Chapter 1

RESTART
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Welcome!

Make sure to read my notes below :)

 

***

 

Wendy's eyelids twitched as she slowly regained consciousness. When she opened her eyes, the sheer brightness in the room hit her mercilessly, almost blinding her! She wanted to get up, turn off the light, and catch on to her sleep, but the harsh pounding in her head and slight discomfort in her chest prevented her from getting up. Then she realized she was lying on a carpeted floor. 'Why am I on the floor?' She thought to herself.

 

She vaguely remembered sitting behind her work table last night, fingers furiously typing and mind trying to come up with ideas for her novel. She hadn't slept for two days and only relied on coffee and packed noodles to survive. It was an occurrence whenever the deadline was approaching.

 

Wendy closed her eyes again due to the severe pounding in her head. Unconsciously, she touched the back of her head and felt something on her fingers. When she brought her hand to her eyes, she saw a stain of red on her fingers, and she shivered with fear.

 

'Blood? Did I hit my head with something??'

 

While wondering what had happened to herself, she suddenly heard a loud cry from her side.

 

“Mommy wuwu! Mommy wuwuwuuu!”

There was a child not too far away from her, and she just realized it now!

 

The child kept wailing, and Wendy got even more confused. 'Wait … It isn't my room! I don't have a carpeted floor.' She finally realized something was wrong. Propping her body with her hands, she tried to sit with difficulty before directing her gaze to the child—a young child, who she assumed was probably around 4 or 5 years old. The child became even more frightened when she saw Wendy staring at her. Hitting the door again, the child kept wailing and calling for her mother.

 

"Hey, hey, don't cry."

 

Being the kind person she was, she wanted to comfort the child. Unfortunately, when she attempted to move, her chest thundered violently. Biting her lips, Wendy grasped her chest over her shirt. 'Was the coffee too strong??' She remembered she gulped three cans of coffee last night to stay awake.

 

‘.’

 

She felt her consciousness about to slip away, but before she could do anything, the pain suddenly subsided. Just like how it hit her without warning, the pain stopped abruptly. Wendy her dry lips in relief before looking back at the crying child. Crawling, she tried to get closer to the crying child, but it only made the latter cry louder.

 

"Wuuwuu, don't hit Lily!" The child shielded her head with her little arms and cowered further to the wall, trying to avoid Wendy.

 

"Auntie won't hurt Lily." Wendy coaxed after gaining the child's name. "Where is your moth-"

 

BANG!

 

Suddenly the door pushed harshly from outside, and what happened next was beyond her imagination. Two women strode inside. One was shorter than the other. The shorter woman quickly secured the crying child in her arms. Meanwhile, the taller woman pulled Wendy up by her collar and was about to hit her, but the shorter woman stopped.

 

"Joy, don't!"

 

"But Unnie-"

 

"Don't!" The shorter woman reprimanded again. "Take Lily outside. Close the door."

 

Joy snorted before pushing Wendy's body and making her fall on her . Then she took over the crying child and left the room with a bang.

 

...

 

Silence.

 

Only Wendy and the shorter woman were inside the room, but the atmosphere was tense. To make it worst, Wendy didn't know who this pretty woman was. The woman dressed in a crisp working suit reminded her of those fictional rich female leads. Wendy was a novelist, so her brain instantly worked on a new story prompt, even in a difficult situation!

 

"Did you hit Lily?!"

 

Wendy was shocked by the harsh yelling directed at her, and she quickly shook her head. She didn't hit the child and would never hurt any!

 

Suddenly the woman opened her purse, fished a few dollars, and threw them to Wendy's face. Blinking her eyes, the young novelist stared at the woman confusedly with her bright, innocent eyes.

 

"Not enough?! Where's the money I gave you last week? You gambled it all again?!"

 

'Gamble?' Wendy was a law-abiding citizen who would never do such things!

 

"I-"

 

The woman was b in anger when she coldly said, "Get up."

 

Somehow, Wendy knew not to mess around with this pretty woman and quickly stood on her feet. Her body swayed slightly.

 

SLAP!

 

Without warning, the woman slapped her hard. Really hard that Wendy almost out again!

 

"When will you pull yourself together?! Lily is just a child! Using her to get money from me is beyond low!" The woman spat in anger. Her gaze was full of hatred toward the young novelist.

 

Wendy felt wronged by the woman's accusation. She didn't know any of them, and this woman brazenly slapped her! Holding her stinging cheek, she tried to defend herself, "Miss ... Mam, I'm sorry, but you must've been mistaken. I never-"

 

"Miss?"

 

The woman scoffed at the pronoun before laughing hollowly and jabbed her index finger at Wendy's chest. "Trying to use the divorce issue to pressure me again? Listen to me, you scumbag. It's not up to you but me! Do you think I'm afraid to divorce you?!"

 

'Whoaa. What?! This pretty woman is crazy! When did I marry her??' Wendy thought to herself.

 

"Get out of my house! My lawyer will send you the divorce paper!"

 

Seeing Wendy didn't move as she wished, the woman lost her temper again. "Go somewhere with the money I gave you and wait for the paper! Live on the street for all I care! Never step into my house again!"

 

"Miss, I don't need your money. I'm not a beggar!" Wendy defended herself. She was a very successful novelist.

 

"Not a beggar? Then go! Go and see if you can find a place to sleep tonight!"

 

"Fine, I'll go!"

 

Wendy hoped she wouldn't encounter the crazy woman ever again in her life. What kind of weird situation is this? She thought.

 

She opened the door and found Joy staring fiercely at her with Lily in her arms. "Don't even think of coming back here again! Or I'll beat you up!"

 

Wendy shook her head. 'As if! Everyone is crazy here!'

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter