Chapter 3

RESTART
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italic = inner thought.

 

***

 

"Please help me!" Wendy bowed her head on the floor. She was really desperate. Probably she was the most hopeless person in this universe! "I'll do anything. I'll do all the house chores every day. I'll massage your calf whenever you are tired! I'll cook for you! You can treat me as your slave."

 

Yerim didn't budge and retained her stance. She was immune to the older girl's words after seeing the latter in this same situation many times. "If you refuse to leave, I'll call the police!"

 

Seeing the situation wasn't in her friend's favor, Seulgi, who stood beside Wendy, quickly down to her knees too. "This is our mother's old watch. It should be enough to cover her stay for at least a month!" She unclasped her watch, the only valuable good she owned, and put it on the floor. "Please help Wendy. If she doesn't keep her word, I-I'll be responsible and move out if you want me to!"

 

The young woman glared at her sister, who always sided with her scumbag friend. "Kang Seulgi, when will you learn? Open your damn eyes! I'm your sister, but you still choose her over me??"

 

"I-I …"

 

Seulgi was in a tough situation. She was torn between her friend and her sister. It's not that she favors her friend over her sister, but she already considers Wendy her family. The one who accompanied her since birth! Hell … their birthdays are even 11 days apart. If that's not fate, then what is it? Wendy might've deceived her many times, but she had a gut feeling that her friend would keep her word this time.

 

On the other hand, Wendy felt uneasy about how the event turned out to be. She didn't want to ruin the siblings' relationship. Yes, she desperately needed help, but if she kept going, what was the difference between her and the original owner then? Would she be happy if she broke the sisters' newly mended relationship for her own benefit?

 

The young novelist shook her head and put her hand over Seulgi's shoulder. "You should listen to your sister."

 

"But Wendy!"

 

"I'll go to the nearby park tonight. Could you drive me there?"

 

"You're going to sleep at the park?? No, no! It's not safe!" Seulgi's eyes were full of concerns. "Let me ask my boss if I can borrow some money. I'll rent a room for you to sleep in tonight!" Seulgi pulled out her phone and frantically looked for her boss's contact.

 

Wendy put her palm over her friend's phone, effectively blocking the screen. "Don't do that. I don't want you to lose your job because of me. I'll be fine, really."

 

Honestly, she wasn't sure as she just came to this universe. She knew nothing! But she'd say anything to stop this gullible friend from moving a mountain just to help her. The original owner really didn't deserve this Kang Seulgi's loyalty!

 

Yerim, who watched them on the side, pinched her nose impatiently. Then she heard thunder roaring in the sky. It would be raining soon, and she knew there wasn't any place for Wendy to shield herself from the rain in the nearby park.

 

As much as she wanted Wendy to just die under the cold rain, she still had a heart, and maybe that's why she shared the same blood with Seulgi. Both siblings are softhearted, although on a different level. Moreover, Wendy seemed different tonight.

 

'Is she really suffering from amnesia?? But even if she really is suffering from it, would her personality change this rapidly?' Yeri thought to herself.

 

The old Wendy would never back down and wouldn't hesitate to threaten the younger woman to get what she wanted, but this Wendy didn't. One can see that this Wendy had a different aura. Somewhat a little less evil and oddly submissive? But how could that happen??

 

Taking her mother's precious old watch from the floor, Yerim said sternly, "Just for tonight. I want her to leave tomorrow."

 

The two childhood friends were startled. They looked at each other with surprise in their eyes.

 

Putting her head on the floor again, Wendy wholeheartedly said, "Th-thank you so much!"

 

Well, a night is better than nothing!

 

 

Soon the rain was pouring hard from the sky, creating a loud noise outside the tiny apartment room. Certainly, Wendy wouldn't survive if she wandered at the park tonight.

 

Yerim didn't want to see Wendy any longer, so after finishing her dinner, she locked herself in her room. Meanwhile, Seulgi was busy taking a freshly washed blanket from her drawer.

 

The young novelist roamed her eyes around the apartment. It was indeed a tiny one-bedroom apartment. Even smaller than Wendy's apartment in her real world.

 

"Where do you usually sleep?" she asked after a while.

 

"Right here. This is my room." Seulgi pointed to where they were standing. The small living room could only accommodate a two-seat old couch, a 21-inch TV monitor, and a small wooden drawer in the corner.

 

"Here? On the couch??"

 

Seulgi nodded with a smile on her face. "Unlike its worn-out appearance, the couch is very comfortable. Besides, I still can't afford to rent a room on my own."

 

The other woman then excitedly explained everything to Wendy. "That brown door is Yerim's room. We can't enter. Over there is our tiny kitchen, but it has all the useful appliances. Well, Yerim and I never use it. We prefer to buy a takeout meal because none of us can cook to save our lives. Can you believe that?? *laughs* The bathroom is beside the small balcony over there. That's it! Welcome to our humble apartment!"

 

Very humble indeed.

 

"You can sleep on the couch tonight." Seulgi patted the old yellowish couch while holding the folded blanket. "I'll take the floor."

 

"What? No! You sleep on the couch. I'm fine on the floor!"

 

"Wendy, you never slept on the floor before! What if you get sick??"

 

"There's always a first for everything. You sleep on the couch tonight." This body has to learn to adapt! Spoiled princess no more! Wendy thought with an absolute fire in her eyes.

 

"But-"

 

"Kang Seulgi, let your friend taste the hardship, okay?"

 

"Okay … But why are you talking in the third person?"

 

"... Side effect of amnesia."

 

"Oh." Seulgi scratched her head. Is there really something like that??

 

The young novelist quietly took the folded blanket from Seulgi's hand and then spread it on the floor. Ever since her career as a novelist soared, she never had to sleep on the floor anymore. But here, in this universe, she really had to restart her life again from the bottom!

 

Seeing her friend was firm with her decision, Seulgi sat on the couch obediently. "Tomorrow, I'll beg Yerim again to let you stay for another night."

 

"No! Don't do that. Instead of begging her, can you help me find a job? How about the restaurant where you work?" Wendy asked as she settled on the floor. "If I can earn money, I think your sister will let me stay longer."

 

Seulgi snapped her fingers. "You're right! Wait, let me text my boss. I remember she's looking for ground staff. But do you mind doing such jobs?"

 

"What's wrong with being a ground staff? Besides, I'm not in a position to choose. I'm fine with anything as long as I can earn money."

 

"Alright then!"

 

When Seulgi texted her boss, Wendy rolled her sleeves and went to wash the dishes. Since only 2 people were coliving in this tiny apartment and they rarely cooked, the work was done in only 5 minutes.

 

"You-you washed the dishes?" Seulgi was shocked. She went to check the newly washed plates and cups. Everything was perfectly cleaned, completed with a shine on their edges!

 

"I promised your sister, didn't I? Can I take a bath now? I smelled like a dried fish."

 

"Yes, of course! You can use my stuff in the yellow basin." Seulgi walked to her small drawer and pulled out a worn-out sweater and trousers for Wendy to wear.

 

"Thank you, my friend."

 

"Wow, I just realized you've been thanking my sister and me a lot. More than you did in the past!"

 

"I was stupid, but the new me knows how to appreciate others."

 

*laughs* "Nice. I like the new you better!"

 

"That's good then."

 

Wendy received the clothes gratefully and went to the bathroom to shower. She mindfully used Seulgi's stuff and cleaned herself before washing her clothes by hand.

 

Feeling refreshed, she settled back on the floor and looked at Seulgi with hope in her eyes. "Any news from your boss?"

 

Seulgi turned to her and excitedly explained, "Mrs. Jang said you can come with me tomorrow. The job mainly involves cleaning the place, washing dishes, and helping around the restaurant. You may need to attend the trial for a week. If everything is up to Mrs. Jang's standard, you'll get to work 10 hours a day from 11 AM to 9 PM with a $5 wage per hour, $300 per week, and free lunch+dinner at the restaurant. You can get 1 day off every Sunday. What do you think?"

 

The young novelist quickly nodded her head. "Perfect!" Even though it wasn't much, it was better than nothing!

 

Seulgi laughed because of her friend's enthusiasm. She never thought that Wendy could be this spirited when discussing work. In the past, her friend would always dismiss her whenever she talked about looking for a job. Wendy reasoned that she was wealthy enough to feed herself for the rest of her life. Well, yes, until she ed her own life. "Alright! Let's sleep now. Tomorrow will be a long day for us!"

 

**

 

The next day, before the clock hit 9 AM, Seulgi had dragged Wendy out of her shared apartment. They stopped at a clinic to treat the wound on Wendy's head. The young novelist refused at first. She didn't feel it was necessary and didn't want to use her friend's money, but Seulgi was insistent. Her friend even tried to bring her to a big hospital for an MRI, but Wendy stopped the latter. She promised that she'll do it when she earned enough money.

 

 

After the short trip to the clinic, Seulgi drove Wendy to the restaurant to meet Mrs. Jang. Seulgi quickly excused herself to get ready, leaving Wendy alone with Mrs. Jang.

 

The old woman explained that she was indeed looking for ground staff, but she wasn't in a hurry. However, Seulgi sounded so desperate over the phone, and she even put herself as a guarantee, so Mrs. Jang accepted the young novelist to do a trial for a week.

 

Hearing this, once again, Wendy felt touched by Seulgi's kindness. At this moment, she regarded the latter as her best friend for life!

 

 

After changing into the restaurant's uniform, in no time, Wendy was armed with a broom and dustpan in her hands. These are her ultimate weapon. She swept the whole restaurant from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor and then proceeded to mop the floor, wipe the tables, and even the restaurant's door before washing the piled dishes. She worked diligently without complaining, which made Seulgi proud. Mrs. Jang was also satisfied with the new worker's work ethic.

 

Since the restaurant's location was at the center of an industrial area, the restaurant was bustling with patrons around midday. Hungry workers queueing outside, and Wendy, who had just finished scrubbing the restroom floor, immediately called to help serve the orders. She worked without resting until Seulgi called her to have lunch. The young novelist ate quickly before going back to her job. She had a pile of dishes to wash, after all!

 

 

Finally, the working hours were about to end in an hour. Only a few patrons dining inside the restaurant, so Wendy could take a breather at the corner. She felt her back was stiff and her shoulders a bit painful. She had never done this much physical work before, but she was thankful. She'd do anything to earn money!

 

After closing the restaurant for the day, Mrs. Jang called Wendy and told her that she didn't need to do a week's trial. The old woman was very satisfied with her work today so starting tomorrow she'd be officially working as a ground staff. After signing the contract, Mrs. Jang gave her a box of leftovers and $ 50 as her fee for today. Wendy gratefully accepted everything and promised she would work diligently.

 

 

The ride back to the apartment was quiet. Wendy closed her eyes the moment she settled in the car. Feeling drowsy after all the hard work today.

 

When they arrived at the apartment complex, Wendy pushed all her salary into Seulgi's hand.

 

"What is this for?"

 

"You exchanged your watch for my stay last night. This is to take back your watch." Wendy urged Seulgi to take the money.

 

"Don't worry about it. My watch is safe with Yerim. You need this money more than me." Seulgi pushed the money back into Wendy's hand. "Buy some soap and inner garment with it. There's a small shop open 24 hours on the first floor."

 

Wendy wanted to weep in her seat. She felt Seulgi was an angel sent from above!

 

"You're really a good friend."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter