nerd, Lee Hyukjae? You have got to be kidding me right?
 
               "Noona" I looked at him, his face now serious. I forgot the last time I saw his serious face. "It seems you still haven't realize the extent of this situation. If you learn to accept your feelings for him, tell me. I'll do my best to help you in whatever way I can" I feel my tears welling up in my eyes. This is the first time in a long while that someone supported me in doing something. 
 
               "Thank you" I told him as a tear escape my eyes. He wiped it with his thumb. I was oblivious of the glares of my classmates.
 
               When I was finally calm and the teacher entered the classroom, I threw him a paper with my number in it. This teacher doesn't care if people text in his class. Then I received a text.
 
               Fr: Unknown
               To: Donghae-noona
 
               'What's up?'
 
               Fr: Donghae
               To: kyuhyun
 
               'Why are you so nice to me?' I asked straight-forward. 
 
              *I'm tired of putting 'To' and 'Fr'
 
               'I told you before, I want to be your friend. And as a friend I want to support you no matter what'
 
               'I see. Do you want something in return then?'
 
               'A bunny' I looked at him and I saw him smirk. I see, so he likes Sungmin too! How can I be so oblivious? Well, I've always been oblivious.
 
               'Do you want her schedule?'
 
               'I can do it on my own noona. I don't want to go through the backdoor' I smiled at this. 
 
               'Ok then. I'll support you no matter what. Thank you again' And that's the end of our conversation. 
 
               We walked together to our next class. We were met by Hyukjae and Sungmin. I blushed when I saw Hyukjae while Sungmin blushed as she saw Kyuhyun. They already have a mutual understanding. I'm so happy for you Sungmin!
 
               We took our seats. The rest of the day was uneventful. I did my usual routine and went home with Sungmin and Hyukjae beside me.
 
               The next day, however, was different. Not just different, it was disastrous. The moment I stepped inside the school grounds, I got this weird glares from the guards. I shrugged it off and went to my usual spot.
 
               I saw Leeteuk already there. "Goodmorning" I greeted her but she just stared at me. This confused me. She stood up and sighed. 
 
               "Answer me honestly, are you or are you not dating Kyuhyun?" she asked me. The question caught me off guard. Why in the wold would I date someone who I consider as a brother. I shook my head.
 
               "Are you sure?" she asked me again.
 
               "Yes, I'm sure. Where did that come from?" 
 
               "Rumor. I suggest you to be careful. The  Stars group has a number of fans and they are not happy to know that one of us is dating a nobody" she replied coldly.
 
               "But we're not really dating!" I tried to justify.
 
               She sighed. "I don't think anybody would believe that. Be careful ok?" she patted my shoulder and walked away.
 
               I immediately called Sungmin. Good thing she answered.
 
              "I heard you were dating Kyuhyun. Congratulations" Is she crying? Oh dear... I know she has a thing for Kyuhyun.
 
              "Sungmin we're not-"
 
              "Everyone in school already knows about it. So why bother denying?"
 
              "Sungmin, it's not what you think"
 
              "I'm hanging up now. I need to prepare for school"
 
              "Wait, Sungmin!" she hang up. What am I gonna do now? I sat down and hugged my knees, my phone still in my hand.
 
              "Donghae?" I looked up and I saw a pair of legs standing in front of me. The figure bent down and I saw Hyukjae in front of me. "Why are you crying?" I hugged him and started crying in his arms. I've known Sungmin for a couple of weeks but it felt like years to me. I already consider her as my best friend but I feel like I betrayed her.
 
              When I was finally calm, Hyukjae wiped my tears with his thumbs. "So tell me, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Should I tell him? 
 
              'Tell him' Dad?
 
              I sighed. "Do you know the rumor?" he looked surprise then nodded. "Do you believe it?" he hesitated to answer. I sighed again. "It's not true. But Sungmin... she thinks otherwise. She doesn't believe me" I felt myself crying again but I try to suppress it.
 
              He hugged me once more and I feel myself blushing. "I'll help convince her. We'll find a way. Don't cry anymore okay?" his voice was calming. I feel myself drift into wonderland. "Let's go to class now ok?" I nodded.
 
              "Hey" someone called. I turned my head to see Yesung. He walked towards us and sat beside me.
 
              "Goodmorning" Hyukjae and I greeted. Gosh this is so awkward. 
 
              "I know about the rumor, I also heard your conversation" I gasped. I looked at the grass, not wanting to make eye contact with him. "I'll take you two to class. I called Teukie-umma and she said she'll be here in a moment" Hyukjae and I exchanged glances of confusion.
 
A/N: And so.. Classes started again and I can't update as much as before so sorry! -.- but don't worry, I'll update as soon as I can! :))