She's hiding something

The secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning, sunshine!” Mommy barges into my bedroom. It’s Saturday morning now and she got home at midnight. “Wakey-wakey,” She tickles my cheek and I groan annoyingly.

“Mommy, it’s Saturday, the day I don’t have to wake up early in the morning to go to school!”

“I bought you London Double Decker Hot Wheels, Squirt.”

“You already bought me the last time you went there.” I mumble irritatingly.

“Hmm, what about that white Camaro?”

Now that picks my interest. I remove the blanket from over my head and look at her, “You mean White Enamel Camaro 1968? Mommy, that’s rare and expensive!”

She giggles, “Or I can paint the double decker white.”

I know I shouldn’t fall for her trap. “Mommy, you’re so annoying! Ugh!” I groan and put the blanket covering my head again.

“Come on, Squirt,” She laughs and pulls my blanket down my head.

“Mommy!” I whine.

A half hour later I already sit on dining room and have breakfast with my family. I’m still sleepy though so I’m not joining into their conversation as much. I just eat my toast in peace until I remember something.

“Mommy, did you really just get home last night?”

“Uh, yeah, why?”

“Mirae said he saw you at Four Season.” Mama answers for me and Mommy suddenly coughs. She hands her a glass of water which Mommy takes it gracefully. “Easy there, slow down,” Mama says as she gently caresses Mommy’s back.

“Sorry not sorry,” Mommy grins after minutes. “I was away for a week. I missed your cooking.” She kisses Mama’s temple. “It’s delicious by the way.”

Mama scoffs but also smiles, “It’s just a toast.”

“Your toast is like made by a Michelin 3-star chef.” Mommy says and Mama nudges her side.

Yerim groans, “Get a room!”

“They’re not kissing?” I tell my sister.

“Read the room then.” Yerim scoffs, “Not in front of my salad.”

“We eat toast?” Both of my mothers chuckle and Yerim sighs heavily, “What did I do wrong?”

“Squirt, just drop it,” Mommy giggles, “So, Yerim, when do you want to take a look at some unis?”

“I don’t know, Mom. I don’t feel like I’m ready.”

“What’s unis?”

“Plural of university, baby,” Mama tells me. “It’s higher level than senior high school.”

“You mean med school?”

“That or law school and else, it depends on what academic degree you take.” Yerim answers.

“Mommy went to law school then since you’re a lawyer?”

“Yep, that’s right, kiddo!”

“So… Yerim will become, what, a med-er?” They all are bursting into a laughter. “What? I’m so confused!”

“Oh, Squirt, what should I do with you…” Mommy laughs, wiping the tears from the corner of her eyes. Do you know what funny though? I know Mommy’s hiding something. Do you notice how she changed the subject when I asked her? That’s what I do when I try to lie.

After breakfast, we gather in the living room. Mommy hogs Mama! I already told you that Mommy sometime like a leech, right? Look at her, wrapping her limbs on Mama’s body. Yerim is looking for something on her laptop and I sneak back to my bedroom.

I turn on my walkie-talkie, “Sai, are you there?” I wait and no response. “Sai, do you copy?”

I hear a static noise before a clear answer, “Hi, Squirt!”

“Oh,”

“What’s up with the tone? Are you disappointed it’s not Desire?”

“It’s not like that, Ney.” I chuckle, “Where’s your twin? Why are you in his room?” That’s Destiny. They have separate room.

“He’s with Mum.” She answers, “Do you need something? I can pass your message to Desire later.”

“Nope,” I say. “Just tell him I call.”

I hear a heavy sigh from Destiny, “Why do you never ask me to play with you anymore? It’s always you and Desire.”

“Uh… because you play with your friends?”

“At school, not at home!”

I chuckle, hearing her sulk. “Okay, well… maybe later sometime.”

“Desire told me you were grounded, Squirt. What did you do?” She starts being nosy, “Oh scratch it, I know you we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter