Tree house

The secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Days went by and suddenly it’s semester again. Yerim had a breakdown yesterday and Mama said it’s because of stress. My sister freaks out about her grade. She cries if she doesn’t get perfect score. I admire her because she cares so much about her education but I hate her because she’s being too hard on herself. So what if she’s not rank 1st? It’s not the end of the world. I rank 7th and I’m still awesome. Mama and Mommy don’t give a big deal about it. They said we’re still their kids no matter what, there’s still so much thing beside formal education.

“Hi, baby,” Mama kisses the top of my head as I lay down on the couch, reading monthly automotive magazine. “Dinner’s ready.” She tells me. “Go tell your sister and ask her to join us, please.”

I close the magazine and get up, “No.” I say. “You do it, Mama. Yerim is scary nowadays. She’s like a grenade ready to explode if I poke her in the wrong side.”

Mama chuckles, “She’s not that scary. She’s just stressed out.”

“Nope,” I shake my head. “She will be mad at me but she won’t be mad at you.”

She pinches my nose, “Fine. You call Mommy then. She’s in her office.”

“That I can do, Mama.” I head to Mommy’s office and the door is open so I go straight inside. She doesn’t see me because her position is back-facing the door. I hear her talking with someone.

“You have no idea. She’s so y!” Mommy says on the phone. “Her body is to die for, and when I touch her, my God… she’s so smooth!” Is she talking about my Mama? I did hear Mommy said that Mama is y occasionally, but why does Mama’s body makes Mommy wants to die? I don’t understand.

“Mommy,” I call and she startles.

“Squirt!” She scolds me and then talks on the phone again. “I gotta go, talk to you later, Wan.” She hangs up the phone and then faces me again, “Knock much, hmm?”

“The door’s open.” I shrug and approaches her.

“That doesn’t mean you can barge inside unannounced.”

I ignore her and then ask her question, “Who were you talking to before, Mommy?”

“Your Aunty Seungwan,” She says.

“Were you talking about Mama?”

She squints her eyes, “Why do you wanna know?”

“I heard you say something about ‘her’ being y.”

Mommy widens her eyes, “Whoa, hold on! Don’t tell me you eavesdropped before!”

I grin, “Accidentally, Mommy.”

“You need to learn about –”

“Boundary, privacy, and respect.” I cut her off with a grin on my face, and she doesn’t look happy about it. “I know, Mommy. I’m sorry.”

She sighs heavily, “Mama’s right. You take so much after me and that’s annoying sometimes. I feel like I’m arguing with myself but in mini version of me.” She huffs, “Why did you come here anyway?”

“Oh, Mama asked me to tell you that dinner’s ready.” I stand beside her now and take a glance at her computer screen, “Whoa!” She quickly closes the window and glares at me. “Mommy, do you still want to buy that Ninja?”

She shushes me immediately, telling me to be quiet. “Okay, I’m gonna be honest with you.” She says. “Yes, I still wanna buy that Ninja but –” She quickly adds before I can say anything else. “I won’t do it.”

I whine, “Why?”

“Mama says no. You know that.”

“And since when did you listen to Mama?” I .

Mommy tweaks my ear, “Since the first time we were dating and you weren’t even in the picture!”

“What picture?”

“Never mind, it’s just figure of speech.” She sighs, “Let’s go have a dinner before Mama calls us.” Mommy grabs me by the shoulders and pushes me out of her office.

I turn my head a little just so I can see her, “So, who did you call y?”

“Ninja,” Mommy mumbles.

“I thought you were talking about Mama. She’s no longer y for you? Ah, Mommy!” I rub my head, “Why did you hit me?!”

“I didn’t hit you. It was just a gentle loving smack.” She messes my hair and I groan. “And Mama will always be the iest woman alive for me.”

I scoff, “I don’t understand you. I can’t find Mama’s iness though.”

She smiles lovingly at me, “Later when you find the one you love the most… you will understand that iness isn’t always about too much revealing of skin, buddy.”

“What’s the meaning of too much revealing of skin?”

“You know, , ness, and you name it – aw!” Mommy suddenly shrieks because Mama just flicks her ear hard.

“Stop teaching my son about inappropriate thing, Kang Seulgi.” Mama sternly says.

“I wasn’t!” Mommy says.

“I think it’s appropriate, Mama.” I defend my birthmother. “Mommy just told me that you’re the iest woman alive and it’s not because you reveal too much skin.”

“That’s my boy!” Mommy ruffles my hair proudly.

Mama blushes a little bit, “Just sit and let’s eat.” We comply and I see Yerim is already there, filling her plate with meals.

I join her, stuffing my mouth with Mama’s cooking. Oh, I suddenly remember something! “I think the reason why Mama doesn’t reveal too much skin because the last time she did it, she got a nasty bug bite, right?”

Mommy chokes on her food and then she coughs violently. Mama’s cheeks burn red but she still manages to give a glass of water for Mommy. Yerim snorts a laughter and then it becomes louder, “Soon enough that bug bite excuse won’t do anymore.” My sister says between her laugh. I’m glad that finally Yerim can laugh after days being gloomy.

“Bae Yerim,” Mama warns her.

“What? Did I say something wrong?”

“Nope,” Mommy quickly says, “Not at all, kiddo. Hey, has your automotive magazine arrived yet?”

“Yes, Mommy,” I tell her. “I was halfway finish reading it when Mama asked me to call you for dinner before.”

“Hmm, is there anything int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter