Mr. MVP (part 1)

Mr. MVP

My MVP

Dear You,

                I don’t want people to know who we both are, but I know you know who I am, and who you are. So I’ll just refer to you as You.

                It all began in our last year in middle school. We met through common friends and after a couple of months you decided to court me. On our first year in high school, I gave you my answer. I became your girlfriend. We even entered the same university and took the same course after graduating from high school. And now, everytime I see your face, everything we once had comes back to me.

                I was once your number one fan, cheering for you every time you have a game. I was the one carrying your water bottle, I was the one guarding your bags on the bench while you are inside the court playing, I was the one wiping your sweat every time out.

                I feel butterflies when you look at me and wink whenever you shoot a point, and every time you do that, people watch it all unfold. You always win that is why I am so proud of you. You’re the star player of the team. You aren’t only good looking, you were also tall and kind, that’s why girls flock around you.

                Do you still remember when one of your fans told me to hold the camera and take a picture of you two? I didn’t think she knew I was your girlfriend.

“Babe, come here, join us. Girls. Meet my future wife.” You told them.

                You never let me feel jealous when your so-called fangirls are around, instead, you make them jealous of me. When we entered college, do you still remember your first try outs for our department’s basketball team? You were so nervous you looked like you’ll pass out. You kept on telling me you wouldn’t make it to the team. I kept on motivating you, telling you that you’re the best player I know and that you will be accepted on the team. When results came out, I was so happy for you I was crying, I was so proud, you made it to the team.

                My expectations were right, and you became the star player of the team. You always dominate the game. You’re always the MVP. You became really popular because of those wins but I never felt threatened because I knew I was the only one.  I was with you all the time, cheering for you, taking pictures of you and giving you strength.

The first two years in college was fine, and on the third year, you came to our classroom and told me the good news.

“I was accepted at the university’s varsity basketball team!” You excitedly told me.

                I knew nothing will ever be the same. Your responsibilities piled up, you couldn’t walk me home anymore because you need to stay in the athlete’s quarters, but I was fine with that because I knew you were living your dream happily. But there came a point in time where I couldn’t see you in class because of training, you couldn’t eat lunch with me because of your tight schedule, and your coach told you not to meet with your girlfriend for the time being. You couldn’t take it, you tried your best every time you can to escape training just to see me.

                Once, you even called me, you were depressed because the coach got mad at you for not attending your training. You were called irresponsible and even told you you had an attitude problem, all because you wanted to do your best as my boyfriend. And even though you knew very well that you were going to get scolded for seeing me and escaping training, you still did it, and I appreciate everything you did.

                But I’ve come to a realization, I have to make a distance from you. I didn’t want to be the reason why you couldn’t achieve your dreams, call me selfish but I did what I had to do. I love you, that’s why I had to let you go. I lied to you telling you I found someone new, but being you, you begged me to stay, you kneeled right in front of me telling me that you’re willing to give up your team just to be with me again but I declined, forced myself to act cold, and walked away from you. I left you without a proper goodbye, and I heard from some of your team mates how depressed you were.

                But look at you now. You’ve reached your goals, you’re living your dreams, and I know you’re very happy. And I too am happy for you because I know I made the right decision. Your games are now broadcasted on live TV. I can now watch you not only on the screen but also on the venue of your games. I never dared make myself visible to you, I never let you see me. Why? Because I am ashamed and at the same time I am scared that you might hate me when you see me.

                You already have someone new cheering for you.  You have a new inspiration and that isn’t me, you hug her everytime the game ends. It hurts. The six years worth of memories we once have will now be forgotten. But I want you to know that even though almost two years have passed now, you’re still my MVP, the one and only MVP of my life, and I am still your number one fan.

                Good luck on your next game, I hope you take the crown. Don’t mind this post even if you read it. I am not against you and her.

E.P

2011

Anonymous Department

EAU