Chapter 14

RESTART
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italic = Inner thoughts.

 

***

 

Wendy was in the middle of a meeting with Yujin and Eunbi when Irene called her. A call from the older woman only meant one thing, urgency, so the young novelist told herself to always pick up the woman's call regardless of her situation. She even set a special ringtone for Irene's call.

 

"Yujin, I have to pick up this call. Do you mind?"

 

"No. You can go back. I only have a few things left to discuss with miss editor," Yujin pointed to Eunbi, who pouted in her seat. After a tiresome meeting, she also wanted to return to her cubicle but was held back by Yujin.

 

"Thanks!"

 

 

The young novelist answered the call as soon as she stepped out of the meeting room. "Hello, Irene? Hmm … Yes, I can send Lily to daycare today."

 

"Oh? You'll have overtime? Then, is it okay if I bring her to my apartment?" Wendy passed her fellow writers' cubicles before arriving at hers. Nervously rounding her table to sit on her seat, she added, "I can cook dinner for her and … and play with her."

 

"Oh … "Her face brightened after hearing Irene's answer. "I'll wait for you to pick her up later tonight. See you later, Irene!"

 

Wendy disconnected the call with a big smile on her face. Irene had agreed to let Lily stay at her apartment later. It was something revolutionary! She was delighted that the older woman finally trusted her a little more to take care of Lily.

 

"Hmm, what should I cook tonight? Maybe, curry rice? I'll need to confirm with Irene first."

 

Humming a random song, she her monitor and saw the last window she had opened. A website selling used cars. These days, she has been thinking about buying a used car. She thought it would help her commute efficiently, especially if she wanted to bring Lily with her. While they can catch a taxi or ride any public transportation, she wanted to ensure the young child's comfort.

 

Since she had submitted her drafts to Eunbi this morning for editing, she had some idle time until lunchtime.

 

"Let's see if I can find something within my budget today."

 

 

As soon as the clock hit 1:00 PM, Wendy dashed out from her cubicle. She almost bumped into Eunbi, who was about to knock on her door.

 

"Oh, are you going somewhere?"

 

Her team planned to eat at a famous sushi restaurant on the other side of the city to celebrate Arin's birthday.

 

"Ah, yes! I have to pick up Lily now. I'll apologize to Arin."

 

The young editor tilted her head and offered kindly, "Well, we can wait for you and Lily."

 

"No, no need to wait for me," Wendy replied while shaking her head. "After lunch, I need to drop her at the daycare, so better to have lunch nearby."

 

"Daycare? Why don't you bring her to play at the kid's corner like the last time?"

 

"Well, Irene told me to send Lily to the daycare today." Wendy glanced at her watch." Ah, I have to go now. Enjoy your lunch!"

 

"You too. Be careful on your way!"

 

Eunbi crossed her arms while looking at the young novelist's small but reliable back. She wondered if the woman's marriage was really on the verge of falling out because it seemed to her they were totally fine with each other. Furthermore, Wendy still listened well to Irene's demands even though she said, they were on bad terms.

 

Is it because of Lily? Eunbi wondered. If so, she really does her best to make the child not affected by her marriage's problem.

 

Sighing, she further told herself, this is why you should stop getting attached to bad girls, Kwon Eunbi! You need to marry someone as reliable as Wendy.

 

 

After sending Lily to daycare, Wendy returned to her office before everyone else returned. Sitting straight on her chair, she immediately worked on her shared project with fellow writers. She was once a workaholic in her real world, and the habit was also brought into this universe.

 

Usually, she would continue working in her apartment after office hours. But today was an exception because her daughter would visit her apartment for the first time. Just thinking of spending time with Lily made her especially happy. With a blooming smile, she sent a message to the group chat.

 

To: Everyone

Is curry rice safe for Lily?

 

From: user Irene

Yes. She likes curry rice.

 

To: Everyone

How about you?

 

From: user Irene

I have no problem.

 

From: user Joy

Excuse me. I have a problem here 🤨

Are you going to have dinner at her apartment, Unnie? Why??

 

From: user Irene

I'm working overtime today, so Lily will stay with Wendy until I'm done.

I'll pick Lily up at her apartment later.

 

From: user Joy

You should've asked me to pick up Lily! Why her??

 

From: user Irene

You're sick, Joy.

 

From: user Joy

I can still take care of my niece!

 

From: user Joy

I'm calling you. Pick up my call, Unnie!

 

From: user Irene

Can't. I'm about to deliver a presentation.

 

Wendy sighed after reading the messages in the group chat. Joy was still harboring hate toward her. Compared to Irene, Joy still treated her coldly. Even colder these days. The younger woman was like an evil stepmother who disliked her daughter's lover!

 

 

When Wendy was about to send her draft to Sunkyu, she heard her cubicle's door being knocked on from outside.

.

"Come in."

 

Eunbi appeared behind the door with a paper bag in her hands. "We stopped at a bakery before going back. I bought some cute bunny cupcakes for Lily."

 

"Oh, thank you! Lily likes bunnies." Wendy accepted the cupcakes happily. Already imagining Lily's delighted squeal in her mind.

 

"I know, she told me." Eunbi laughed. "So you're going to pick her up later from daycare and then head home?"

 

"Yes. So, I can't work overtime today. Is that okay?" Wendy was actually planning to work overtime at the office today, but after Irene called her, she decided to go home early with Lily.

 

"Of course. You have submitted your draft. The whole 15 chapters." Eunbi laughed before jokingly adding, "Thanks to you, I have more work now."

 

"I'll buy you breakfast tomorrow. As a thank you for these cupcakes and for letting me go home early."

 

"Awesome!" Eunbi was pleased. "I want a coffee latte with almond milk, please."

 

"Your usual order. I have memorized it." Wendy gave a dimpled smile while pointing to her temple. It was the smile that once made Eunbi head over heels for her. "Would you like a tuna sandwich? I saw you had it for breakfast a few days ago."

 

"Eunbi?" Wendy waved her hand in front of a dazed Eunbi. "Do you prefer something else?"

 

"O-oh, tuna sandwich is fine!" The younger woman said in embarrassment because Wendy's smile still affected her even after 5 years. She felt like she was transported back to the past when she saw Wendy for the first time in the auditorium. Smiling blindingly at Irene, who never glanced her way. Instead of capturing Irene's heart, her smile captured Eunbi's. What a plot twist!

 

"Okay then." Wendy took her notebook and asked, "I'm going to Yujin's cubicle now. Do you want to join us?"

 

"No. I've got enough of seeing her ugly face today," Eunbi replied bitterly. Being the only editor on the team, she had been tortured by the young leader for almost a week now.

 

"If she heard you say this, she's gonna give you more work." Having been working under Yujin for some time now, she understood the woman's character well.

 

"Let's see if she dares to!"

 

Chuckling, Wendy passed by the young woman and waved her hands to Sunkyu on her way. Meanwhile, Eunbi rested her back on the wall watching the young novelist.

 

Honestly, these days were less boring with Wendy here. Unlike the old Wendy, who treated her coldly most of the time, even when they dated, this Wendy was more chatty and easy to talk with. She felt that the older woman had really changed a lot.

 

She used to answer my question with one word, yes or no.

 

With a smile growing on her lips, Eunbi tapped her chin. "Is vanilla ice cream still her favorite? Maybe we can share a tube tomorrow." She thought to drop by her favorite ice cream shop later and buy a tube of vanilla ice cream. Vanilla was her favorite flavor, and as she remembered, Wendy was also a big fan of it.

 

**

 

Wendy's apartment. Living room.

 

"Mommy, can I play here?" Lily's round eyes wandered around the small apartment in

excitement. The young child had been expressing her wish to see where Wendy lived for some time now.

 

"Of course, Lily can play here. This is mommy's apartment," Wendy replied warmly before picking a plate from the small cabinet in her tiny kitchen to place the cupcakes. "These are from Aunt Eunbi. You can eat on the couch. Mommy will prepare your milk."

 

"Wah, bunnies!" Lily happily picked one and kissed it. "So cute!"

 

The young novelist laughed as she placed a cup of milk beside the plate. "Mommy will cook dinner. Can Lily play alone?"

 

"Uhm! Lily wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter