Chapter 2

RESTART
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italic = inner thought

Please check my note below after reading this chapter :)

 

***

 

After contemplating how crazy her life was for 30 minutes on the side road, the so-called 'childhood friend' finally graces her presence in her old white car to save her day (maybe). From the rolled-down driver's window, Wendy saw her friend's face for the first time. 'Not bad', the young novelist thought in appreciation.

 

"What are you staring at? Get in!" The woman behind the wheels said irritatedly. So far, everyone that Wendy encountered in this universe was hostile towards her. She wouldn't be surprised if someone out there wanted her head!

 

Sighing quietly, the young novelist rounded the car and tried to open the passenger door, but to her dismay, it stuck.

 

"Umm, I can't open it."

 

"Why are you acting like this is your first time riding Umami? Kick the door!"

 

But this is my first time… "Okay, friend."

 

Even though the car was old and had scratches all over its body, Wendy was afraid that she would be charged for unreasonable repair fee. Hesitantly, she lifted her legs and kicked the door with very minimum strength.

 

Kret

 

The door squeaked a little, but still stuck!

 

"Kick harder!"

 

'Oh, it.' With all her might, Wendy kicked the door again, and finally, it cracked open.

 

 

Sitting uncomfortably inside the smelly car, Wendy awkwardly fastened her seatbelt. Obviously, she didn't feel safe inside. The car was on the verge of breaking down, and she wasn't even sure if the brake could function properly. In her real world, she died because of cardiac arrest. Would she die in a car accident here? Wendy cringed at the possibility. 'Let's hope this friend is a good driver, at least.'

 

Her friend frowned upon seeing how tightly she gripped the seatbelt but decided to shrug it off. "Are you hungry? I got some leftover fries in the backseat."

 

Food?? Wendy's stomach instantly growled. She gratefully reached for a bag of fries. Although the fries were already soggy and tasted somewhat weird, the young novelist was too hungry to care.

 

"Still good? I bought it three days ago."

 

Blarghh

 

The half-chewed fries burst out from Wendy's mouth.

 

"Eww, disgusting! Clean yourself!" Her friend threw a bag of tissues at her.

 

Wendy wanted to cry out of frustration, but she held herself.

 

"Are you really my friend?" she asked in doubt. "What's your name?"

 

The other woman turned her head in a flash, scaring the young novelist.

 

"Eyes on the road, please!" Wendy shouted in horror. They almost bumped into a road sign!

 

Her friend skillfully maneuvered the car before replying to her, "Wendy! I have 20 dollars in my pocket if you're that desperate for money. Take it. I don't care!"

 

The young novelist swallowed. She should've taken the money thrown at her by that pretty woman. 'Is it too late to go back?'

 

Wendy sighed. "Save your money for yourself, but I will appreciate it if you buy me some bread. I'm starving, and I have a lot of things to tell you."

 

Her friend snorted and pulled over at a mini-mart down the road. She bought two pieces of bread and two cans of coffee, but Wendy only took the bread, making her friend frown in confusion.

 

"Don't ask me for cigarettes. I'm too poor to afford a pack!" Her friend's face became dark, thinking that Wendy wanted to smoke.

 

"No, no cigarettes! This is fine. Bread is enough."

 

Wendy quickly unwrapped the freshly baked croissant and savored the taste. Very delicious! She even ate the crumbs left inside the bag. Seeing Wendy eating so eagerly, her friend hummed and threw another bag. The young novelist was thankful and vowed to return her friend's kindness one day!

 

Wendy burped after finishing two pieces of bread. 'I think I can live in this universe.' She thought with a satisfied smile on her face. Her standard of life was pretty simple. If the food is up to her taste, then she has no other worries.

 

"Now that I feed you well. What do you want to tell me?"

 

Under her friend's watchful eyes, she started her pitiful storytelling.

 

"I woke up on the floor with no memories of my past. I don't know who I am or anyone around me. Then, two women strode into the room. I was dumbfounded when this pretty woman accused me of hitting the child. I heard the taller woman is called Joy, and the child's name is Lily."

 

Wendy decided to make up a story of suffering from amnesia because who would believe her if she said she came from another world? The original owner's reputation in this universe was too ed up! Nobody would believe her words!

 

"You're kidding, right?"

 

"I'm not! I was confused when this Joy pulled my collar, and this Lily kid looked so frightened when she saw me staring at her, and this woman ... this pretty woman threw money at my face like I was some beggar before asking me to go. I was wandering on the side road until you called me."

 

"Liar! It's your new scheme to get more money from me, right? You always deceived me with your made-up stories, Wendy!" Her friend's cheeks reddened from anger. "One day, you told me Irene was about to deliver your second child. I was so frantic and sent you all the money I had. A few days later, I discovered that not even your neighbor's cat was pregnant! Besides, you are a woman! How could you impregnate Irene??"

 

'Are you stupid?' Wendy cried inwardly.

 

The original owner might be a crazy manipulative scumbag in this universe. Still, this friend of hers foolishly dug her own grave! Is there no sane person in this universe??

 

"I'm not eyeing your money. I just need you to tell me who I am and what foolishness I did to make people loathe me!"

 

Doubt filled her friend's eyes. "Did you really hit your head? I know your body is weak, but how bad is it that you can't control your strength and hit your head?" She must've seen the dried blood on Wendy's forehead.

 

"I told you I don't remember a thing! I must've hit my head with something before losing consciousness. When I woke up, I found myself laying on the floor with blood seeping from my head."

 

Her friend sighed while tapping her blunt nails on the steering wheels. "I knew your unbalanced diet and lack of exercise would kill you one day. You were lucky this time."

 

'Lucky? Your sorry- friend died miserably. Otherwise, why would they send me here to deal with all the mess she caused?' Wendy thought bitterly.

 

"Do you believe me now?"

 

"I still have some doubts, but as long as you don't ask me for money, I will believe you." Her friend nodded to herself. "So you don't know who I am?"

 

Wendy sighed in relief. At least someone in this universe believed her made-up story. It was a promising start! Although no wonder this friend was easily deceived by the original owner. This friend was too gullible!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter