Little Swan

A World Apart from Mine

"Okay, listen class. I've chosen the two who will join next week's "Fleur de Belle". Kim Jongin, and Miss Kim Miji. Wow, I didn't notice that you two have the same surname." your teacher said amused. The class roared with a "YIIIIIEEEEE" sound. You bowed your head in embarrassment. Kai laughed with his guy classmates.

.

Haha yeah that's right.

Class ended, and your teacher called the both of you.

"I expect that you help each other out during practices. The "Fleur de Belle" is not a joke. Miji, I know you're new here. "Fleur de Belle" is a competition for those most talented dancers in the field of ballet. Since I saw how graceful and refined you are in dancing, I chose you together with Jongin to compete with the other classes' students." she turned to Kai, "Now you, Jongin, are the most experienced male ballet dancer I know since you have been a student of mine since you were still a child so I am counting on you to do your best." she then tapped your shoulders. "Whoever wins this competition will be the ones starring in the annual ballet recital, and I would be more than happy if both of my students get the lead. Am I understood?" your teacher looked at the both of you. You felt lightened and inspired.

Yes, seonsaengnim is right. This will be a chance for me to pursue ballet more.

"Arasso, seonsaengnim. We will do our best." you pumped your fist at her. She smiled at you.

"Aigoo, I've always known you're a special girl the moment you walked into our class."

Yes, she sure is.

"Well then, I'll leave the two of you to talk about your preparations." with that, she left.


Kai and you have been spending almost all your free time practicing. Exo members would often complain about "Kai having you all to himself" while Minhae and Cho Young would complain about not seeing you enough nowadays. The girls really like to have some shopping moments with you, but you were held by the rehearsals. One day, Minhae called you.

"Yah Miji-ah! Where are you? Don't tell us you're still practicing?" she asked. Someone from the background was obviously ranting. Someone grabbed the phone.

"YAH! MIJI-AH! Stop practicing and meet as at the school's cafe! We're so bored here! Exo boys are playing basketball.. Please we're dying here!" Cho Young exclaimed. You couldn't help but laugh.

"Ne~ Kai and I will be there soon! Please wait for us~ Annyeong!" you ended the call and started to fix your things. Kai walked up to you.

"Ready to go?"

"Ne. Kajja!" you chimed happily. Though you were always tired, the thought of seeing Exo and Minhae and Cho Young always seemed to cheer you up. Kai and you made your way to the cafe.

"Yah Kai! Where's Miji-ah?" Chanyeol asked. Exo just finished a game of basketball. Luhan looked at Chanyeol and Kai.

"I left her with Minhae-noona and Cho Young. Waeyo?" Kai answered.

"Not fair! You always get most of her time and now the ladies got her! I hate this!" Sehun ranted like a child. Tao patted his back.

"Aish, it up Sehun-ah, we'll get to see her soon." Suho said. The rest of them went to the school's cafe and true enough, you, Minhae and Cho Young were there, chatting about girl things. You noticed Exo entering the cafe and waved at them. Sehun quickly ran towards your table. Lay sat beside Minhae and kissed her hair.

"Yah! You're sweaty Lay oppa!" she teased Lay while jokingly pushing him off of her. Lay smiled at her and hugged her waist. You smiled at the sight of the love birds. Cho Young fixed her hair as Luhan sat beside her. You looked at her suspiciously and smiled at her knowingly. She glared at you. You laughed.

"Ahh it's so nice to hear your voice again, Miji-ah." D.O. said. Everyone except Kai nodded.

"It's so unfair that you spend most of your free time with Kai. If I had known earlier, I should've enrolled myself in ballet class too." Sehun pouted beside you.

"Aigoo~ I'm here now Sehun oppa~" you cooed sweetly. He ruffled your hair.

"So, how's the preparation for next week?" Suho asked.

"Hmm.. Nothing new really, Kai and I just choreographed a song and practiced that. It's nothing new, really." you said flatly.

"I'm sure you'll still look good dancing "nothing new, really" whatever it is, Miji." Luhan said and smiled at you. You whacked his hand.

"Yah! I'm not joking around Luhan oppa~ I'm actually kinda scared. At least Kai's confident and he dances really well." you pouted. Kai smiled.

"I'll look forward to next week." Suho said.

"Me too."

"Yeah I want to see Miji-ah dance."

"I'm going to laugh at Kai." Chanyeol said. Kai glared at him but it made Chanyeol laugh even more.

"You'll do good, Miji-ah. We know you will." Xiumin and Chen gave you thumbs up. You smiled at their support.


Class hours during the day before the "Fleur de Belle", contestants were called in the school's auditorium to listen to reminders and some "change of plans". You just noticed that there were about 20 contestants: 10 for the girl's category, and 10 for the male category. Kai led you to the upper part of the auditorium since it's your first time inside. What you didn't understand was that all of you were asked to wear your ballet uniforms which you considered weird since you were just going to be given reminders. Your teacher walked up the stage and grabbed the mic.

"Alright, listen up students, we'll make this activity quick." your teacher started. Your brows knotted in curiousity.

Hmm?

"There were some change of plans. The "Art of the Art Week" will hold its "Fleur de Belle" tomorrow, right?"

"Ne~" the crowd cooed.

"We had to alter some points for tomorrow. Apparently, there will not be enough time to hold the actual part, so for the sake of having to choose the lead roles for the annual ballet recital, I, together with the school administration and performing arts teachers, decided to hold a surprise elimination today."

The crowd gasped in shock. You automatically felt a knot in your stomach. Kai noticed your tensed expression and held your hand. You looked up to him. He smiled weakly at you.

"Hey. Don't be nervous. You'll do great." he tried to cheer you up. You smiled a bit but felt even more nervous.

"Each contestant will dance off to a random song we will play. Do free style and we will determine who continues with tomorrow's event. In all, there will only be 10 contestants: 5 boys and 5 girls. This way, we can maximize the time, and we can determine the lead roles easier. Let's start."

Your heart was thumping really fast. You tried to cool yourself down. You closed your eyes as the first guy was called. Kai was the third one to be called.

"Fighting, Kai oppa!" you pumped your fists. He smiled at you before heading to the stage.

This is my chance to impress her.

As always, Kai danced like a floor god. His moves were really smooth and he got the beat perfectly. You saw the judges were watching him attentively. He ended with a dramatic pose and bowed. You clapped fervently.

Kai oppa is really amazing. 7 more guys were called, and the girls would be next. You closed your eyes and waited for the name to be called.

"Hwang Ullie of 1PA-5, please go to the stage."

Your eyes shot open upon hearing the name. Oh yeah, she's a ballerina too, now I remember. You quickly remembered Kai was sitting beside you. You looked at his startled expression. He still feels uncomfortable when he hears her name. Both of you looked at the stage and saw a beautiful Ullie standing in the middle of the stage. She looked like a princess in her white ballet uniform and high bun. You felt intimidated by her aura. She flashed a confident smile. The music started and she hopped and skidded to the beat. She did a couple of flips and turns which made the crowd "Ooh" and "Aah". After she finished, the crowd, as well as the judges clapped.

Wow. She's really good.

The other 8 were called. It didn't help you to be the last, either. You watched some who were really good, some made awkward movements.. and you feared that you would be one of them. Watching Kai and Ullie do great, you were sure they will be called for tomorrow's competition.

"Kim Miji of 1PA-2, please proceed."

Your heart thumped louder and louder as you made your way to the stage. You felt your knees gone jello. You squinted at the bright light the was focused on you. You stood and bowed your head.

. .

You can do it, Miji. You're a princess yourself.

The music played. You lifted your head slowly with a shocked expression. You knew this song. You heard this when you were little. This was a very familiar tune to you. You danced to it often during your childhood.

The "Finale" of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake Ballet blasted through the speakers. You closed your eyes for the first 10 seconds, and breathed heavily. Your expression changed into a rather gloomy one, remembering your past. You danced gracefully as how you felt as the song accelerated to its es and high points.

"No, Miji-ah, you have to understand, you need to stay at home for your safety. Appa and omma are very rich, we fear that you might get bullied in school, and be taken advantage of. You're too young for that." your mom told you when you were a child. Since then you were home-schooled.

"Do you understand, Kim Miji?" your father asked you with a seriously.

"Ne, appa." you said while bowing your head.

"It's for your own good." you mom said carressing you back.

You were not crying. In fact, you were more than happy to know that your parents finally agreed to your appeal. "It's better this way, I guess." you thought to yourself.

Hiding your true identity is never easy. You were limited with certain things. No one knows you're the daughter of the famous Kim Yeul Han, the founder of Sui Generis, the co-owner of many perfumery, and shoe brands, and the manager of many business firms in Korea. It was hard at first, especially hiding yourself from Exo. You felt like you were cheating on them. Only Cho Young and Luhan were the only ones who knew. But as the days passed, you felt the hang of it.

It's the best for them not to know about me. I don't want anything to change. They'll find me intimidating. Teachers will treat me nicely. I wouldn't want that.

You slowly felt hot tears forming in your eyes as you danced. The song's tempo changed to a more happy tune. You then remembered your moments with Exo. You remembered your first day, and the farm day with Kai. You danced with a light feeling in your heart. You quickly smiled as you remembered the happy moments you had with your first friends. You made a turn gracefully and ended with a simple pose:

with a small smile on your lips, and a tear of joy slid down your white cheeks. Just that moment, the last note of the song ended.

One teacher sitting among the small crowd stood up from his seat and clapped. The rest of the students followed, except for Ullie.

She was... amazing.

You looked at the crowd and smiled. You bowed and turned to go back to your seat. Kai smiled at you and pinched your cheeks.

"You were beautiful." he said honestly. Blush crept to your cheeks.

After a few minutes, one of the teachers stood on the stage.

"Okay, we have chosen the 10 contestants for tomorrow's "Fleur de Belle"." he said, "Hwang Ullie of 1PA-5" the list follows until the last two.

"Kim Jongin of 1PA-2." you smiled widely at him.

"WAAAH OPPA!" you hugged him. You quickly pulled away after realizing what you did.

"And last but not the least, Kim Miji of 1PA-2." your eyes widened. You didn't expect to be called since you didn't really had your mind at your performance. Kai smiled at you.

"Guess we'll see each other again, tomorrow, on stage?" he asked. You smiled at him.


Chapter 15, done. :)

Sorry for the late update. :( Hope you enjoyed this one, though.

Stay tuned, yes? ♥