What's puberty?

The secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do you know anything about puberty? I don’t – let alone second puberty. I don’t know what that means, but Mama keeps saying that to Mommy because my birthmother apparently wants to buy a huge motorcycle. I mean like a huge, huge!

I always have a thing for cars, but now Mommy showed me the motorcycle, I love it instantly! Kawasaki Ninja H2R all black with purple accent on its stripes (that’s Mama’s favorite color by the way), Mommy wants to buy one for herself. That’s why she went to the hotel. There was an automobile exhibition that time and she attended to see more about the motorcycle she wants.

“Mommy, that’s awesome!” I cheer on her but she pouts then sighs heavily. She even rolls her eyes at me. What did I do wrong?

“I know, Squirt.” Mommy says.

“So you’ll buy it?”

“Over my dead body,” Mama replies sternly.

“What? Why?” I ask. “Mama, look at this!” I hand her a catalogue, “And see, it’s purple!”

“And it’s still no from me.”

“Mama…” I try again. “It has 250 mph. Do you know what cars have that speed? McLaren Speedtail, Bugatti Veyron and Bugatti Chiron, Koenigsegg –”

“Enough,” Mama cuts me off. “I know you know so much about cars, but even so, I won’t let Mommy to buy sport car. And we’re talking about motorcycle here.” She sighs and glares at Mommy, “Do you know the different between motorcycle and car accident? Studies and statistics regarding motorcycle accidents have proven deaths in motorcycle accidents are approximately 30 times higher than fatalities in car accidents.”

Mommy takes a deep breath, “Actually, motorcycle accidents result in injury or death 8% of the time while car accidents result in injury or death 20% and –”

Mama groans, “Are you being serious right now, Kang Seulgi? Do you really want to do this?” Oh no, I think Mama’s mad for real this time. I see her seething.

“I don’t mean –” Mommy shrinks under Mama’s hard glare.

But Mama continues, “Motorcycles only have two wheels, no seatbelts or airbags, and of course, are much smaller than other vehicles. Furthermore, motorcycles lack the protection of being enclosed and shielded by metal. Motorcycle accidents often result in injury and are more difficult to handle than car accidents!”

“Uh…” I interrupt them, “Why are we talking about accident again?”

“Because it’s the absolute reason why Mommy shouldn’t buy motorcycle!”

“Joohyun,” Mommy sighs. “I’m not gonna hit the road, just ride in the neighborhood –”

“Who do you try to impress, huh? That new neighbor two blocks from here? She’s young and pretty.”

“My God!” Mommy groans, “It has nothing to do with that kind of crap! I don’t have second puberty syndrome!”

“Then what?!”

“Mama, Mommy,” I interrupt them again. I don’t like to see them fighting. Slowly they take a deep breath to calm their hot .

“Like I said before,” Mama says with finality in her voice, “Sure, you can buy it. You have money for it, but –” She adds sternly, “Over my dead body.” She leaves us, heading to her bedroom.

Mommy grunts, making me turn to look at her. “Will you still buy it?”

“You heard your Mama, Squirt.”

“But you bought your new car without her permission first.”

“Yes, because it’s easier for me to apologize later than to ask your Mama’s permission. That’s why I do it secretly, but this time… you ruined it, kiddo.”

I huff, “You should just tell me, Mommy. I can keep secret.”

She scoffs, “You? I doubt it.”

“I’m not lying!” I tell her. “Me and Sai have a secret –” I bulge my eyes and quickly cover my mouth with my hand. Wow! I can’t believe I almost give my secret out to my birthmother!

“You and Desire have a secret? What is it?”

“Umm… it’s nothing, Mommy.”

“You know I will know whatever it is that you’re hiding, right?”

“I’m not hiding anything.”

“Uh huh… let’s see,” Mommy squints her eyes. “You ruined mine and I will reveal your secret soon! Or no more automotive magazine for three months.”

“Mommy!”

She sticks her tongue out, teasing me. “Oh, speaking of –”

“Kang Mirae,” Mama comes back. Oh no… “Don’t think for a second I forget about what you did in the hotel before.”

I grin sheepishly, “I’m just getting started.” Mommy huffs.

“Can we all just let it go? I mean, I’m not lying when I said I saw Mommy.” I try. “Mommy’s the one who’s lying and I just did something to prove it.”

“I don’t like where this is going.” Mommy mumbles.

“Don’t even start, Kang Mirae.” Mama says. “Yes, Mommy’s wrong for lying. But you rode your bike so far away from home! You could have get into an accident! You could get hit by a car!”

“But I didn’t, Mama –”

“Not to mention dangerous stunt you pulled in the hotel basement. Smoke balls, really? What were you thinking?!”

“Distract and divert strategy?” I answer automatically.

Mommy hisses, “Squirt, stop talking!”

“What? Mama asked!”

“Kang Seulgi, go take a shower. Let me handle my son.”

“He’s my son too – okay, I’m going.” Mommy huffs. She kisses her on the cheek when she passes Mama. “Don’t be too hard on him.”

“Hmm,” Mama replies. Now it’s Mommy’s turn to leave us. “Sit,” She says, p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter