Chapter 4

RESTART
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italic = inner thoughts

 

**

 

Three days had passed since their meet-up, but still no news from Mr. Go. The waiting game was nerve-wracking, and Wendy started to regret her decision to challenge Irene, but what could she do? It was the only way to get the other woman to meet her. Otherwise, Wendy wouldn't be able to redeem the original owner's mistake and end up as a divorcee before she can do anything about it.

 

Sighing in her heart, Wendy continued sweeping the floor with a pitiful stance. Seulgi, who was counting the money beside her, patted her back in sympathy.

 

"She might be planning to kill you in many different ways at this moment. You made her work days and night to collect the settlement fund only to be rejected. If there's still no news from her lawyer until this weekend, what will you do? "

 

"I'll think about something. Please just continue counting the money. You skipped a few notes."

 

"Oops!"

 

After hearing her friend's words, Wendy felt even more guilty (and anxious). Even though it wasn't her who tortured Irene before, she was the one who was forced to take responsibility. Isn't it unfair?

 

Feeling somewhat depressed by her situation, she swept the floor aggressively. Running from 1st to 2nd floor. Trying to alleviate her frustration with stress cleaning.

 

 

After sweeping and mopping the floor, the young novelist still felt restless, so she started helping in the kitchen. Chopping vegetables and meat diligently. The auntie beside her was surprised and thanked her for the help.

 

"Is there anything else to chop, Auntie?"

 

"No, no. You helped a lot. You can take a rest now, dear."

 

"Ah."

 

A bit disappointed, she huddled in the corner while hugging her knees. She looked relatively calm from the outside, but inside, she was distraught. There were a lot of what-ifs going on in her head.

 

Suddenly, her phone vibrated in her pocket. Looking at the caller id, she quickly accepted the call.

 

"Good morning, Mr. Go. H-how is it going?"

 

[ She rejected your request. ]

 

The young novelist exhaled. It was as expected.

 

"Have you told her I won't sign anything unless she meets me?"

 

[ Yes, and she said *ahem* … GO YOURSELF!! ]

 

Wendy's ears were ringing, and her heart picking up its rate. She didn't think Mr. Go would yell at her in such a high-pitched tone.

 

[I'm sorry. She wanted me to relay her answer as it is. ]

 

"I understand," Wendy gloomily replied. "But I'm not going to change my mind."

 

[ Mrs. Bae, why did you make things harder for yourself and her? Everything is up to your request. Isn't it more convenient to accept and move on with your life? ]

 

"Mr. Go, I've told you I want to redeem my mistakes. I want to pay the money I took from her and be a good mother to Lily. ]

 

[ She said she doesn't want the money nor you to do anything for her or Lily. She just wanted you to sign the divorce paper. ]

 

"I'll sign the paper if she agrees to meet me. She can bring anyone she trusts if she doesn't feel safe meeting me alone. Please let her know that."

 

[ Mrs. Bae … ]

 

"I'm sorry, I'm working now. Please call me again if she agrees. Thank you, Mr. Go. Have a good day."

 

Sighing quietly, Wendy put her phone back into her pocket before eyeing a sack of potatoes. She felt terrible after pressuring Irene like this. The woman only wanted her freedom and to move on with her life, but she denied it. If she didn't remember the punishment awaiting from The Holy God, she would sign the paper right away and let her go!

 

Taking the sack of potatoes, she started peeling them to relieve her guilty feeling.

 

 

Later at night, in Kang's shared apartment.

 

Wendy was doing the laundry when Seulgi shouted that someone named Mr. Go calling her. She didn't expect that Irene would succumb to her demand this fast. It seemed the other woman wanted to get a divorce as soon as possible.

 

Almost tripped by the rag on the floor, Wendy quickly accepted the call. "Yes, Mr. Go?"

 

[ She agreed to meet you but wants me to accompany her. ]

 

"Yes! Yes, no problem!"

 

[ Mrs. Bae, please know that she's really furious right now. I hope you mind your words when you meet her. ]

 

Gulping, Wendy nodded until she realized that she was on the phone.

 

"I understand. When should we meet?"

 

[ This Sunday. Same place, same time as we met before. ]

 

"Got it. Thank you, Mr. Go."

 

Tututu

 

Wendy walked back and forth on the balcony while biting her nails nervously. Calm down, Wendy. Calm down. If she slaps you again, just grit your teeth and accept it!

 

"Did she finally agree to meet you?" Seulgi appeared with a bitten apple in her hand.

 

"Yeah. This Sunday."

 

"Oh …. May the force be with you then. She developed quite a temper after marrying you." Her friend raised her apple in sympathy before walking away.

 

"It can't be that bad, right?" Wendy's face paled as she imagined the wrath of the petite woman.

 

 

Sitting in the corner with a laptop on her lap, Wendy typed everything she wanted to say to Irene. She could shove the paper into the woman if she suddenly lose her ability to speak in the presence of Irene.

 

After an hour of struggling and whining in the corner, which raised a suspicious glance from Yerim, Wendy finally completed her speech.

 

In the end, she wanted to propose an agreement letter to Irene. Wendy, who was previously a novelist in her real world, was very familiar with the written agreement between a writer and its publisher. She hoped that it would give a sense of security for Irene. Well, she wasn't sure how things would work between her and Irene, but it should be fine since Mr. Go would be there with them. She felt the man understood her even though they had only met once.

 

**

 

In the blink of an eye, it was already Sunday afternoon.

 

Inside a cafe, a young woman dressed in a white shirt was sitting beside a middle-aged man, and they seemed engaged in a serious discussion.

 

"Losing her memories? Mr. Go, please don't be swayed by her words. She's a woman with thousand tricks under her sleeves. She might leave a good impression on you because you only met her once. But I'm different. I know her very well, so please prepare the divorce paper. I want her to sign it today."

 

"I understand, Mrs. Bae," Mr. Go replied calmly while pulling out a brown folder from his bag. He respected Irene's wish. He didn't tell her he was surprised when he talked to Wendy last time. The woman didn't seem like an trickster. She could be pretending, but Mr. Go didn't detect any lies from her either. The lawyer had met a lot of people. He knew a liar by just seeing their face.

 

Meanwhile, Irene furrowed her brows deeply. She didn't want to meet Wendy, but she was forced to. Otherwise, she wouldn't be able to get her freedom. That useless wife of hers refused to sign the paper when everything was written up in her favor! To make it worse, Wendy even used Lily again to curry favor with Mr. Go, so how can she believe that the latter really lost her memories?

 

Saying that she wanted to be a responsible mother to their daughter was a big lie. Wendy never accepted Lily as her only blood-related family. Her wife was shocked when she learned the truth about Lily. She refused to take Lily, but Irene didn't have the heart to send back the young child to the orphanage. She took Lily under her care, which marked the start of their endless fight. B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter