[7]

Something Borrowed

 

                “S-soojung?” She stuttered.

                “Yes, your twin sister.”

                “She’s...she’s busy nowadays.”

                “Oh...” She felt a bit of sadness in his reply. “You know, I think your sister is the truest friend that I have.” She felt a pang in her heart because of what she heard. I’m not a true friend anymore when you know the truth. I’m not being honest to you right now. “Since I’m a popular guy in school, I don’t really know who my true friends are and who are not. But with your sister, I’m sure she’s a true one. I can see sincerity in her when she helps me and even just when she talks to me. I don’t know if it’s just because I’m her best friend’s brother but every action of her is sincere.”

                “It’s not because you’re her best friend’s brother. It’s because you are you.”

                He smiled. “I hope so.” Again there was silence. “I wonder what would happen to me now.”

                “What do you mean?”

                “I was scouted by a university for my soccer skills. They’ll give me a full scholarship but being blind right now, I don’t know if I’ll be able to go to that university.”

                “There’s still a big chance that you can see again. Be positive.”

                “Aish~ this big eyes of mine. They’re big and yet they’re useless. All they cause me are teasing from other people.”

                “What’s wrong with them? I like them.”

                “Really?”

                “Uhuh.”

                Again, he smiled widely at her.

 

________________________

 

                “Here. Wear this.” Soojung put an eye shield on Minho.

                “Krystal, what is this? Where are we?”

                “Oh, and this too.” Soojung handed him a ball. Minho felt that the ball was a soccer ball.

                “Why are you giving this to me?”

                “Don’t you want to play? I know you miss playing soccer. Come with me.” She dragged him. “Here are your teammates.” She introduced him to the other players who were also blind.

                “Krystal, I can’t do this.” He whispered to her.

                “Why? Last time I check you were the school’s soccer superstar.”

                “I can’t see.”

                “All of you can’t see. Use your other senses. Just listen to my voice, I’ll guide you. Okay?”

                He just nodded at her. The game began. Minho’s moves were hesitant at first since he’s not used to playing soccer without his vision. As the game progresses, he began to relax and follow Soojung’s voice. Then he was enjoying the game and was showing his winning skills in playing the sport. The game ended and even though their team didn’t win, Minho was really happy being able to play his beloved sport again.

                “You’re happy?” Soojung asked. She and Minho were now lying on the field under the night sky.

                “Yes.” He smiled widely. “And it’s all because of you. Thank you.” He got up a little and kissed her swiftly on the cheek. She was dumbfounded. She was so happy that he kissed her. “Thank you for guiding me. Thank you for being with me.”

                “I told you, I’ll always be here. Anything more you want to do? Tell me. ~nan neoui genieyah, ggumiyah, genieyah~” She jokingly sang the last part. They both laugh.

                “Well, since you started singing already. Please sing for me, genie.”

                “Uhm...sorry but that’s one thing this genie can’t do.”

                “Please...” He showed his aegyo.

                “Fine. Fine. But don’t blame me if your eardrums would be damaged because of my voice.”

                He didn’t say anything. She started to sing. Minho smiled thinking how can she say she can’t sing when she has a very beautiful voice. The most beautiful to his ears.

 

________________________

 

                “Good evening, Sir. Welcome to...” Onew greeted the person who entered his chicken chain. “Minho! I haven’t seen you for awhile. Come in.” Onew lead Minho to an empty table. “What do you want to eat?”

                “Give me one of your chicken tofu special, hyung.”

                “Okay. I’ll get it done right now.”

                “Hyung, where’s Soojung? I haven’t talked to her for awhile now.”

                “Soojung? She’s in the kitchen. I’ll call her.”

                “Yah, Soojung. Minho’s outside looking for you. He said he hasn’t talked to you for awhile now. But you were seeing him every day, right?” Luna said. She overheard Onew and Minho’s conversation.

                “Y-yes.”

                “There’s something you’re not telling me.” Luna eyed her suspiciously.

                “It’s a long story. I’ll tell you all about it.”

                “Okay, I’ll be waiting for that. For now, give him his order and talk to him.” Luna handed the platter to Soojung and pushed her out of the kitchen.

                “Chicken Tofu Special.” Soojung placed the plate in front of Minho.

                “Soojung, can you accompany me for awhile? I’ve already told Onew hyung that you’ll take a break.”

                “Sure.” She took the seat across him.

                “Here. I brought you something.” He put a plastic bag on the table and pulled out a bungeoppang. He took off the head and tail part and gave it to Soojung.

                “Thank you.”

                “I came from the hospital to have a checkup. Since I’m already out, I decided to visit you. How are you?”

                They chatted for awhile then Soojung went back to her work since customers were increasing in quantity. Minho decided to wait for Soojung and walk her home. Soojung was tired with the big number of customers that her legs almost gave out on her while they were walking. Minho insisted on giving her a piggy back ride. She refused at first but a persistent Minho is really relentless. He even said that he’d be her feet while she can be his eyes.

                “I told I was from the hospital, right?”

                “Yes.”

                “Well, the doctors gave me a good news.”

                “Really?”

                “Yes. They said I could have my surgery two days from now and my vision would be back.”

                What?

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

sorry for any mistakes...

thank you for reading...=)

 

 

faeriecrownprincess ~ i like it too though i don't have a copy of it yet